What's new

Directors Favorite Kino release? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Criterion may get all the press, but Kino has been putting out some great, albeit, obscure releases: The Man Who Laughs, Fritz Lang's Liliom, the 1943 Nazi-produced Titanic (see my review in Expanding Horizons), the 1943 Munchhausen, Marcel Pagnol's Fanny Trilogy, and much more.

So, what's your fav Kino release?

I'll go with one of their latest releases: Munchhausen. It's a very cool time comparing this to Terry Gilliam's The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, plus the DVD presents the film nicely restored with an excellent set of bonus features. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Blue Angel, includes both German and American versions, a good commentary, and some Marlene Dietrich related extras.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I don't own and haven't seen a lot of Kino discs as they are hard to find around these parts (imports only).

However, I do own Metropolis, Faust, Dog Days, the Dead or Alive trilogy, La Habanera, Liliom, The Mirror, the original release of The Tin Drum and non R1 editions of Kino's Code Unknown and The Piano Teacher.

I just bought Derek Jarman's Sebastiane and The Tempest but haven't watched them yet.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I only own Metropolis and The Thief of Bagdad... also, I've seen The Man Who Laughs and The General (with The Playhouse and Cops).

The Thief of Bagdad is my favorite... excellent transfer, excellent score (Mont Alto: fantastic!), and great extras. I don't think Metropolis really can count since it's just the Transit Film DVD in English and with Kino packaging.

Guy Maddin's Careful; gorgeous transfer and a truly fascinating documentary on Maddin, "Waiting For Twilight".

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I have The Last Laugh, Faust, Tartuffe, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Blue Angel, Broken Blossoms, The Golem, & Waxworks and probably the same r2 edition of Code Unknown that Bill has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks