What's new

Favorite Features on your receivers (1 Viewer)

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
We're always comparing receivers based on the standard cookie cutter stats/features like power, dpl2, channels...
How about some real personal input into why you love your very own receivers so much? Is there a specific feature that is out of the ordinary, exclusive to your brand/model, or that is done particularly well on your receiver?
[note added] Please don't forget to mention the brand/model
I particularly like the pure direct mode on my denon 4802, nothing special, but when I'm in the theater room, I like to turn off all the lights including the receivers leds and listen to my favorite recordings in complete darkness. Let my ears do all the seeing. :)

2 features that I like on my JVC.

USB input and multi-room for audio.

This has renewed an obsession I have had with being to control everything with one remote.

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

How does that USB Audio input work? Do you use a special program that sends the mp3's datastream to the receiver for decoding? Is it easy to control? how's the sound quality? Have you tried 192kbps or higher mp3s? What about windows media files? or ogg voribs? That would definitely be a nice feature. Don't the Harmon Kardon receivers do this as well?

How does that USB Audio input work?
Plug and play. I use a PC with Win2K so it was just a matter of making sure the Windows USB drivers are installed.
The USB device has to be selected as the prefered playback.
Do you use a special program that sends the mp3's datastream to the receiver for decoding?Is it easy to control?
The reciever does not actually do the decoding. I currently use winamp with X-10's boom software, but I am checking into using my pronto remote with Airboard keycontrols to control any MP3 software since I all ready use that for other PC video functions.
how's the sound quality? Have you tried 192kbps or higher mp3s? What about windows media files? or ogg voribs?
I don't think it really matters what type of media file you are using. The quality is as good as your media.
I still use the digital out on my sound card also but that is assigned to other media like DVD, VCD, and timed recordings.
The USB is just another digital input option for your media.
I think that a better option would have been firewire but this is only a $300 reciever. ;)

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
VALUABLE FEATURES:

1) 'All Channel' DSP

2) Center Channel Equalizer

3) Pre-in/outs

4) 'Jazz Club' DSP

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Same receiver as yours Johnny,

Denon 4802

Surround speaker A/B switching

geo

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
Marantz SR6200

I like that I can use it as a 5.1 (which is what I am using currently) add a rear speaker to use the 6.1 feature or add an external amp to get 7.1 (for when I get a bigger apartment)

Chip E

Screenwriter
B&K AVR-307:
I like that i can adjust the crossover in increments of 5 from 40 to 120 :D

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
5 ch. stereo
Denon 681 (mass market version of the 1601)
I love it, especially now that I am using the receiver's DACS, as my last cd player was awful. I'm now using my dvd as a transport and the clarity and noise floor have really improved. I know there is better, but I don't want to hear it, or I'll want it. :)
Mmm.. 5 ch. stereo
I was listening to Bjork Vespertine tonight, at near reference level, and sure sounded good. Next up, dvd-a, Vespertine is out for that too, I can only imagine.
Jon

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
My favorite feature on my Pioneer Elite 49TX is its automatic room analysis and equalization. It does an excellent job of making my center and surround speakers sound very similar to my main left/right speakers.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Denon 3300

1) Pure Direct Mode

2) Matrix DSP mode

3) Clean styling

4) All settings remembered for each input. This is pretty well standard now, but wasn't so much when the 3300 came out.

5) A, B, or A+B surround capabilities. You can have dipoles for movies and direct-radiating speakers for music, or both, if you so desire.

6) 7.1 inputs, even though 7.1 wasn't even really around when the 3300 was designed. It was ahead of its time.

7) 5-channel mode for if there are a lot of people over, for background music.

... Greg

Chip E

Screenwriter
"wow... that's cool, but how often do you adjust?"
Just once. hahahaha... Mains large, crossed at 60 :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My Onkyo 696
- On-Screen Display for setup menu
- DPLII (this is just a great processing mode)
- DD/DTS processing :) (I was pro-logic until just recently)
- The Volume knob :)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I own a Denon 5800 and the thing I love the most is Pure Direct mode with 8 x 24/192 DAC's in differential mode for each channel in stereo mode. Mmmm, is it sweet. And after the upgrade it'll be 8 x 24/192 Burr-Brown DAC's, even sweeter.

Patrick

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
I have an HK 520. One thing I love about it, is it has a sleep timer. I have not heard of another reciever with this feature but I use mine every night.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I have the Yamaha rxv3000.

I love the adventure 70mm setting for movies that are not in 5.1, and the adventure 6.1 setting for 5.1/6.1 movies. To me it sounds much more "open" and fills the whole room far better than using regular dts and dd (the adventure dsp mode is still in 5.1 or 6.1 by the way).

Front effect speakers - this is what makes the dsp's sound so good (some better than others of course).

8 channel stereo - purists think it's blasphemy, but for music it just sounds so damn good ("just for parties" bahhhh).

You can hook up an eq without using pre-outs/ins. I use this for listening to radio stations which sound "dead" without it.

Surround for headphones. Doesn't compare with the real thing, but it is better than regular stereo when watching a movie while using headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks