What's new

Female Singer with the Most Beautiful Voice? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I presume this thread is about popular music singers, not classical music singers. Therefore I throw out Marni Nixon as the female singer with the most beautiful voice.

She was dubbed in to sing in most of the famous film musicals. From IMDB: " For those who think film superstars such as Deborah Kerr, Natalie Wood and Audrey Hepburn possessed not only powerhouse dramatic talents but amazing singing voices as well...think again. Kerr's Anna in The King and I (1956), Natalie's Maria in West Side Story (1961) and Audrey's Eliza in My Fair Lady (1964) were all dubbed by the amazing Marni Nixon, and nowhere in the credits will you find that fact. "

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i don't know that i'd call any of these my all time favorites but they'd make the top 10 and haven't been listed yet.
1. Martha Wainwright - saughter of loudon III, sister of rufus, neice of sloan. good songs, original voice. click here and try "far away" for a listen. in the vain of mann, maclaughlin, amos, cat power, etc.
2. Abbey Lincoln - i'm really not into jazz vocals but sometimes i get over my aversion because she is just that good.
3. Amy Winehouse - if you haven't heard of her.... you will. she'll be a household name in 6-12 months i expect. her page. think lauren hill meets joss stone?
4. what the hell, joss stone's pretty good too.
nice thread. i agree with almost everyone on the list. :)

C

Chris*Liberti

For me I would have to say the following:

Siouxsie Sioux

Sarah Vaughn

Nina Simone

Ari Up

Bjork

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info Dennis,I've never heard of Marni Nixon and I had no idea she sang in those movies,they were huge productions. I figured this thread covered all female singers,not just the pop female singers, that's why I mentioned Hayley Westenra ,another name you'll be hearing more of in the near future.

mermaidhelen

Auditioning
Real Name
helen
About charlotte Church...Seriously? She is absolutely tone deaf. I've never made it through an entire song because she grates on my nerves each time she goes off key. uggg

mermaidhelen

Auditioning
Real Name
helen
About Linda Ronstadt....loved her voice in the 70s, However, I got free tickets to a show of hers a few years ago. I was so excited!. Then it quickly turned to shock as she began to butcher each and every song. Her voice kept getting loud and screetchy, then soft and mumbly, like she was drunk or something. It was by far the worst performance I've ever seen. My mom, who is the sweetest woman and would never judge anyone, actually suggested we leave mid show because it was like nails on a chalk board! I was so so sad to hear what she was doing. She also had this really creepy attitude. A man called out a song in between songs and she actually said "If you read your ticket you would have seen that it said Linda and orchestra, and you would not be asking me to play songs that are not part of what I do now" so rude. Well, at least it was free.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
My two cents, in no particular order:
Sarah Brightman
Tarja Turunen (ex-Nightwish)
Anneke Van Giersbergen
Floor Jansen (Revamp)
Simone Simons (Epica...also my vote for All-Time Most Beautiful Woman Ever to Grace Music)
Melissa Ferlaak (Echoterra)
Annie Haslam
Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation)
Lisa Gerrard
Manuela Kraller (Xandria...AMAZING voice)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
PatH,
I like Charlotte Church as well. I don't have a pick for the most beautiful (too subjective), but I do like the quality of Church's voice. I also like the voices of Judith Durham and Annie Haslam. In early music, my favorites are probably Andrea von Ramm and Sally Dunkley.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/145700/female-singer-with-the-most-beautiful-voice/120#post_3116502
Glad to see this thread resurrected. Amazed at one omission.
Most beautiful female voice = Lea Salonga. She has the voice of an angel.
I am a HUGE Diana Krall fan. She is one terrific jazz singer/entertainer.
But as far as pure voices go, Lea is the one! :D
I made this post five years ago in this thread...and it's nice to know things haven't changed (for me).

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Okay, now I'm feeling downright ancient. I just scrolled through all six pages, and found only ONE mention of Judy Garland, and that wasn't until the
fifth page. And NO mention of Barbara Cook. I'd add more, but I have to go replace the bamboo needle in my gramophone.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mermaidhelen said:
About charlotte Church...Seriously? She is absolutely tone deaf. I've never made it through an entire song because she grates on my nerves each time she goes off key. uggg
Agree 100%.
She sang on Graham Norton's show or something I saw on BBC. I'd never heard her before and was looking forward to it, but it was awful. Maybe just having a bad day, but she was definitely off key through most of the performance.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
The 3 female singers that just completely make me melt:
1. Judy Garland (can't believe she only got 2 mentions in 6 pages!) I've been in love with her since I was a kid. If I could build a time machine, I'd go back to the 1940's and whisk her away from that evil Louis B. Mayer!
2. Karen Carpenter-the voice of an angel!
3. Olivia Newton-John-I melt like butter when I hear her voice! Didn't know until just recently that she was best friends with Karen Carpenter.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think I can safely add Adele to my short list.
Adele has a great voice. Though, I'm not sure that it fits my own idea of "Beautiful" Her voice seems a bit deeper to me than I generally prefer.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Skylar Grey. My favorite song from her is Room for Happiness. Look on Youtube: search Skylar Gray Hook Medley

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Some female artists mentioned in this thread I've never heard of, so shall listen to some of their music at some point.

Going to sound like a cracked grammophone record, but a lady whose voice sticks in my mind after hearing her voice is Beverley Craven. She was a one-hit wonder in the UK music singles chart, back in in 1991 with the track Promise Me.

In no particular order, some of my favourite female artists (their voices) are:

Chrissie Hynde
Gladys Knight
Patti LaBelle
Dorothy Moore
Stevie Nicks

Deniece Williams.

Those are the female artists I can think of at the moment.

Zimbobway

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Lord Zimlich
I agree with most choices but I can't believe nobody thought about Judith Durham, best known as singer for the Seekers. Her voice is strong, clear and bright and resonates like a bell. She not only has perfect pitch, but stage presence like precious few. Her signature song, "I'll Never Find Another You" is the best rendition of Tom Springfield's song ... even better than Tom's sister, Dusty. If you are not familiar with Judith, search for 'Seekers' on You Tube. She will capture your heart.
Robert Lord Zimlich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks