What's new

Fear And Loathing (Criterion) Availability? (1 Viewer)

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Is there a reason why this is so scarcely available? Best Buy told me that they weren't going to carry it...it will be available on their website only :rolleyes, no from circuit city...I was even so desperate i called Suncoast-out of luck. I don't know if this is just happening here in Wilmington, NC.....has anyone else had this problem in your area?

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
It sadly is not only in Wilmington. Here in Denver, I searched for it...The only place I could find it was Independent Records.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I had the same problem. My Best Buy only got one copy and an employee got it first. I searched 10 stores before I found it. Barnes and Noble seems to be the only place that has a good amount in stock.

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
My local Best Buy has several copies. Of course, that really doesn't help you much. There's always amazon.com.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I went to 3 Best Buys, Circuit City, Fry's Electronics, Border's Books and Tower Records. No one had it. Tower has one copy, on hold for someone. They said if I call back tomorrow night and it's still not picked up, I can have it. All the Best Buys said they got one copy, and each had one more on order. WTF... one? I know it's not Minority Report or Lilo & Stitch, but you'd think the names Johnny Depp and Benicio del Toro would have some weight!

Really been annoying me, actually. If that Tower copy gets picked up, I'll probably end up ordering it online somewhere.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i picked up my copy at best buy, they had a bunch of them. i wonder why that particular one had none. when you finally do find it, its well worth it. gilliam + criterion = dvd bliss.

CJ

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
My local Best Buy told me that they only had two on order, but that the employees already had dibs on them and they weren't going to order more, so I "shouldn't even bother". :eek: :angry: How's that for customer service?

Best Buy just lost my business for the next few months. I just pre-ordered everything I know I'm going to get soon at DeepDiscountDVD.

-Lyle J.P.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I went to two Best Buys and the second one had ordered only one copy (which was in the back). I just got lucky and the employee helping me went in back and grabbed it for me. The second store also had copies of several other titles I've been looking for lately.

Side note: The Best Buy close to me doesn't stock DVDs for shit. They say it is out of their control as a store, but I think this is BS. Does any here work at Best Buy? I was wondering why one store (in the same city) will order several copies of an off-title (those that aren't obvious block busters) and other Best Buys will order none.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
None found in my town at all, and I checked pretty much every store (Best Buy, Suncoast, Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Target, etc.).

Same goes for Predator 2 and The Sleeping Dictionary, so I finally just ordered all three from Amazon.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I know...it's weird. I've only had this problem with a couple other titles...i don't understand why the best buy here just flat says they won't carry it. The funny thing is that the guy i spoke to there said "yeah, about nine people came in today looking for it". You think they'd try to satisfy demand. Guess not.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
That's why I just pre-ordered mine from amazon.com to begin with. I knew that there was only a snowball's chance in hell that I'd actually find it in any stores.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Well... you can't have mine! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Seriously though, I live in a fairly large metro-suburban area, and I pretty much order all hard-to-find/Criterion titles on-line. Saves me a ton of aggravation. Although the local Virgin Megastore pretty much stocks everything, it's always at FULL RETAIL. Grrrr...

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I know...it's weird. I've only had this problem with a couple other titles...i don't understand why the best buy here just flat says they won't carry it. The funny thing is that the guy i spoke to there said "yeah, about nine people came in today looking for it". You think they'd try to satisfy demand. Guess not.
Each Best Buy store in my district was initially sent one copy from a Best Buy media warehouse. Out of thirteen stores, twelve have sold their copies. Of course, in my store, the computer says that we have it in stock, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere--and I've looked in every concievable location (don't even want it, myself, just would like to know where it is). We haven't sold it yet. Either the computer thinks* we were sent one when we weren't, or some employee got to it before I could (possible, but unlikely) and has stashed it to purchase later. Or, it could have been stolen, but that's unlikely, too.

Have no idea why this guy is saying they won't carry it--Best Buy stores are handling it. He's probably just being lazy and either doesn't want or doesn't know how to look it up for you.

*=I know computers can't think. :)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed that most retailers don't double order. If there is an existing version of a film available (F+LILV, Traffic as examples), they don't order a copy that Criterion puts out. Best Buy, in particular, seems to have an aversion to Criterion titles in general.

Bruce

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I pre-ordered mine from DVDEmpire. According to their webiste it is still in stock. This is a great DVD, so far I've watched the movie and the HST/Steadman BBC documentary and the Gilliam commentary (well worth it as always) and there's still tons of great stuff to go!

Matthew_S

Second Unit
i broke down and ordered it from dvdplanet. They do have some in stock. Thanks for the info, Matt- Maybe the guy here is being lazy.

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
Side note: The Best Buy close to me doesn't stock DVDs for shit. They say it is out of their control as a store, but I think this is BS. Does any here work at Best Buy? I was wondering why one store (in the same city) will order several copies of an off-title (those that aren't obvious block busters) and other Best Buys will order none.
This is a common misconception about retailers. Individual stores in nationwide chains, without any exceptions that I can think of, have no control over the quanity or selection that they carry. They do not order anything. The decisions regarding what items are on the shelves are made by their regional or national office. Requests can be made for items that their regional warehouses have in stock, but if it's not on the shelves already, then it's probably not in the warehouse, either. Even if it is, it can take weeks to arrive at the local store depending on the distance from the warehouse and the shipping schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks