What's new

Father Knows Best -- Season 2!!! (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for that most wonderful news, David. My what a way to cap off a day!

Gary "looking forward to getting even more enjoyment out of this set than first expected" O.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
HURRAH!!!!!!!!! And hopefully this set will now sell even better than season 1, prompting the preparation for season 3, complete!! (with more extras--shoot, why not put more Window on Main Street episodes instead of one at a time, because that show will NEVER see a solo release).

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
As I say, I can always count on TVShowsonDVD for the real story, bad or good --- and this time it certainly is good.

I know at least one person who didn't get Season 1 who will now get Season 2 -- namely, me. (Although I think I'll go ahead and get Season 1 now, because I doubt they'll ever go back and do it right.)

Of course, I hope they go all the way with this show, because this is one series that never came close to "jumping the shark." In fact, some of the best episodes were in its last season (which was also its most highly rated -- it's one of the few series to stop production at the height of its popularity.)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Nice to hear that they "dug deeper," and got complete versions for all the shows. I will definitely be getting this too, after having skipped Season 1.

But I just wonder why they couldn't have "dug deeper" for the Season 1 release. Obviously, the stuff was there. I do hope that some day, they'll go back and fix the Season 1 shows. If they ever get to the point of doing a complete series box, I'd bet they'd probably do it, just to give people who bought the series season by season incentive to get the complete series box.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, I'm wondering now if they won't reedo season one at some point...but you know, I decided a while back that life was too short, I enjoy my classic DVDs too much to start "waiting" and "trying to figure out studio plans."

I'm just gonna buy and if at all possible (excluding another FUGITIVE disaster) do my best to enjoy what I have, while I'm able.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
This is great news. Hats off to Shout and in this case at least, hats off to Sony.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'd like to see Sony keep digging in their vaults and license out other classic comedies, especially "Dennis the Menace" and the rest of "Hazel."

I say these things here a lot in case these companies monitor these forums.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
This is terrific news!

I am currently halfway through the Season One set. Having never seen the show before, I have been completely charmed by FKB. The only downside is being progressively irritated by the edited episodes. Fortunately, the edits can't disguise what a great sitcom this is.

Gary, thanks for convincing me to buy this.

Now, if Shout would only do the same for The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet...

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Keep in mind the only reason we're even seeing FATHER KNOWS BEST (and DONNA READ) is becuase Sony doesn't fully own the rights to these shows, but the estates of the late stars.

I'm surprised they are getting ANYTHING out of Sony!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
But according to the Shout representative, it's Sony that dug into their vaults for the unedited prints --- so it shows Sony is willing to do something with their old shows. So I'm hoping they consider licensing some of them to other companies.

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the remastered Route 66 DVDs have to have been sourced from Sony, although I don't think Infinity/Roxbury ever confirmed that in so many words. I also suspect that (and Image's Naked City releases) were straight licenses from Sony; I guess a third party could own a piece of those although I doubt it.

I second everybody's jubilation that these episodes will be uncut. Now I just wish Shout Factory & the Young estate would find a way to release all of Window on Main Street, since they seem to have them. One episode per FKB season will still be more than I ever thought I'd get my hands on, but it's discouraging to think we'll get a maximum of six (out of, I think, 36) episodes that way.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought season 1 in hopes something like this was happened, and I'm thrilled season 2 is unedited.

I was another person Gary O convinced to give this series a blind buy, and I also wound up really enjoying it.

There is one more thing Shout could do, though... How about pulling an I Love Lucy, and putting some of the radio shows on the DVDs as extras? Granted, I don't even know if that's feasible, but in the cases where the TV Show was adapted from a radio play (assuming there were any), it would be interesting to hear the differences.

Not to say that lack of radio shows is a disappointment or anything... I mean, unedited episodes for the rest of the series will be good enough!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Very glad to have helped out, guys. It's a great pleasure to see more fans enjoying this classic of classics. And it's because of people like you two, taking a chance and buying a series like this, that enables Shout to keep the line going. So let me thank both of you as well.

Gary "so, so happy to hear about Season 2 being uncut - keep 'em coming Shout!" O.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
About those radio shows:

Most fans of FKB are very disappointed in them. The radio show had a different feel to it than the television version. It was much more of a run-of-the-mill sitcom. Most disappointing are the three kids: Betty is a typical teenage girl with no depth to her -- Bud is portrayed as a dimwit -- and Kathy is obviously played by an adult woman trying to sound like a little girl.

mrmike898

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Wagner
I have my copy of Father Knows Best Season 2 in my hands and am happy to say that every episode appears to be unedited, just as Shout Factory said. I am also happy to report that unlike Season 1, the picture quality on this set is much better and so much more consistent from episode to episode. The transfers are surprisingly good considering these are not the syndicated cut versions of the episodes (not Paramount good, but very pleasing to the eye). When compared to the picture quality of the "lost" episode "Stage To Yuma," it is pleasantly evident that remastering has indeed been done for this set. There are some very minor compression issues throughout, however, but nothing too distracting. Like with the First Season set, almost all of the episodes begin with the sponsor-less version of the opening. Just 4 episodes begin with "The Scott Paper Company Presents.." version of the opening (I actually prefer the versions that include sponsorship). But, every episode on the set does include the Screen Gems logo on the end credits!!

Also, I'm extremely pleased to say that the bonus episode of Window on Main Street that is found on Disc 3 contains all of the original commercials that were shown when it aired, giving it a running time of just over 29 minutes!

All in all, it's a very nice, very well produced set. Shout Factory needs to be commended on the excellent job they've done. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend buying this set.

In case anyone wants the running times for the episodes and bonus features, here they are:

DISC 1
01. Art of Salesmanship 25:51
02. Father's Private Life 25:55
03. Lessons in Civics 25:55
04. First Disillusionment 25:54
05. Woman in the House 25:54
06. New Girl at School 25:54
07. Kathy Makes Magic 25:55

Special Feature:
Extended FKB Flashback Episode: "First Disillusionment," which aired during the sixth season (11/16/1959)* 25:13

DISC 2
08. Advantage to Betty 26:14
09. The Big Test 25:57
10. Father Is a Dope 25:56
11. Spirit of Youth 25:54
12. Bud, the Ladykiller 25:53
13. Margaret's Premonition 25:53
14. Pilot: Stage to Yuma** 25:50
15. Bad Influence 25:55

DISC 3
16. Betty Hates Carter 25:54
17. Jim, the Tyrant 25:51
18. Betty's Brother 25:49
19. Betty Earns a Formal 25:49
20. The House Painter 25:47
21. Bud, The Wallflower 25:47
22. The Bus to Nowhere 25:47

Special Feature:
Window on Main Street: "The Teacher" 29:06

DISC 4
23. Kathy, the Indian Giver 25:51
24. The Historical Andersons 25:49
25. The Grass is Greener 25:48
26. The Persistent Guest 25:48
27. Family Reunion 25:48
28. Family Dines Out 25:45
29. Bud, the Boxer 25:51

Special Feature:
Daddy's Girls (Interview), Part 2: 10:35

DISC 5
30. Betty, Girl Engineer 25:49
31. The Martins and the Coys 25:48
32. Dilemma for Margaret 25:48
33. Hero Father 25:49
34. Father, the Naturalist 25:46
35. The Ten Dollar Question 25:47
36. Adopted Daughter 25:49
37. Betty's Graduation 25:51

*Strangely, this bonus episode is missing the opening credits
**Technically a "Father Knows Best" episode, even though Robert Young is the only cast member in this episode, and he doesn't play Jim Anderson.

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
Great to hear these reviews! I was already gonna get this, but these reviews sweeten the deal. Of course, I need to finish watching season 1 first LOL

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for that review, Michael. I was already on board for this set, but reading your first hand account is all the better! Can't wait for my set to arrive.

Gary "boy I hope Shout can keep this series coming" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks