What's new

Fanboys (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's kind of cold to talk about PMs in relation to the lovely Ms. Bell. Then again, I defer to Peter Wolf.

I hope that when this issue's gone
I'll see you when your clothes are on

Of course, we know where the song goes after that. Besides, I know if it's any good, my buddy Tim will hook me up. ;)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This week's Entertainment Weekly has a Q&A with Bell and it states Fanboys will be released in January.

DVDManiac

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
This looks pretty damn funny. Really good trailer to what should be a really good movie.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I was just reading about Fanboys, and it seems there have been a few developments in the past few months.

Apparently, the Weinsteins decided to edit oput the whole "dying of cancer" plotline and make it into a more typical teen comedy, since that tested better. So there was some internet upcry, and the end result is that the Weinsteins say they will release both versions on DVD, and are supposedly exploring the possibility of a theatrical release of both versions (which seems unlikely to me, but that's what they are saying).

Here's the article.

Personally, the idea of a guy trying to see the new Star Wars film before he dies of cancer - I might see a film like that. Without it, I'm guessing it would just be a "laugh at the Star Wars fanboys" film, which I can see would have more commercial appeal in a dumb teem comedy way, but wouldn't interest me at all.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Wasn't part of it that the guy wanted to see it before he died, and it being "The Phantom Menace," his reaction was, "THAT is what I had to see as my dying wish?!"?

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I can see why they opted for direct-to-dvd. I can't see this playing too wide with the mainstream crowd. Hell, if Grindhouse couldn't find an audience.. there's probably even less of an audience for this no matter how good the final product might be.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Surely Harvey and Bob won't release both versions at once, will they? I'm sure they'll sit on the "original version" for an unspecified amount of time with the release date always "to be determined."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. And now that the meaninglessly tiny audience of people on the internet that might have seen it have risen up against the edited version, they won't get a theatrical release and no mainstream audience will ever see it. I'm sure the people behind the movie want their version out there for the world to see but I bet they're not too happy about not having a theatrical release (even if they had to get one with an edited version).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Someone needs to tell the geeks the Bob Sugar axiom:

It's not show "friends", it's show business. When you sell your film to TWC, this is what you get. Welcome to Hollywood.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
So this came out Feb.6th. Yet, it's not playing anywhere near me. Video ETA shows it coming to dvd in May.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Check theaters over the next couple of weeks; it's opening here in the Boston area on the 20th; I don't know whether it's done well enough in limited release to get a wider roll-out (hooray for there being absolutely nothing else coming out this weekend!) or someone realizing that there's an awful lot of nerds here.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw it last week and while its heart is in the right place, it's not very good and it's not hard to see why it sat on the shelf for a while. I wanted to like it but you can't make a movie where nearly every joke is based on Star Wars. And that's coming from a huge SW fan.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My soon to be 6yr old son loves Star Wars. We were on the computer and we were looking at movie trailers when he saw the poster that has the stormtrooper helmet. So he asked me to play it. I did and now he wants to see it. I know its PG-13. But, the inappropriate stuff usually goes over his head. What I am probably going to do is wait until its out on dvd and when something inappropriate comes on just forward it. Although, with his attention span. He will probably forget about the movie by next week. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks