What's new

Female Singer with the Most Beautiful Voice? (1 Viewer)

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Raul Marquez said:
Mike,

Your post above brought brought tears to my eyes. As a father myself I cannot possibly even begin to feel what you must have gone through. May you enjoy your collection listening to Karen's beautiful voice.

You may also be interested in several DVD's of The Carpenters which I watch every now and then:

The Carpenters - Gold Greatest Hits (~ $16 on Amazon)

The Best Of The Carpenters - Live in Japan (~ $24 on Amazon)

Close To You: Remembering The Carpenters (~ $17 on Amazon)

Video quality is not that great, but remember that these were filmed or taped back in the 70's.

Still I don't regret buying these.

Thank you for your kind words Dr Marquez.

On Sunday afternoon, we sure did get a kick out of that collection of music by Karen and Richard Carpenter.

Had not told my wife that I was going to put on their music. Started the first disc of Carpenters Gold a few minutes

before Nina walked in, following a trip she'd just made to the grocery store.

In no time she was singing along with more than half of the songs. The Carpenters were popular on the radio long

before I met my wife, so I was surprised to discover that Nina knew songs that I didn't remember ever hearing. And

while not close to Karen Carpenter's level, my wife has a very pleasant singing voice, IMHO. Later, I told Nina that

her singing had been judged as pleasant enough to the ears of at least one set of tough music critics, since neither

of our 2 dogs had howled even once.

Anyway, we really enjoyed that music Sunday. And I really got a kick out of seeing how much my wife got into it.

Unlike me, she has never been a fan of hard rock, so the only time I'm likely to hear her singing along with The Who,

Jethro Tull, or Led Zeppelin, is when I'm dreaming.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
vidiot33 said:
My choices (in no particular order):
Diana Krall
Karen Carpenter
Julie Andrews
Barbra Streisand

My wife and I like all of those singers, and have CDs by all of them, except for Julie Andrews. But, of course, we have some of her singing on the Blu-ray

of The Sound of Music. Love to even just hear Ms Andrews speak in her various film roles. In fact, you just reminded me, if indirectly, that I want to order the film "The Americanization of Emily" in which Ms Andrews co-stars with James Garner, who actually got top billing because the film came out before Ms Andrews won her Oscar for Mary Poppins, and also "Emily" was in theaters the year before The Sound of Music was released.

BTW, vidiot33, do you like Judy Collins? I can't recommend "Colors of the Day", the CD of her best songs, strongly enough. Her version of "Suzanne" which was written by Leonard Cohen, is both beautiful and haunting. And I don't usually appreciate people doing covers of Lennon/McCartney songs, but what Ms Collins does with "In My Life" is very special. The orchestrations on the CD are as pretty as one could ask for. Finally, I wanted to mention a

song entitled "My Father" On this song, the singing, the lyrics, the orchestral accompaniment, everything is simply perfect. But as a father who once had a daughter, I know that when that lovely song comes on, there will be tears down my face.

Anyway, I hope that you get an opportunity to hear some gorgeous music, that my words were not adequate to properly describe. Take care.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
An old song...but find it...both ways...

Minnie Riperton* Les Fleurs

Then find...(Don't do it at work)

Saam Farahmand Les Fleurs Rogue (you'll thank me...and then...you may not...)

*Maya Rudolph's mother

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I felt smart knowing Rashida Jones was the daughter of Quincy Jones and Peggy Lipton.

I try to keep up on my pop culture...but the Maya Rudolph info never reached me. Hmmmph.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Mike Frezon said:
I felt smart knowing Rashida Jones was the daughter of Quincy Jones and Peggy Lipton.

I try to keep up on my pop culture...but the Maya Rudolph info never reached me. Hmmmph.
Have you partaken in that video yet?

One of the best 90 second short films* you will ever see. The entire series is well done. And, well...you'll know why I didn't link it.

*Calling it a video short doesn't seem right.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
moviebuff75 said:
Judy Garland

Karen Carpenter

Stevie Nicks

Barbra Streisand

Patsy Cline

Dolly Parton

Rita Coolidge

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in, for a minute. In the history of outstanding songs, "Crazy", as sung by the great Patsy Cline, has to be among the top handful of the very best. And it's interesting how often the song can be heard in the background of various movies.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Got two to rouse everybody's lazy Sunday...

Edit:

Found the version I wanted to share...

For those late to the Sundfor party...where you heard her...

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
schan1269 said:
Holy hell is this brilliant...

schan1269, if you were a teacher, I'd say that you were a very, very generous one, in assigning grades, to the work that you judge.

The presentation of Too Young to Fall in Love, that I heard on your post, has one or two interesting lines of lyrics, along with one line repeated far too much, and all of them, sung by a young woman with a fairly good voice. But calling the song brilliant, is a really big stretch, IMO.

To me, that song simply doesn't seem like one that such artists as Adele, Joni Mitchell, or Tori Amos, would be proud to list as one of their compositions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks