What's new

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas: Criterion -- specs are out! (1 Viewer)

Dan Brodin

Stunt Coordinator
WOW

Didn't see this one coming... Although in the back of my mind I always knew it should happen. Needless to say I am a HUGE fan of this film. A friend of mine told me about the book a few weeks before the film came out. The film was incredible but it became a great experience when adding some magic mushrooms to the mix. I actually shelved this film for a year or so considering I would watch this with a few friends practically non stop or have it playing in the background when we were hanging out. I was once told that I was the only person they ever knew that would play background movies... most people tend to play music in the background. Well I was never one to stick to conventions.

Hopefully the release date won't be too far off.

-Dan

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
drool drool!

One thing, on Criterions website it lists the AR as 2.35, I thought this film was 1.85? Probably just a typo on their end or an error on my part.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Best part yet, the sidebar says a January release. Glad I haven't broken down and bought the old disc yet (it's been in my hands more than once).

Here's hoping for Universal distribution though (again-it would make it a good $20 cheaper here)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I love this movie and I can hardly wait to own the Criterion version!! :)
The criterion site says SRP: $39.95 so Criterion seems to be distributing it.
Gregory

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Regardless of what theatrical sound format this had, I can't wait for this film in 5.1/dts. The 2.0 soundtrack on the original dvd does what it has to do, but the addition of 5.1 should round it off nicely. And oh, those extras!

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
This is one title I had on my want list from Japan because of it's DTS track there.

The only problem is it costs around $50 to get any dvd from Japan, so this is good news for me.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I can't wait to pick this one up. I've only seen FALILV once, and it was a pan+scan VHS tape. And that cover art is some of the best I've ever seen!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Great news. This is a Gilliam that I have not seen. I’m looking forward to the very first viewing!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Dolby Digtal and DTS? 2 Commentaries? Deleted Scenes?

[rant]yes... Yes... YESSSSS!!!!![/rant]

I can't wait for this DVD... I am so glad I held off on getting the first release :D

Coressel

Supporting Actor
This may be the first time I buy a DVD of a film I didn't like!
I'm a huge Gilliam fan, but didn't care for "Fear..."
But with all the great Criterion extras, I can't imagine passing this up.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Shame there won't be a seamlessly-branched extended cut, as some of the deleted scenes are hilarious and truly bizarre. But that aside, this will be a great addition to my collection. Now, if only Anchor could do a SE of Where The Buffalo Roam...
;)
Don't ya just love Criterion? :)
Gordy

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Dan Brodin wrote:
The film was incredible but it became a great experience when adding some magic mushrooms to the mix.
I tried the exact same thing, and it had the exact same effect - to make an already fascinating film truly brilliant. And interestingly, that enhanced appreciation has been sustained through all the subsequent, shroom-less viewings.
I'm pre-ordering this immediately.
--Jefferson Morris
"Two glasses of ice water with ice."

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I'm pre-ordering this immediately.
Just did it. Now I'm hoping that DVDEmpire.com fulfills their promise of delivering as soon as stock comes in. Hopefully I should get it on the 28th. And for $31 after shipping I'm happy.

Geez, Band of Brothers and LOTR box sets, AOTC, then Criterion coming out with the Four Samurai set, Monterey Pop Festival and now this? And on top of this I just got a LD player for SW and Indiana Jones, as well as all the still unreleased-as-DVD Criterion LDs. God damn, I might be eating Ramen for a month or three, but at least I'll have lots of stuff to watch! I think I might call in sick on the 12th (LOTR and AOTC). 4 day weekend!

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Hopefully I should get it on the 28th
I've got my fingers crossed that 1/28/03 is a genuine (if tentative) street date. I checked a calendar, and it is a Tuesday.

You've got to love Criterion and their committment to Gilliam (and vice versa). Now when is their Fisher King LD going to be ported over to DVD? God, I'm greedy.

--Jefferson Morris

RexW

Stunt Coordinator
Really glad I held off buying the R2 Japanese release. Will be ready in January for this one.

Patrick_J

Agent
Having been a HST fan for some time, I'd say that I am more happy to see the 70s BBC documentary on Hunter than the film. I've been searching for this video special on his political campaign in Aspen for years. Nice work Criterion!

I would second the motion for the SE of Where the Buffalo Roam. That is my preferred HST movie over Fear... Bill Murray is steallar as the good doctor.

"I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... but they're always worked for me."

-pjc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks