What's new

Fanedits - The Two Towers and Return of the King? (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
I have no idea where is appropriate to post this, so I pick here...

I have come across something called "Feanor Editions" of The Two Towers and Return of the King. All I know so far is these are fanedits of these two movies that are intended to bring the movies closer to the books.

If anyone is familiar with these fanedits, please comment.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
How do you get them? I looked at the trailers and I am definitely very interested in them because it looks like it might fix all the major issues I had with the changes (for no good reason) to the books.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Chuck Anstey said:
How do you get them?
I don't think we are supposed to be discussing that sort of thing, but given the information you have and a little Internet savvy, you should be able to turn something up.

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
I have been doing my own fandits for along time, ever since Phantom Menance DVD to de-Jar Jar that film. This was the first fanedit I came across and it sowed the seed in my brain. I've created my own versions of many favourites of the fanedit community, Matrix Trilogy de-Zionised, LOTR, etc.I taught myself to edit DVD rips us

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
I have been doing my own serious fandits for along time, ever since Phantom Menance DVD to de-Jar Jar that film. This was the first fanedit I came across and it sowed the seed in my brain. I've created my own versions of many favourites of the fanedit community, Matrix Trilogy de-Zionised, Indy IV, LOTR, etc. Back in the day I did VHS versions of Blade Runner and Legend. I taught myself to edit my own DVD rips using Womble MPEG Wizard. With the advent of BluRay I migrated to AVIsynth as editing AVC H264 was a real pain. I like to do my own versions because quality is more important than the edit, I won't make the cut if I can't make it seemless. Also many Fanedits go too far. So for example with Die Another Day, I just took out the final part of the absurd ice chase where Bond para-surfs the wave following an explosion. (A true jumping the shark moment) This trim is only a few minutes, but is invisible as an edit. But by ratcheting down the absurdity by just one notch the film stays on the right line of enjoyable. I've already done my version of The Hobbit taking just 15 minutes out of the film. Cuts included no Frodo, no Dwarves burping, no Sebastian, no stick insect (hardest cut), no Rock giants, no bridge collapse. I also tightened the party, Bilbo leaving, Orc chase, arrival at Rivendell and the fall into Goblin town.I did a version of the Two Towers where I took out Aragorns fake death and the Nazgul at Osgiliath. Since then I turned LOTR trilogy into a 16 episode mini series, with titles and credits and few minor other edits. This was so I could enjoy the films with my son, who is not up to watching three 4 hour long movies. Once the idea of breaking up the viewings occurred, I looked at the films and decided they broke very nicely into 45 minute episodes. I looked into making the films more like the books, but the footage just isn't there to make it work. You need to cross cut Frodo's journey, it doesn't work as one block because the pacing is terrible. Last year I took the Marvel movies Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Captain American, Hulk and Thor and edited them chronologically into another 15 episode Mini series. Hulk and Iron Man 2 are greatly improved being cut up this way.Now that I use AVIsynth for my editing it would be easy enough to share the scripts so people can run their own edits without searching for torrents. It's something I've been thinking of blogging about. As an aside the is a really good AVIsynth script on a blog with guidelines for de-greening the Fellowship blu-ray.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Nick Laslett said:
I did a version of the Two Towers where I took out Aragorns fake death and the Nazgul at Osgiliath.
Generally, when I like a film enough to purchase it, there isn't enough that I dislike that I would want to have it edited (although at somepoint I am going to have to figure out how to edit the original Clash of the Titans to make it a bit more suited for youngsters). However, the entire sequence at Osgiliath. It was easily the worst part of any of the four Jackson Tolkein films so far (not surprizingly, it was not in the book). Frodo's actions were against character and it seemed like a cheap attempt to recapture some of the Nazgul tension of Fellowship.

Tom Logan

Second Unit
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]Since then I turned LOTR trilogy into a 16 episode mini series, with titles and credits and few minor other edits. This was so I could enjoy the films with my son, who is not up to watching three 4 hour long movies.[/color]
OMG you're the best dad ever. My dad locked me in a closet for hours at a time and the mops and cleaning products became my homemade puppet theater.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Wow. I am so glad I found this thread!First of all to put to rest any hesitations as to the legality of making yourself a personal edit of a DVD or Blu ray here is what I know: as long as it is for personal use and you own the original discs you a sampling then it is ok. I remember during the time that Star Wars Episode I the phantoms edit was circulating it was established that it fell under the area of parody and therefore ok. I believe even Lucas commented and seemed to okay it in that context. Now the questions:HOW?I have always wanted to play with a few movies and do a little editing. Nothing as grandiose as Nick (though I admit I am sure tempted now) but a few trims. First to go will likely be Anakin killing a room full of little kids. Totally out of character and a cheap attempt at making him REALLY REALLY dark in 10 seconds. Failed. Agree with trimming nudity in Clash of The Titans to watch with kids and wanted to trim Hobbit to watch with my boys removing stuff not in book. However 20 to 30 minute episodes is starting to sound good for Hobbit :)So main question how to I rip by BD and keep same quality and which software to edit. I have a PC. also am thinking of buying a MacBook soon. What can I used then? Can I use Final Cut Pro and what do I rip BD with to get a file compatible. THANKS A MILLION!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Rolando said:
I remember during the time that Star Wars Episode I the phantoms edit was circulating it was established that it fell under the area of parody and therefore ok. I believe even Lucas commented and seemed to okay it in that context.
I'm no lawyer but there's no way that re-editing a movie falls under parody.

Rolando

Screenwriter
I am just going from memory. I will definitely have to look that up to be sure though. However I can see the difference between making yourself a backup of your purchased Bluray and taking out some scenes to either shorten it and making a new edition and selling it when you don't own the right to either the material nor distribution. I mean cutting some scenes for yourself is really not much different than pressing fast forward or skip while re-watching your favorite movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks