Family Ties Season 5 question

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by cineMANIAC, Apr 3, 2009.

1. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    The last three episodes on disc 4 are obviously from a previous season, probably season 3. However, the end credits indicate a copyright from 1986. Then I read the synopsis and realized they originally aired in July and August of 87, well after the regular season. Anyone have any insight into this? Are they "lost" episodes that Paramount decided to throw into this DVD or something?

2. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Supporting Actor

"Matchmaker" was intended for the 3rd season, but didn't air until the summer of 1987.

The 2-parter "It's My Party" was intended for the 4th season, but didn't air until the summer of 1987.

BTW, CBS/Paramount really did a bad job on this set. The set once again has disclaimers about edited episodes, and music replacements. Both of this season's hour-long episodes are presented in 2 parts, and worst of all, part 1 of "It's My Party" is an edited, syndicated version. Why CBS/Paramount would do that, I will never know.

More in the Sitcomsonline review.

3. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Neither syndicated episodes nor music replacements represents a 'bad job.'

4. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Supporting Actor

Seeing that you support Lion's Gate and Paul Fusco for their horrible handling on ALF, I'm not surprised you said that.

5. Mark Talmadge

What was that? An insult? I think Lion's Gate did a terrific job on Alf as well as Speed Racer.

6. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
  7. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

NBC frequently aired FT episodes out of order, and would sometimes burn off older, unaired episodes after the regular season was over.

As for the set, Paramount actually did a better job with this than at least the first couple of seasons: despite the disclaimer, most of the music appears to be intact including the Doors and Steppenwolf in "My Name is Alex," and the original recordings of "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Turn, Turn, Turn." And while "My Name is Alex" is split into two parts, which is annoying, it's not actually missing any scenes.

I'm not defending Paramount's mistsakes, but it is a better job, at least music-wise, than I was expecting.

8. cineMANIAC

Supporter

Luis
    Ok so the network ran episodes out of order for whatever reason. Doesn't explain why the end credits indicate a copyright for a particular year when the production dates were from an earlier season. Anyway, I'm pleased with the overall presentation by Paramount of the series. I don't know if I like the "cramcase" packaging, though. This show feels like it should've been presented in a family-album type of box, kind of like that Little House On the Prairie set. Also, I want to know more about the cast and their current projects. What the hell is Meredith Birney doing these days? What about Justine Bateman? Filmographies were one of my favorite "extras".

9. cineMANIAC

Supporter

Luis
    Ok so the network ran episodes out of order for whatever reason. Doesn't explain why the end credits indicate a copyright for a particular year when the production dates were from an earlier season. Anyway, I'm pleased with the overall presentation by Paramount of the series. I don't know if I like the "cramcase" packaging, though. This show feels like it should've been presented in a family-album type of box, kind of like that Little House On the Prairie set. Also, I want to know more about the cast and their current projects. What the hell is Meredith Birney doing these days? What about Justine Bateman? Filmographies were one of my favorite "extras".

10. cineMANIAC

Supporter

Luis

11. Mark Talmadge

Yes it does. The copyright year indicates what year it was produced.

12. TV_Fan

TV_Fan Second Unit

Chris H

That's the funniest thing I've heard in awhile!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    .....and their "terrific job" is the reason why I refuse to buy those sets to this day.