What's new

Feautures you'd like to see on Royal Tenenbaums Criterion Collection (hopefully) DVD (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I love this film and I would buy it in a heartbeat. I would love to see commentaries by Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson as well as the cast and seperate ones focusing on production and writing. An extensive documentary, deleted scenes, multiangle scenes, anamorphic transfer (of course), DTS track, packaging along the lines of Moulin Rouge and Fight Club, screenplay, TV spots, trailers, and Interviews with the cast. What can ya'll think of?

~Kevin

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
It'll probably end up as a Vista Series disc if Anderson wants to do a special edition. They're stopped farming out SEs to Criterion from what I've heard.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
As much as I would love to see a Criterion release of this great film (which was going through my head the entire time I was watching), I really doubt that it'll happen.

I would also have to say this is going to end up as part of the Vista Collection.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I can't say that I really want to see a movie like The Royal Tenenbaums loaded out with gimmicky features like some spectacle movie. Multi-angles are fine for some purposes, but can anyone give a good example of something related to this film that would be enhanced by a multi-angle presentation?

I'm definitely interested in the writing process involved in Wes Anderson's features. A screenplay on the disc would be excellent, perhaps even working drafts, something few DVDs delve into. I'd LOVE to see a featurette talking with Anderson about his method of selecting music for his films, since the songs he uses are such a large part of his style. I'd also like to hear more about the cinematography, since The Royal Tenenbaums, much like Rushmore, has some very distinct color and composition choices that distinguish it from most films.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Mark me down as another who thinks that we won't see this film as part of the Criterion Collection.
Buena Vista stopped licensing out their titles, and if exceptions are to be made - I doubt they would choose a current release that has done pretty well at the boxoffice (relatively speaking) with $26M gross.
A title like this would do very well with DVD sales/rentals.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Here is to hoping that it will make an appearance under the Criterion banner.

I would be very interested in the scripting, and a draft version would be most enlightening. I have to also second maybe an interview with Wes and Co on the music selection. I've also become a huge fan of the informative text commentary. Something that can cover some of the esoterics not covered in an audio commentary.

The other thing I felt when watching this is that there are several ways a scene could play out depending on the delivery of the actor. If they had any alternate takes of some scenes, like the dinner table when Ritchie is convincing everyone to let Royal back in. I never had the feeling like there was much improvisation, but if there was, seeing some of that could also be fun. I liked what they did on The Score, because the improvs with Brando were pretty funny.

Multi-angle? On what?

Ritchie's suicide attempt?
That could be a gruesome feature.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Not to be defensive, but I thought the point was that it was brutal and inappropriate for minors. Even moreso than say prizefighting. Much like most of his outings with the kids, proving that he still wasn't a good parental figure despite his efforts to be.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'd love to see at least two commentarys hopefully more, mulit angel would be very cool here , because there is so much of the produciton design that's just hinted at in the film, I wanna look through the entire hall game closet, I think I saw the clasic version of Risk in there! as a matter of fact a cool feature would be to navigate the house looking at all the cool things that are simply placed everywhere. :)
beign able to see the full page shown for the chapters, chapters stop at the chapters in the film, and only there.
commentary's should be one with wes and owen, another with all the principle cast (fun one), another one with wes and procution designers etc. A featurette on choosing the music, and mixing the snippets to the film.
and much more, this should be a two disc set with high quality vieo adn sound on the first platter (DD and DTS) and everythign else on teh second, anamorphic widescreen of course. teh best thing about a criterion edition would be teh double alpha case :) but probably not with the awesome one sheet artwork. :frowning:
Adam

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The film is so visually sumptuous that I'd like to see as many bits as possible devoted to video. This means:

a. no more than a single commentary track;

b. subtitles only, no alternate language tracks; and

c. no DTS.

M.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
You know, you hit a point there. I could see myself calibrating my HT just to help evoke the color schemes a little better. I mean, you really get the whole palatte. Pinks, purples, that bizarre tan/yellow powder. I think this one deserves some mention for cinematography and production design. A nomination at least.

Patrick_J

Agent
My wish list for the Tenenbaums DVD would include at least a commentary track from Wes and hopefully something from Mr. Hackman as well. I thought he was stellar in this film.

I would also like an interview or featurette on Mark Mothersbaugh (of Devo fame) on his music selection process. He's been responsible for the critical sound selections in all of Anderson's films and I would love to hear more from Mark himself on how he approaches these projects.

Last, please let us see more of the other Anderson brother (Eric ?). That was his artwork that we saw through out and covering much of the Rushmore inserts and menus as well. Anyone know if he sells his works?

-pjc

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I was under the impression that Wes Anderson really likes the Criterion Collection and asked that Rushmore be included. I've also heard that both The Royal Tenenbaums and Bottle Rocket will be issued as Criterion special editions....I could be wrong....

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The man himself stated in an interview that Criterion editions of Bottle Rocket and The Royal Tenanbaums will be coming.

I really don't know why you're all so suspicious over this matter. Even if Criterion deny they're working on it if you e-mail them, doesn't mean they aren't.

Their PR guy Jon Mulvaney denied they would release George Washington a while back, and it's coming out in two months time.

Criterion just don't like to announce stuff until it's locked, rocked and ready to roll.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
The suspicion comes from the film being a Disney picture.

I'd love to get this film on a Criterion DVD (the FIRST time!), but being a Disney owned film, I would be very surprised if that happened.

As for Bottle Rocket, it's rights are at Columbia/Tri Star, and they don't usually let Criterion do their films anymore.

Could both Bottle Rocket and Royal Tenenbaums come out from Criterion? Sure. But so could Battle Royale.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I saw something tonight that I think would be nice to include. Instead of a haphazard "behind the scenes" collage of video like the one on Rushmore, it would be nice to see the half-hour Albert Maysles profile of Wes Anderson that was on the Independent Film Channel. It was made up entirely of on-set footage and comments from Wes during post-production. No narration or a specific structure. You also got a good look at some of the artwork by Wes' brother Eric that depicted Tenenbaum family outings over the years.

As for the potential of The Royal Tenenbaums ending up as a Criterion title even though it's a Touchstone release... I'd bet that any general policy Disney has can be overridden by a contract clause. What if Wes Anderson was so set on having a Criterion DVD, he put it in the distribution contract? What if Disney and Criterion's deal for Rushmore included a "first right of refusal" for future Wes Anderson films under the Touchstone banner? Anything is possible...

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
The film is so visually sumptuous that I'd like to see as many bits as possible devoted to video. This means:
a. no more than a single commentary track;
b. subtitles only, no alternate language tracks; and
c. no DTS.
Right on! :emoji_thumbsup:

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Could both Bottle Rocket and Royal Tenenbaums come out from Criterion? Sure. But so could Battle Royale.
I don't know. I think that if a studio wants to maintain a good relationship with a director, it would be in their best interest to appease them (the directors) and let them release the film how they want. (assuming they're not going to cut their profits too much). In the case of Bottle Rocket and Tenenbaums, i don't think these dvd's will set any sales records. They're smaller films with a smaller audience. If W. Anderson really wants the dvd's to be Criterion's, I think we might see that happen.
just a thought.:)

Users who are viewing this thread