What's new

Farscape (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Farscape is the best sci-fi show on television today.
This season didn't start off as strong as usual (especially the two-parter) but has gotten better each week starting with the lava-cave episode. Last week's was definitely the season's best so far.
There are only three episodes left in August (with the last one being a cliff-hanger) and then no new episodes till January 2003. :frowning:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think we just become too complacent in "Farscape"'s greatness. It's operatic, well-acted, and looks like a million bucks; after a while, we simply take it for granted, especially since it does the long stretches - running continually all summer, then in constant repeats when everything else on TV is new.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There are only three episodes left in August (with the last one being a cliff-hanger) and then no new episodes till January 2003.
Damnit, can't Sci-Fi just run a full season of episodes? It is amazing they can still keep an audience this way...

Jason

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It drives everyone insane, but Sci-Fi counterprograms the Networks, when they're in rerun land, Sci-Fi shows new shows

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Right. Cable networks really have little to gain by putting anything new on during sweeps periods - those are mostly used by local stations - and they work on a smaller budget, so there's no good reason for them to show their new stuff at the same time as the networks.
Damnit, can't Sci-Fi just run a full season of episodes?
They do; they show 22 episodes/year, same as everyone else. They just do it in different months.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
They do; they show 22 episodes/year, same as everyone else. They just do it in different months.
That's what I ment. Why can't we just get a season all at once? The problem with the way they do it, is that I get out of the habit of watching, and invaribly miss a couple of new episodes. The nice thing about having a season is that you get in the habit of watching (or recording).

Most annoying is coming back for 4 episodes, then waiting a month for the next 'season' to start. It is hard to keep any continuity going when that happens.

Jason

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Wayne,

Do a search of "Farscape" in the TV section of this forum and you will get plenty of links to other Farscape threads.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the search advice! I just wanted to see if anyone wanted to discuss the new shows that are coming out.

I guess I don't feel the frustration yet with the release schedule because I'm new to the show. I borrowed the season one DVDs from a friend and have the first one for S2. I've also caught the last few new episodes.

I agree that the last episode was the best in S4 so far. It will be interesting to see where it goes from the end of the last episode.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Well, there aren't really any other relationships on Moya to explore right now, since D'argo and Chiana are no longer an item and Z'haan isn't around anymore. Scorpius becoming the new Crais is going to be interesting...
Very true but I feel they need to develop another one badly. Actually, I wouldn't mind the Aeron/Crichton plot if they would resolve this current situation (which seems to have, in one form or another, been going on forever now) and take it in another direction. Barring that, they need to have some other characters step up. I definitely like Scorpius as the new X-factor in the mix.

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
That's what I ment. Why can't we just get a season all at once? The problem with the way they do it, is that I get out of the habit of watching, and invaribly miss a couple of new episodes. The nice thing about having a season is that you get in the habit of watching (or recording).
No kidding. I would love to watch Farscape if I can ever find out when the damn show is going to be on. But when the show looks like it's off the air for two months at a time and suddenly new shows start airing... Geez.

Let's put it this way. I missed the entire last half of season three and just happened to stumble across last week's airing of the eigth episode of season four.

Season two's "Look At The Princess" three-parter? Although I've seen part two about three times, I've never seen part three. Missed about half of the last half of that season. I think that was the first season where they had something like a two month break before showing the final four episodes of the season.

I'd get the DVDs if they weren't so expensive. As it is, dvdpricesearch says the lowest price is $11.33 or $13.99 per two-episode disc. (About $140 for one season's worth.)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Are they releasing season one as a box set? It's supposed to list @ $149. That's about $120 per season.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Anybody here watch Farscape?
I saw this same question asked in an article in the Sydney Morning Herald, some time ago. This was an article bemoaning the fact that Farscape, though made and produced in Australia had almost no audience there, mostly because of the lack of programming by Australian television. Famously, it was, after about 9–12 months off the air, returned to the viewing public, during the Sydney Olympics. Surprisingly, it did not receive blockbuster ratings.
The only consolation that you might have, is that it cost locals about twice as much to get the DVDs as it does here.
:angry:

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I was asking if anyone on the newsgroup was watching.

Farscape is going to be on in Australia now:

MEDIA RELEASE: July 25, 2002.
Farscape lands a primetime Aussie home on FOXTEL.

FOXTEL is proud to announce the international hit sci-fi series Farscape, made in Australia, will be airing primetime on the FOX8 channel from October, 2002.
The series is produced by Jim Henson Television and Hallmark Entertainment and, since its launch in 1999, it has become a huge hit for the SCI FI Channel in the United States and the United Kingdom.

FOXTEL has taken over as the Australian investment partner on Farscape as of Series Four, which is currently shooting at Homebush, in Sydney.
Director of Television Brian Walsh said FOXTEL was delighted to support this outstanding drama series, which has been an unqualified success in many television markets around the world.
And has occasionaly been shown on Australian free to air.

"Farscape will be comprehensively promoted and marketed by FOXTEL and the series will be showcased on FOX8, the number one channel on Australian subscription television," he said. "It is our clear intention to support this extraordinary series in a primetime slot and give it the promotion it deserves."

Farscape's Executive Producer David Kemper said: "We're particularly pleased to have a wonderful new broadcast partner here in Australia. Farscape makes use of the finest talent on the continent, both in front of and behind the camera, and we believe that Australian audiences will thrill to the ride that is captivating viewers around the globe. We think we're Australia's best-kept television secret, and look forward to sharing that secret with all of FOX8 and FOXTEL's subscribers."

FOX8 will pick up the story at Series Two and continue through into next year with Series Three. (Series One has already run on FOX Kids.)
The Australian premiere of Farscape Series 4 will be on FOXTEL in 2003.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks