What's new

Directors Favorite Recent "SciFi" series? (1 Viewer)

StevenK

Second Unit
I use "SciFi" loosely and I list only recent and popular ones. Just curious as to which way the board leans. I'm sure many would choose to watch ALL of them, but suppose you could only watch one series. You can take whatever you like into consideration: story, action, acting, directing, CGI quality....

1) Matrix Series
2) Lord of the Rings
3) Star Wars
4) Terminator Series
5) Marvel Collection (Spiderman, X-Men, Hulk)

I would have a hard time choosing between the Matrix and Lord of the Rings (favorite book), but it'll probably be Matrix.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Star Wars would be my favorite. It's not perfect, but it hits the right balance between the movies standing on their own and being part of a larger story, is visually stunning (effects stunning in terms of both quality and quantity), and is filled with fast-paced action.

And they're Star Wars. You can't ask me to give Star Wars up.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
If we're talking the OT in addition to the PT, than I would probably say Star Wars. The OT has had much more time to stew than the other films. If we're only talking about the PT, than I'd say Lord of the Rings.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Star Wars. I absolutely, positively, need to know how Anakin fell to the Dark Side.

In that sense, one could say it's because it was the first -- note that SW:ANH pre-dates the rest. But taken as a whole it's an epic story. LOTR is after all available in book form.

Having said that, I'm now also absolutely, positively gagging for Matrix Revolutions, to see how it all plays out. :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Sorry I wasn't more descriptive...in any event, Jason's right. I meant Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
For story I would have to pick Lord of the Rings.
For action I would go with The Matrix/Xmen series. (tied)
For acting I would go with Lord of the Rings hands down.
For direction again, Lord of the Rings, bar none.
For CGI I would have to say Star Wars has the best looking FX going.
For characterization, Lord of the Rings would be my pick for Gollum alone.

Adding them up I would have to pick Lord of the Rings as my ultimate SCI-FI(fantasy) Series and one that I could not go without.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Of course ther original Star Wars Trilogy.
Lord of the Rings movies.
The first two X-men were allot of fun.

I liked the Spy Kids films too.

Matrix series is out of the running because of Unloaded and the last two prequel movies for Star Wars have been nice to look at but the stories are lackluster.
The first two Terminators were good but I dont have much faith in the next one because Cameron had nothing to do with it.

Someone else voted for Farscape, you cant beat Farscape even though its really not a movie series its a great TV series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks