What's new

'Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift' WTF? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You mean in their ordinary street cars that they "trick out" to look like the one's in the film's because they think they're Paul Walker?

I've seen some STUPID looking cars on the road with people adding huge spoilers to cars that can't break 90mph stock lol. Not only that, but i've read that by adding all of these extra body kits to your car, your actually HURTING the performance of the car.

Ridiculous IMO.

Although, I could probably get to work A LOT faster if I add some NOS to my bicycle. Hmmm...

:D

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
Is this movie going to be ridiculous? Of course but do not lump the D1 Drift competitions and the Japanese drift competitions in with this movie and the idiots that go out and try to drift there FWD Honda's on public streets. If Nascar, Indy, CART, etc. are considered sports, then I see no reason why D1GP and the likes aren't either. Taking high horsepower cars through a multiple hairpin and long bend turn track as fast a possible while keeping the car on the fine line of sliding and spinning out of control. Being able to switch the rear end around to slide in a different direction, etc. takes ALOT of skill. Rhys Millen of the very famous MILLEN family is no punk kid nor schlub of a driver. Anyone that races in any sport will admit that what the guys do in D1GP, etc. takes a very skilled driver behind the wheel.

This movie unfortunately is just capitalizing on the bullshit kids that go out and do stupid e-brake pulls, etc. trying to look cool. BIG difference between them and the professionals.

http://www.d1gp.com/

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree, it does take some skill and the right car setup to properly drift. It is very impressive when you see someone do it right. I was at an autocross and I heard all kinds of tire squealing and thought, this fool doesn't know what he's doing! So I walked over and watched him and it turned out he was drifting the entire course in an old modified Vega and I was amazed. Then I thought, very cool, but he can't get a good time doing that... Wrong again, at the time that he ran, he was pretty close to the top. I was impressed.

Don't lump drifting into the same category of lame street punk losers.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Oh no no, that wasn't what I was doing, I was just talking about random people you see on the street in their modified cars, that's all, not the pro's.

I watch NASCAR and I am very aware that handling a race car takes a lot of skill, i'm not denying that, it's just the concept of drifting that i'm questioning.

Maybe I just have to see it in action to appreciate it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Yep. Plan on seeing many of them with wrecked cars :D

Yeah, better snap up all those cheap used RWD cars because there will be a whole new batch of drift crazy morons soon...

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
I think so, watch the D1GP on ESPN2 if you happen by it. It may not be your cup of tea, it's not mine as I personally own a '72 Nova SS and drag race atleast 3 to 4 times a month at the local track BUT after seeing it on TV a few times and catching some demonstrations at various car shows, etc. I definitely give respect to guy's like Millen doing what they do in D1.

Back to the movie though, it's unfortunate that one of the first times Drifting really gets represented in an American mainstream film it gets the joy of having flashy neon machines and the words "Fast and the Furious" tied to it.

Maybe for part four they can do "Fast and the Furious: Southern Donk"
If you don't know what DONK is, it's the process of putting LIFT KITS on late model cars in order to fit 26's and up underneith the car rather than tucking them. I'm sure you've seen it so check the link:

http://www.eastcoastryders.com/
Click the photo gallery!

This is perfect for part 4, yeah boy....

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Let's be real, we go see movies from TFATF franchise because of fast cars and foxy ladies, and on that level, this movie delivers a lot of thrilling drifting sequences and eye candy, as well as some humorous "training" sequences as the gaijin drifter-wannabe (Shawn) goes from being horrible at drifting, to quite proficient at it, while getting embroiled in some business opportunities not always on the up-and-up. The plot is thin, but the adrenaline-pumping car chases are fun to watch.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
CHICK FLICK ALERT!!! CHICK FLICK ALERT!!! :D

On a side note, the Canadian government will introduce legislation that will make street racing a criminal offense with severe penalities. We've had a few too many deaths related to this so-called "sport".

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
So what's up with Vin Deisel being in a TV trailer for Tokyo Drift? He's not really in this turkey, right? Has anyone who actually saw this movie confirm that he isn't in this movie (even a cameo)?. Looks like the studio is trying to fool a lot of people into thinking he's actually in the movie.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well... since I didn't know about the trailer...

it came as a nice surprise when he did show up in a cameo appearance, tying together all 3 of the films.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I know this wasn't high cinema and was simply a mindless actioner.

I was pleasantly surprised by it this past summer and as a car fan and Mustang owner, I went to see it for this reason.

Now that it's out on DVD, I saw it again last night and again, I liked it for the same reasons. And the reasons I like it are not for the reasons you'd think.

The cars were cool and the look at the drifting culture of Japan was cool too, but......the main focus for me was the old fashioned way this film was told. It felt like an old film from the 40's or 50's where the bad kid is really good and makes good in a fish out of water environment. It's as unrealisitic as it gets, but it worked for me. He does good in the end and gets the girl.

And another aspect of why I think it works is that the director, who I have no knowledge of, is Asian, though very Americanized. Asian films, particularly from Hong Kong has a kind of feel good quality and I wonder if he's trying to get that kind of quality into the film. It's old fashioned as I said, and goofy characters and the good guys and bad guys are disguised within a modern film. I think the film has this quality. And I think this kind of story telling was likely seen as goofy and silly for a modern audience who may have dismissed it just for being a TFATF sequel.

One of my friends who saw the movie and is a car guy thought it was silly and didn't like it at all. So that got me wondering on this question of old fashioned film making. Is still relevant today. I think it is. Maybe I am sentimental.

I suspect this film was in and out of cinemas real fast and wasn't noticed too much by the mainstream. Did anyone else see what I saw?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks