What's new

Favorite Sports Talk Programming (1 Viewer)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I agree. On long road trips, I really enjoy sports talk and this is the sole reason I still have XM and not Sirius. For as much money as Sirius throws around, its amazing they can't pick up two nationally broadcast sports radio stations. Heck, even one would be a great start. Until then, I will be on the sidelines waiting.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie

Sirius 124 NFL Radio. That's all you need.

If you're a fan of football at all, I swear you'll never listen to the "Big 3" anymore. It's that good. And I've listened to the Big three sports networks before. I'm unimpressed with Fox's personalitites (having listened to them on Free FM for years) and I can get my ESPN fix through Sirius.

But Sirius NFL 124 is the best Sports talk radio period. You learn so much from every aspect of the game, especially the business side of the game. INtelligent questions, callers, and interviews. They're all entertaining and you'd think things would slow down because of no games, but it's quite the opposite. Especially this year with all of the off-season moves. I knew the draft coverage would be good, but literally this off-season has been good as the actual season of playtime.

I don't think anyone who has given it a few days would know what they're missing until they try it. I guarantee you, you will forget about the other sports. Or at least talking about the other sports. And I am a big fan of nearly every sport out there, and this has not diminished my love for any of the other sports. It's enhanced my love of football, and how much I think other general sports talk is insignificant (except for Jim Rome because it's such a different sports show).

So if you're really upset that Sirius doesn't carry Sporting News and Fox, I say, give NFL Radio at least a couple of days try if you can. It's well worth it and can win you alone.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I have listened to the NFL network before and I really do enjoy it. Sometimes its nice to listen to talk about college sports (especially this time of the year) and other sports. But trust me, I do love the NFL, but just like watching the NFL Network, sometimes its nice to switch to other sporting news just for some variety or when something big is happening in another sport. I really prefer Sporting News and Fox Sports to ESPN Radio. In the morning ESPN is fine, but the majority of the night shows are "gamenights" which I find somewhat boring. I just hope someday Sirius adds one of the major sports talk networks. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Devin U

Second Unit

Disney owns ESPN radio, along with many radio stations and syndicated programs like Sean Hannity, plus Radio Disney. Fox Sports is owned by News corp., and Sporting News is owned by Paul Allen.

On another note, on NFL broadcasts, does Sirius have thier own play-by-play or do they pick up local and national feeds for the games? If they do the local feeds, do you only get the home teams broadcast, or is it possible to listen to the visitors broadcast team if you like? Is it the same for the NBA?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

I'm pretty sure Fox Sports Radio is owned by Clear Channel and they pay Newscorp a licensing fee for the name.

Blu

Screenwriter
I believe that Sirius might get the Fox Sports channel since they now carry Fox News and Fox Talk.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

SIRIUS carries the local feed plus.

What this means is:

If it's the KC Chiefs Vs. Oakland Raiders, Sunday 1PM game: channel A has the KC Radio Crew as heard locally in KC. Channel B has the Oakland radio crew, as heard locally in Oakland.

IF the game is a Sunday night or Monday night game, then a third channel is added, which has the national call. So on monday night, you have Channel A, B, C. And yes, listening to the visiting team call makes the whole thing hellaciously worth it. There have been numerous moments where I listen to the Tampa Bay call (as a fan) and they will announce an injury, and I will immediately flick to the visitor's broadcast because you get far more detail about what's happening.

SIRIUS NFL broadcasting method for the NFL is just phenomenal.

Devin U

Second Unit
I really like that for the NFL broadcasts. Hmm, I may just pick up a sirius reciever for the NFL (Though, Ill be keeping all my XM recievers). I wish XM would play the visitors feed for the MLB during regular season, though. But doesnt Sirius have to preempt other channels to get the bandwidth for this?

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Sirius flags channels (most of them are talk and entertainment channels) that can be used for sports play-by-play games.

NBA is done at the home broadcast as well. But the NFL is awesome. Sirius also got every single NCAA Basketball Tourney game. Nascar is coming 2007 and staying for a long time.

But the NFL coverage... If you do pick up Sirius for football, check out NFL Radio 124, nearly every show on there is a winner. The pre-draft coverage has been awesome. They'll cover the entire draft, and I can only imagine the post-draft, mini-camp coverage as well. I got my SIrius late last August just for the football, even though I originally got it for Stern. The Sports is a blessing on Sirius. I don't care that it doesn't have Fox Sports (Between NFL Radio, ESPN, Stern, and other entertainment, I''m covered). THe only thing I miss is baseball, but it's a long summer and I can pick up my Indians here in Michigan on the strong AM antenna. No need for every other team for me.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Sirius flags channels (most of them are talk and entertainment channels) that can be used for sports play-by-play games.

NBA is done at the home broadcast as well. But the NFL is awesome. Sirius also got every single NCAA Basketball Tourney game. Nascar is coming 2007 and staying for a long time.

But the NFL coverage... If you do pick up Sirius for football, check out NFL Radio 124, nearly every show on there is a winner. The pre-draft coverage has been awesome. They'll cover the entire draft, and I can only imagine the post-draft, mini-camp coverage as well. I got my SIrius late last August just for the football, even though I originally got it for Stern. The Sports is a blessing on Sirius. I don't care that it doesn't have Fox Sports (Between NFL Radio, ESPN, Stern, and other entertainment, I''m covered). THe only thing I miss is baseball, but it's a long summer and I can pick up my Indians here in Michigan on the strong AM antenna. No need for every other team for me.

Devin U

Second Unit
Thanks for the info Ernie. I feel myself day by day becoming less of a XM fanboy and more of a satellite radio fanboy. Now to just find a deal on a sirius unit...

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie

no Prob Devin, we'll be around when you log on as a subscriber. XM has some good things but I do think that Sirius offers an excellent complete package. The music (which I think is great) is not the main reason I bought into satellite radio. It's for the entertainment + Sports Package + the music. XM to me only offers Baseball and imaginative music programming==> not enough for me.

There's some deals to be had, there's usually a decent rebate going around too. And there's rumor of a real portable unit by the end of the summer.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I love Sirius' sports coverage especially the NFL. I wish they had baseball, oh God how do I wish they had baseball?

NFL Radio is great, ESPN Radio is great, I'd like to see them add Sporting News Radio and Fox Sports though.

But, I love the fact that they have Sportsbyline so I can get my fix of WWEUFCTNA coverage on Wrestling Observer Live, I need more MMA talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks