What's new

"Falling Skies" on TNT starting June 2011 (1 Viewer)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
New season starting June 17th. I'm looking forward to this. It's a nice summer filler.
And, I'm hoping they got a slightly larger budget this time around.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
spshultz said:
New season starting June 17th.  I'm looking forward to this.  It's a nice summer filler.
And, I'm hoping they got a slightly larger budget this time around.
So glad this is coming back. Kind of like James Cameron's movies, it's got the emotional story behind things, not just a bunch of special effects.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
Ockeghem said:
Diallo,
I would love to have you elaborate on this, if you're willing.
the score for this show sounds like a 1980's after school special score. it irritates me to no end. if music is going to be added to a scene i would prefer that it have some dramatic impact. often the score is just really immature sounding to me. that is the best way i can explain it.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
mattCR said:
It was renewed before the first episode aired; and the ratings were quite good.. why the surprise?
[shrug] i would have rather the 4400 gotten renewed instead. [/shrug]

Diallo B

Screenwriter
Stan said:
it's got the emotional story behind things, not just a bunch of special effects.
i agree with this. however, some of the decision making of some of the characters is extra damn dumb. i just cant imagine being in some of the situations that these folks are in and some of the decisions that are made. and there are far too many instances of kids, and in some cases adults, doing dumb stuff. that just doesn't seem all that realistic to me given the circumstances that these people are in. some of these decisions can literally lead to the demise of the entire group. smh......

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Diallo B said:
The 4400 was canceled years ago and wasn't even on TNT.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
It was renewed before the first episode aired; and the ratings were quite good.. why the surprise?
Never knew this, but glad it happened.
To bad Terra Nova didn't get the same consideration.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Diallo B /t/307229/falling-skies-on-tnt-starting-june-2011/60#post_3925277

I enjoyed 4400 as well.. but let's cover this:

It had a dismal ratings 1st season, and they renewed it anyway hoping it'd grow; and it didn't. As far as that goes, USA stuck with 4400 longer then a lot of networks would have. So, I can't blame USA for that one.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Diallo B said:
i agree with this. however, some of the decision making of some of the characters is extra damn dumb. i just cant imagine being in some of the situations that these folks are in and some of the decisions that are made. and there are far too manyinstances of kids, and in some cases adults, doing dumb stuff. that just doesn't seem all that realistic to me given the circumstance that these people are in. some of these decisions can literally lead to the demise of the entire group. smh......
Agree with you on the dumb decisions, but I still enjoy the show, just overlook the flaws and really dumb decisions and keep watching. The whole quasi-military group versus the civilians is rather silly, but with television and movies, we as an audience have little choice. This has enough positives to keep me watching and ignore the silly situations that sometimes happen.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
NeilO said:
The 4400 was canceled years ago and wasn't even on TNT.
ummm.... i still would have rathered the 4400 had gotten renewed years ago on a different station....

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Diallo B said:
ummm.... i still would have rathered the 4400 had gotten renewed years ago on a different station....
And........ I'd rather have gotten a bigger raise at work than either being renewed (though I like both). But one has nothing to do with the other, so, umm, yeah

Stan

Senior HTF Member
A bit off topic, and since this show is safe, just curious how some other shows get cancelled, Except for the situation comedies and a few other minor shows that are filmed shortly before they air, most shows are filmed, edited, special effects added, etc. many months before they air.It's pretty obvious when they're showing an episode set in summer yet all the trees are dormant and snow is on the ground.
Not counting things like Desperate Housewives which seems to always have a perfectly gorgeous Wisteria Lane.
What I'm curious about is shows that have a huge lead time between filiming and airing, why are things cancelled when they've already spent loads of money on episodes that will never be seen? Why not let things like Awake, Missing, Terra Nova and others end properly instead of writing in a quickie version that ends the show.
Hope I didn't hijack this thread, love Falling Skies and am so glad it's returning. But even Falling Skies comes into question. What if people hated it and the network decided to drop it? From the teasers I've seen it looks like they were already filming last summer and fall. If the ratings weren't that great they'd just dump it? Leaving who knows how many episodes in limbo, never to be seen.
I'm probably analyzing things a bit to much, but some perfectly decent shows have been dumped, when the networks could have easily shown the "unseen" episodes to provide some type of closure.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
Stan said:
A bit off topic, and since this show is safe, just curious how some other shows get cancelled, Except for the situation comedies and a few other minor shows that are filmed shortly before they air, most shows are filmed, edited, special effects added, etc. many months before they air.It's pretty obvious when they're showing an episode set in summer yet all the trees are dormant and snow is on the ground.
Not counting things like Desperate Housewives which seems to always have a perfectly gorgeous Wisteria Lane.
What I'm curious about is shows that have a huge lead time between filiming and airing, why are things cancelled when they've already spent loads of money on episodes that will never be seen? Why not let things like Awake, Missing, Terra Nova and others end properly instead of writing in a quickie version that ends the show.
Hope I didn't hijack this thread, love Falling Skies and am so glad it's returning. But even Falling Skies comes into question. What if people hated it and the network decided to drop it? From the teasers I've seen it looks like they were already filming last summer and fall. If the ratings weren't that great they'd just dump it? Leaving who knows how many episodes in limbo, never to be seen.
I'm probably analyzing things a bit to much, but some perfectly decent shows have been dumped, when the networks could have easily shown the "unseen" episodes to provide some type of closure.
i think its a cost/benefit ratio with certain networks with the shortest leash being on broadcast networks. if a certain show can not command a certain advertising rate based on sponsors (commercials) then the network does not feel as though it has a good enough of cost/benefit ratio in order to justify its continued existence on the network. in other words, if enough people are not watching then the network can not charge advertisers enough money to cover the cost of the show to the network.
think about the superbowl. the nfl can charge 3 million bux for 30 seconds because that is one of, if not the most watched programs of the year.
with that said, i agree that if a show has already been filmed there is no harm in simply burning off the remaining episodes. and that is also another reason why unless i have great interest in a show, especially on a broadcast station, i will wait for the first season to complete. i have been burned too many times with shows that i liked that either got the ax mid season or the show was left on a cliff hanger that will never be resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks