What's new

Family Affair? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Miller

Stunt Coordinator
To Joe Karlosi--

I'm sorry, too. I misinterpreted what you meant. I get it now!

By the way, I love your name. It seems besides "corny" shows and movies, we both love the classic horror movies! :)

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
Woo hoo! Ok, I know I'm the biggest dork ever, but I'm excited about this - I looked at the back of the DVD Catalog List contained inside the "Beverly Hillbillies Ultimate Collection" that I bought today, and guess what is listed as "Coming Soon" from MPI?? Woo hoo, that's right, Family Affair. It doesn't say whether it's going to be season sets or a "best of", but here's hoping for season sets and at least something is coming!

Dan

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Its also mentioned in the Petticoat Junction set. I totally missed it. Hope its season sets like the Doris Day Show.

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
I missed that on the Petticoat Junction set too until now. Glad I finally noticed it on BH though, I've been hoping for Family Affair forever. I think the studio did a nice job on the Doris Day season 1 set, and I hope that Family Affair gets the same treatment.

Dan

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Great News!!! I just emailed MPI Home Video and they responded 2 minutes later! Here's my question and their reponse.

Hi,

I recently purchased the Petticoat Junction dvd set and inside is a flyer that says Family Affair is coming soon. I was wondering if they are referring to the old tv series. If so, can you please tell me when this is going to be
released and if it be a season set or "Best Of" release? Thanks, Ron Green

Their Reponse:

That item is the old TV series & is being planned to be released in season sets beginning next spring.

Thank you for your inquiry.
MPI Home Video

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
That is awesome news! But I wonder why there's absolutely no mention on tvshowsondvd.com of this upcoming release? That's weird. Maybe it's because Gord is only 27 or so and has never heard of the show nor seen it in reruns (just kidding Gord if you're reading this - great site). Seriously, I would love to be getting news about this release from Gord's site - it kind of makes me nervous about the reality of the release until something about it appears there. I am really happy to hear that it's planned to be season sets - I remember there were some story arcs in this show and season sets make a lot more sense than a "best of".

Dan

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Heh...I'd been planning to post it today for a few days. It's up now. I didn't want to post any of that MPI stuff from the booklet until I had more info. LOTS more info. I am sure you'll agree that I achieved my goal.

The only title I couldn't get more info about was the Nightline 25th Anniversary thing, so I haven't posted anything about that yet (nothing to say until I get some details).

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
New news regarding Family Affair. TVShowsOnDVD.com has this listed for a probable April release. However, as April isn't that far off and I hadn't heard anything about a definite date, artwork, or any ability to pre-order, I e-mailed MPI to see what was up. Their response was as follows:

"That title has been tentatively scheduled for a summer release, but that
date is not official at this time.

Thank you for your inquiry.
MPI Home Video"

MPI has done a great job with their classic TV releases, IMO, and I'm hopeful that they're taking their time with Family Affair to do a proper restoration and also (hopefully again) some extras. It would be nice to hear commentary from the surviving cast members. If anyone has any further information about this I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,
Dan

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
MPI Home Video now has the First Season Set available for pre-order on their website. 30 First Season Episodes on 5 discs. MSRP $39.95. Cover Art is a nice shot of the entire family. Street date listed is 6/27!

This was one of my childhood favorites...I've been eagerly awaiting it's release!

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
The third season episode Waltz From Vienna is missing about a minute. Someone on YouTube posted Cissy's missing dream sequence from an Italian airing of the episode. I wonder if the network here needed an extra minute and that is why it is missing. I asked Kathy Garver and she has no idea but thinks as I do.
Does anyone know if this scene aired here? I saw a contemporary review that mentioned the scene, but it could have been from an uncut pre-broadcast print.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I remember watching the premiere episode on CBS on that Monday in September of 1966. It followed Lucy and Andy Griffith on the CBS schedule, comfortably placed after Mr. Griffith, and with the CBS primetime schedule now in full color.

The series theme played over top of a kaleidoscope of colorful jewels. It seemed to me that the producers wanted something really colorful to show off the new show as a color broadcast.

FamilyAffair.jpg

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
The third season episode Waltz From Vienna is missing about a minute. Someone on YouTube posted Cissy's missing dream sequence from an Italian airing of the episode. I wonder if the network here needed an extra minute and that is why it is missing. I asked Kathy Garver and she has no idea but thinks as I do.
Thanks for this information, I have often wondered why this episode runs a minute shorter than the others, didn't know there's a dream sequence scene that's missing on the DVD.

Room With A Viewpoint, episode 6 from season 1, also runs about a minute shorter than usual but I don't think anything is missing from the episode, it's just speeded up/time compressed.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
This show needs to be restored from film. These sets come from video masters made in the 1980s. The original broadcasts featured an announcer over the opening credits and the CBS card at the end. The missing footage from "A Waltz From Vienna" should be on the film masters as well. A blu-ray set would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks