Falling Skies (TNT) season 3 premieres 6/09/2013

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jun 9, 2013.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Is it just me or is this show just getting too depressing? Yes, I know its about a war with aliens. But, it just seems like every week their circumstances get worse...Even when it looks like they are doing better.

A few other things....

-Regarding the science guy. I know he is not a people person. But, he is a very valueable asset to the survivors. Shouldn't he be guarded a bit more...Even if they just stay outside the room?

-Regarding the fight between Tom & Pope...It just seemed to be a bit out of Tom's character to be so nasty and start a fight after Pope kinda opened up to him.

-So what are other viewers thoughts here...Are the Volm good or bad?

-Still trying to figure out who the spy is. Tom's son just seems to easy.

2. David Norman

David Norman Cinematographer
    Supporter

Tom's son is too easy and if he was the only spy, how did they destroy the Nuclear Plant since he knew the whole plan and wouldn't have needed to take pictures of the Plans left in the War Room.

The VP is an easy answer since she has access to a lot of stuff without being privy to the exact inner workings, but it seems a bit too easy as well.

Anne could be the spy if the Alien Baby was somehow manipulating her without here knowing, but it seems like she was in labor during at least one of the major spy events.

Lourdes and Jeannie seem to be close enough to be unexpected moles. it seems like the silouette that was shown before Manchester was shot
    certainly was meant to make the mole seem to be female.

3. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I'm going with the VP, particularly if the mole is going to be revealed in the short run. She just showed up in the season premier, so there's not much audience investment in her character yet.

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Maybe it's Tom, though not consciously. There's got to be some alien DNA in there somewhere to have made the hybrid baby.

5. David Norman

David Norman Cinematographer
    Supporter

Possibly, but unless the unconscious part isn't aware of the conscious part, how would the sneak attack misdirect on the Nuclear Plant have worked.
    I also think he was somewhat otherwise occupied with manchester was shot as well as why would the Aliens try to kill their own spy i the plane?

6. Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Supporting Actor

The show is dark and that is something I kind of like about it the most. It has a more realistic feel to it, even killing off the kids or making them into alien zombies that are even worse than being dead. To me, it's sort of like a sci-fi version of The Walking Dead and you never know what's coming or whom will be killed.

In regard to Tom turning on Pope, that was WAY too strange and seemed very out of place in how it was done. He was certainly the instigator there and just because of some prank or joke you turn so hostile that it becomes a deadly fight? I didn't buy into that one minute and it made Tom look like the crazy one there.

I am thinking it's the VP as well, especially given the fact she has the strange science guy analyzing the Volm weapon without the knowldege of others. We know now they could look like us, so maybe she is an alien hybrid of the original person now dead? Also, I thought maybe the "real" President and some of the top leaders were now aliens too and they were taking the Volm rebel leader for info on their weapon.

7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Concerning the fight, consider the level of tension everyone is living under, it's pretty extreme. Add to that, they are sleeping in the forest and at any moment an alien could attack. Then Pope does the snake bit, and a lot of people are creeped out by snakes under normal circumstances.

Yeah, they could have just had him shout at Pope, but I didn't think the fight was an unrealistic choice.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Captain Weaver has had a lot of loyal lapdog scenes this season, but when the character's given moments to shine, man does Will Patton bring it. You can't teach an actor how to pull of a scene like the one in Pope's bar. Either you have that kind of screen presence, or you don't. A perfectly executed scene.

I also appreciate the Tector character. His exchange with the youngest Mason son by the humvee was exactly right: "You going to kill him?" "Orders say otherwise." "Orders can change." "Yes they can." A lot of characters on this show would sugarcoat it, and it was a great character beat that he didn't. He has enough respect for this family and this kid to prepare him for the strong possibility.

I was torn with the Hal situation. On one hand, the outcome reinforced the feeling that, much like Star Trek, the main characters on this show are immune from lasting harm. On the other hand, I would have hated to lose one of the few really strong actors in this cast.

9. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    My wife and youngest son just completed re-watching season one and watching season two for the first time (we picked up season two only a week or so ago). Because the seasons don't really have all that many episodes in them, they worked their way through them rather quickly.

Last night, I was watching a baseball game while the most recent episode of Falling Skies was being DVR'd. We often watch the current week's episode a few days after it is aired. I go upstairs to say goodnight to one of my children, and he and my wife are about fifteen minutes in to the newest episode -- not good! ;) Anyway, we're going to watch this one in its entirety either tonight or tomorrow.

"I was torn with the Hal situation. On one hand, the outcome reinforced the feeling that, much like Star Trek, the main characters on this show are immune from lasting harm. On the other hand, I would have hated to lose one of the few really strong actors in this cast."Okay, I gather from this that a main character doesn't die, at least not yet? I hope that's the case as well.

10. spshultz

spshultz Second Unit

John Ratzen
    Man, I thought Dew Roy (Hal) did an awesome job of acting while being on the table getting ready for the alien parasite hunter/seeker thing as well as during the extraction phase. It kinda creeped me out.

Actually, I thought that whole episode was top notch.

Ockeghem likes this.
  11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    This is the best season so far. It's not perfect, but constantly thrilling and getting a great balance between the stable location and desire to keep people and story moving. Really enjoying it.

12. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I watched Sunday night's episode last night. The scene with Hal on the table was creepy, and IMO quite graphic. But it worked very well, I thought. I was quite happy that Maggie didnt' fall for pre-extraction Hal's pleas of "I'm okay! It's me!", etc. I was also a bit impressed (or perhaps somewhat confused -- I'm not sure which) as to the degree of fortitude Maggie displayed during the entire extraction phase. I know she's strong and a crack shot, but I didn't expect her to appear to be that calm during that scene.

I really appreciate too how Pope respects Weaver as much as he does. I think Pope also respects Tom (although he probably still dislikes him quite a bit), but Weaver has a definite authoritative air about him, and Pope is (at least in my view) subservient to Dan when the chips are down. As a poster above noted, a top-notch episode for sure.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    They're showing Pope to be more and more a political realist. He's rebellious, hates authority (except his own), but knows the limits. As Tom flatly put it an episode ago, Pope won't actually leave Charleston. So he's running to the limit. He's making as much trouble as he can, getting as much popularity and power as he can. But staying on the side of the line that lets him keep living in this reforming society.

Ockeghem likes this.
  14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I agree. I liked the idea of that episode, but not the execution. The abrupt aggression by Tom was out of character, and the entire episode felt forced and rushed. And then, reset, we're back home.

The spy: I don't think it was Hal. It's too clean, and there some indications he wasn't positioned for all the spy's activities. I've liked the VP from the start, mostly because the introduction of a new recurring character fits how a TV show might be executed.

The Volm: I've got two thoughts on this. First, Anne's baby is a result of her manipulation of the Volm device for de-harnassing kids. The first episode suggested a direct neurological interface with her.

What are their motivations? Cochese marvelously talked around the "President's" question...but crucially perhaps I took that they have a ravaged population and may no longer have a homeworld. So perhaps they're fighting the Eshfeni for resources. They 'liberate' the Eshfeni's slaves, but then take over the population indirectly for their own needs.

In a different thread someone asks what to watch this summer; another quips to use the summer to catch up on unseen shows. That used to be what my summer TV watching was, enjoying unseen shows on disc. I've got a few seasons on my shelf designated for Summer. The "problem" is off-season TV has gotten so much better. I think Falling Skies and Defiance are as good or better than any other sci-fi on during Fall / Winter season. Because of this, I'm having a hard time watching my three seasons of Community on DVD :)

15. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I'd love to discuss tonight's episode, but I don't know if everyone has seen it and I don't want to spoil anything. I'll just say that I really loved it, and was completely caught off guard by a few things that occurred.

16. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    yeah, completely caught off guard. This season has been surprisingly good; this show has really found its sea legs.

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

The show got me with the reveal of the mole, too. It was not someone I was even considering, but like all good reveals it made perfect sense once I knew what to look for.When I read the synopsis of the episode, I figured the family of marauders would just serve to delay the Masons' fateful meeting with Karen another week. And while functionally it did serve that purpose, there was a lot of great character work in that storyline. I did not expect the show to pull a Walking Dead and have the youngest son shoot the uncle, and the actors who played the family were surprisingly good in a show that isn't exactly known for attracting talented bit players.I also thought Stephen Collins was very presidential, such that when the fate of his character is made clear, it has real impact.Will Patton was again phenomenal in an episode that really gave him good writing to work with for a change. We're used to a Weaver who shoots from the hip and leads from his gut. It was interesting seeing him play the long, careful game. He's not disloyal, but he doesn't like what he's seeing and he's moving pieces around the board to manage the fallout if things go like he's expecting.All in all, one of the best episodes the show has done, and a great set up for what is coming.

18. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    I enjoyed tonight's episode as well.

My only concern (and its the same as I had last year), is that we are only a few episodes away from another year-long hiatus.

I don't recall if there has been any news about whether there will be another season (which would be a shame if there isn't).

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I thought that was a fantastic episode. I like Mason vs Isolationists. There are sure to be repercussions with Matt. Pope...I feel that his writing is erratic. But his role as counterpoint to authority is consistent. Lourdes as the mole? I didn't expect that!

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I was staring at Cochese last night....I've been trying to figure out how they're pulling off that level of CG character work. Then it hit me: that's a mask! That might be the best alien I've seen on TV, and possibly the movies. His facial expressions and dialog are perfect. It's only when I watch his hands, which are immobile, that I appreciate their budget restraints.