What's new

"Feelgood" story of 2006...and it's only February! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This story kept my family smiling all weekend.

Just realized I didn't see it posted here. Enjoy!

Autistic Rochester-area High School Hoops Player Scores Big

==============================================

EDIT** The above link does not work anymore. You'll need to go directly to CBS NEWS and follow the link at the top of the page.

Micheal's link below to the well-done ESPN version of the story also works!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Jeez. As the father of an autistic child, let me say: that one really got to me also, so don't feel alone Mark.

Thanks for the link.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
That was exceptionally cool...

I admit I went into it thinking "OK, I'm sure it's heartwarming, but you guys are wimps!". Damn if I didn't get choked up too. Put a huge smile on my face at the same time.

Thanks for sharing that Mike.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I sent the link to a group of co-workers. One of my good friends came into my office (not knowing exactly what it was) and said "Alright, I want to watch it over here".

By the end, I started chocking up again and was worried about what she'd think, but when it was over, she was crying too. LOL - definitely made us both feel warm inside. She kept saying "I want to hug him too!!!" :)

David Blair

Stunt Coordinator
This story was also on Sportscenter this weekend. You can't tell that young man he can't shoot the light out!

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I coach youth basketball...5 teams actually this season. Anyway I have an autistic boy on my second grade team and that story made me cry. Not because of the results but by how happy the kid was after he had done it.

I have tried desperately to get this kid on my team to score. He has a hard time because he doesnt have the muscle development. He actually made his first basket of his life in this weeks warm up. He had 4 attempts in the game andjust missed on 3 of them.

I gave his mom the link to this video

thanks for sharing that story with everyone...it truly is uplifting and makes you appreciate what you have in a day and age when all you see on TV is bad news...

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
As a Rochesterian, this story's been everywhere you look the last few days. And as with everybody else here, I'm not complaining at all.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I appreciate the fact that you folks have had the same reaction as me and my family...and all my co-workers, too!

I think the story has so many layers. Besides Jason and how remarkable an event for him, there are the parts played by the coach, teammates and the community.

For anyone who has dealt with kids in sports, or challenged kids, or anyone who has kids of their own...or who knows what it means to be part of a team or who roots for the underdog; for anyone who has a heart...this is a story that will touch you.

**EDIT** I just decided to check out the second link that Micheal posted (from ESPN). It was incredible to watch it all over again! :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Needed to update link in original post. CBS News asked Youtube.com to pull their story from their site.

HERE'S a CBS blog which details the copyright concerns, etc.

Interesting to note the Youtube.com link to the CBS News story got more than 1-million hits!

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I saw this on Sportscenter and they casually mention that he hasn't played since. Why the hell not???:angry: If Steve Kerr could get some playing time then certainly this kid can get a couple minutes on a high school team.:D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, not only did he have the most points in that game, but he got all of those points in less than 4 minutes!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks