Fear And Loathing (Criterion) Availability?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew_S, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

Is there a reason why this is so scarcely available? Best Buy told me that they weren't going to carry it...it will be available on their website only [​IMG], no from circuit city...I was even so desperate i called Suncoast-out of luck. I don't know if this is just happening here in Wilmington, NC.....has anyone else had this problem in your area?

2. Josh Pounds

Josh Pounds Stunt Coordinator

It sadly is not only in Wilmington. Here in Denver, I searched for it...The only place I could find it was Independent Records.

3. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Supporting Actor

I had the same problem. My Best Buy only got one copy and an employee got it first. I searched 10 stores before I found it. Barnes and Noble seems to be the only place that has a good amount in stock.

4. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

My local Best Buy has several copies. Of course, that really doesn't help you much. There's always amazon.com.

5. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

I went to 3 Best Buys, Circuit City, Fry's Electronics, Border's Books and Tower Records. No one had it. Tower has one copy, on hold for someone. They said if I call back tomorrow night and it's still not picked up, I can have it. All the Best Buys said they got one copy, and each had one more on order. WTF... one? I know it's not Minority Report or Lilo & Stitch, but you'd think the names Johnny Depp and Benicio del Toro would have some weight!

Really been annoying me, actually. If that Tower copy gets picked up, I'll probably end up ordering it online somewhere.

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i picked up my copy at best buy, they had a bunch of them. i wonder why that particular one had none. when you finally do find it, its well worth it. gilliam + criterion = dvd bliss.

CJ

7. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

My local Best Buy told me that they only had two on order, but that the employees already had dibs on them and they weren't going to order more, so I "shouldn't even bother". [​IMG] [​IMG] How's that for customer service?

Best Buy just lost my business for the next few months. I just pre-ordered everything I know I'm going to get soon at DeepDiscountDVD.

-Lyle J.P.

8. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

I went to two Best Buys and the second one had ordered only one copy (which was in the back). I just got lucky and the employee helping me went in back and grabbed it for me. The second store also had copies of several other titles I've been looking for lately.

Side note: The Best Buy close to me doesn't stock DVDs for shit. They say it is out of their control as a store, but I think this is BS. Does any here work at Best Buy? I was wondering why one store (in the same city) will order several copies of an off-title (those that aren't obvious block busters) and other Best Buys will order none.

9. Eric Estrada

Eric Estrada Agent

DVDPlanet.com has plenty and at a good price.

10. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

Dvd planet is out of stock.

11. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

None found in my town at all, and I checked pretty much every store (Best Buy, Suncoast, Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Target, etc.).

Same goes for Predator 2 and The Sleeping Dictionary, so I finally just ordered all three from Amazon.

12. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

I know...it's weird. I've only had this problem with a couple other titles...i don't understand why the best buy here just flat says they won't carry it. The funny thing is that the guy i spoke to there said "yeah, about nine people came in today looking for it". You think they'd try to satisfy demand. Guess not.

13. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

That's why I just pre-ordered mine from amazon.com to begin with. I knew that there was only a snowball's chance in hell that I'd actually find it in any stores.

14. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Well... you can't have mine! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously though, I live in a fairly large metro-suburban area, and I pretty much order all hard-to-find/Criterion titles on-line. Saves me a ton of aggravation. Although the local Virgin Megastore pretty much stocks everything, it's always at FULL RETAIL. Grrrr...

15. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

16. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I've noticed that most retailers don't double order. If there is an existing version of a film available (F+LILV, Traffic as examples), they don't order a copy that Criterion puts out. Best Buy, in particular, seems to have an aversion to Criterion titles in general.

Bruce

17. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I pre-ordered mine from DVDEmpire. According to their webiste it is still in stock. This is a great DVD, so far I've watched the movie and the HST/Steadman BBC documentary and the Gilliam commentary (well worth it as always) and there's still tons of great stuff to go!

18. MikeDeVincenzo

MikeDeVincenzo Stunt Coordinator

Plenty available here in New Jersey @ CD World. (At least, the East Hanover store)

19. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

i broke down and ordered it from dvdplanet. They do have some in stock. Thanks for the info, Matt- Maybe the guy here is being lazy.

20. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator