What's new

Fed up with loud, proprietary power supply (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Ugh...is it over yet?

I got the case fan today, and attempted to install it...except it wouldn't fit properly. The power supply wasn't the only thing that they made "proprietary", the case fan design was done "proprietary" as well. I was able to fit the case fan on, but it's attached crooked. There's an enclosure that attached to the old case fan, but it can't fit properly on the new fan, but it fit anyway. The silver thing in the first picture is the heatsink, right? What if I take the enclosure off? Currently, I think the enclosure is only hanging off of the heatsink (or whatever it is).

http://www.users.muohio.edu/choongty/casefan/

As for the sound...I don't think my computer has ever been this quiet. Now the only noise coming from the computer is from the hard drive, but it's not too loud, so I'm not going to get an enclosure yet.

I'm fed up with how Dell constructs their computers. I plan to get my next computer from endpcnoise.com.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
The silver-coloured construction is indeed the heat sink. The plastic enclosure that is fitted over it directs air blow into or out of the heat sink and CPU and protects the assembly from dust. I'm not sure if the difference in cooling efficiency will be dramatic even if you can't fit the plastic enclosure into its place after replacing the fan, however.

Is it possible the old fan can be removed from the fan enclosure? Try first removing the four plastic pins that hold the chrome-plated finger protection thing in place (in the 4th picture), this should be easy. After this, see if you can lift the propeller and the fan motor out and replace it with your new fan. Alternatively, is it possible to open the fan assembly from the other side that is not visible in the picture?

I realize taking apart your new fan may not sound appealing, but the enclosure won't make a difference as far as noise or cooling performance is concerned.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I tried taking apart the old fan, but it seems to be all molded together. I was able to fit the enclosure that connects the heatsink and the new fan, but as I said, it's not securely attached, it's hanging off of the heatsink (and possibly the fan).

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as there is sufficient air circulation you'll be fine. Glad to hear your noise problems with this computer are history.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Not yet. :frowning: Although the hard drive is still a problem, it's considerably softer than my old fans.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's simply unreal. I just got back from classes, walked into my room, and I wondered, "Is my computer on?" Yes, it was. I'm not used to walking into my room with a computer so quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks