What's new

'Far From The Madding Crowd' - are Warner supposed to be preparing this? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I think FFTMC was asked about in one of the recent Warner chats, but it didn't get a clearcut response. Does anyone know whether they are preparing it for release in Region 1? (There is a Region 2 version but it's technically a disaster.) This is its 40th anniversary year, but they'd have to announce it pretty soon if it's to come out this year.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
My recollection is that in the last Warner chat they said sometime this year, but as always their schedule is subject to change.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I have been (im)patiently waiting for this release too, Bruce. I've only lately had the capability to check out region 2, so thanks for the warning. I'll wait a little longer on the Region 1.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Whatever you do, do not give in to the temptation to get the region 2 disc. I think it's the first time I actually pitched a DVD into the waste basket. Sadly, the laserdisc or even VHS versions are far better. A restored DVD is badly needed.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

The Region 2 must be horrific. I pulled out my widescreen laserdisc a few days ago, and that's pretty bad. We really need a quality transfer of this one.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

'Horrific' is an understatement! Except for the opening credits, it's in a cropped 1.85 ratio instead of the correct 2.35 ratio. And the opening credits sequence looks so murky that you'd think it had been shot at dusk instead of in full daylight. Also the transfer has a mono soundtrack instead of the original stereo sound.

I didn't get past the opening credits - once the ratio changed to 1.85, I just gave up.

ted:r

Second Unit
I asked the question (really, because someone else (Patty?) who could not attend the chat (early 2006) had asked that it would be asked and I have an affinity toward the movie.) I had asked about several movies, 2 of which ("Shoot The Moon" and "A Big Hand For The Little Lady") are about to be released. The other three were "Far From The Madding Crowd", "The Rain People" and "Rachel, Rachel" (If I recollect correctly). The reply was (again, if I recall correctly) most of those would be released by EOY 2007. (I wait (in rapt anticipation) for the one that I would presume be in the offing...)

I think it is safe to assume that WB will have another chat early 2008 and I would hope someone would ask for that again. The important point, it would seem to me, would be that people keep bringing it up.

BTW after I asked my 5, Ron, rather correctly. implored we keep our questions to 1 particular movie or topic (trying to avoid, I believe, the laundry lists that would probably occur.) As such, I have my cogent (a-hem!) question already (patience Ted, patience!) So I hope someone else will specifically ask the question next year!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ted,
In the following boxset, "Rachel, Rachel" is being released with "Shoot the Moon" on November 6th. The first time I watched "Far From the Madding Crowd", I instantly fell in love with Julie Christie. Without a doubt, I think Warner will release this fine film within the near future.

http://www.lasersedge.com/item_detai...88867&tMedia=1

Crawdaddy

PattyFraser

Second Unit
As I keep saying, this would be a perfect February release, as it all hinges on a Valentine's Day card, carelessly sent.

After seeing the wonderful job done with "Ryan's Daughter", I'll wait till we get a release worthy of the film, and resist the region 2 urge. FFTMC has always been one of my favorites (I'm a Thomas Hardy fan) so I hope it comes out soon.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
put me down for this one as soon as it's announced.
I've never seen it, but always wanted too.
Thomas Hardy + Terrence Stamp + Julie Christie + Alan Bates...wow.

I'll be even happier if they kick it out on HD at the same time.

_________

Just looked it up- didn't realize Peter Finch was in it too. I mean, c'mon, how can you not want to see that?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

The laserdisc is pretty poor. There are parts of the film that look faded and discolored. Still, it is in the proper ratio, at least. I think it was one of my old Leonard Maltin "Movie/Video Guide" books from the '90s that referred to the film as "shamefully underrated". I expect it has not been released because of the fact that it badly needs some restoration. A release based on the laserdisc elements would be disappointing.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Then, like me, you're probably waiting for The Go-Between as well.

Cees

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
Far From the Madding Crowd is easily one of the top five films in the Warners Library which still hasn't been released on DVD. DVD was made for these kind of lush epic wide screen films. A release seems long overdue, hopefully the only reason is because they have restored it with care. I join the rest of you in eagerly looking forward to a release this year or early next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.