What's new

Felt on speaker baffle? (1 Viewer)

Brandon B

Second Unit
What is the correct felt for applying to the baffle arouind a tweeter to minimize reflections?

I'm looking in McMaster care at the SAE graded felt F-1 to F-26. THe F-1 is very hard and incompressible, the F-26 very compressible and softer, fluffier, but far less actual wool content.

The material descriptions indicate the lower F numbers have superior vibration damping properties, but that is not exactly the goal here, more minimal sound reflection.

What do you guys use?

BB

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Branden

Use the highest wool content you can afford. Also get a thicker piece 5/8" then split it in two. It will just tear in to 2 almost equally thick sections. That way you'll have a harder finish (factory side) to put the glue on and a fluffier side to absorb.

Don't make a circular cutout for the tweeter make a square.

The piece can be cut much larger than the tweeter and actually extend down the baffle and butt up against the woofer

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
His plots prove what us oldtimers learned decades ago, real wool products works best for damping. That said, while I use it on the inside, I use polyfil to diffuse baffle reflections because it sounds best to me, though I haven't done any elaborate testing to show in what way it changes the sound.

GM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks