What's new

Famed Director of Classic Westerns, Budd Boetticher, Passed Away Last Week ... (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Budd Boetticher's obituary was published in the L.A. Times on Saturday, December 1.

Boetticher's 50's westerns, with Randolph Scott, are true classics; critically acclaimed & immensely enjoyable.

I suggest the best and most appropriate way to honor Boetticher's legacy (and save his work) is to release his classic westerns in the DVD format - hopefully, as soon as possible. If Columbia is indeed reluctant to issue 'catalog' films, has been reported elsewhere on this forum, then perhaps the Boetticher films could be licensed to a company such as Roan or Kino (Kino, by the way, has already released a Boetticher film on DVD, one of his early noirs, but we really need the classic westerns).

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
I attended a Boetticher retrospective in New York last year (which he spoke at) and saw brand new prints of RIDE LONESOME, THE TALL T and COMMANCHE STATION (this was also being done in conjunction with the New York Film Festival's screening of SEVEN MEN FROM NOW). All the prints were restored and look quite nice. I'm sure Columbia is aware of the interest in these films and I hope that they come around to releasing them all on disc. I would certainly buy them all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks