What's new

Falling asleep at movies? (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I fell asleep during Look Who's Talking. I was very sick though and that was the best sleep I got all night.
I saw Wing Commander with a friend and he fell asleep. I had to keep elbowing him because he would start to snore. If you think a friends cell phone going off is embarrassing, just wait until they start snoring. Luckily it was a crap movie so no one cared. :)

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My girlfriend and I had a very hard time staying awake during Snatch. It wasn't the movies fault at all, we actually watch the DVD quite often. We had a very long day, and ended up seeing the 11pm show. We kept nodding off.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Gosford Park got me too, but to be fair it was the most tired I've been going into a film in years, just a few hours sleep the night before.
Usually a comfey feeling film gets me more than anything, which GPark is. It was right in the middle (when a certain character is discovered to be something else...which I missed during the minute I nodded). I was pretty pissed at myself but I enjoyed the film quite a bit actually.
Now at home this happens all the time, again especially if the film is pleasant to watch. Gets me relaxed and happy. But that's what PAUSE is for, just as I'm fading I hit that pause button, wake up later and continue on. ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also fell asleep through Final Fantasy, and most recently: DragonFly (I didn't even review that film due to me zonking out in the middle, though the ending was fairly predictable given the initial setup and trailers for the film. I also fell asleep in some horror movie with "Illusion" in the title while "seeing" it with some office workers (I haven't lived that one down to this day).

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I fell asleep during Rain Man, but I had seen it already.
I almost fell asleep during The Thin Red Line, which was a late show that started around the time I usually go to bed.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
My wife and I and another couple slept through most of Gosford Park at 3h00 in the afternoon. We've agreed to get together and try it again when it comes to dvd.

[edit: note to self...think before you type, swinger]

~~Nathan

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
A film I've never been able to get through at home without a snooze is Apocalypse Now. All is fine until we get to the Kurtz compound, and then I start to nod off. I will admit it's always been late at night when I put it on.
OTOH, when I saw AN in the theater last year for the first time, I was mesmerized from start to finish (even the added Redux footage). The print was so pristine, the sound so enveloping, and the film just works so well on the big screen. I couldn't take my eyes off of it for a second. It stands as one of my great filmgoing experiences, and a prime example of why I still treasure the moviegoing experience.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The last movie I dozed off on was Gladiator. Maybe it was because I just got off work, but man, the non action sequences were extremely dull.

I also had trouble staying awake during Final Fantasy.

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
For me it was Shakespeare In Love. This was at a 1:00pm matinee!! What a dry boring film. Both the wife and I were out like a light. At least it was only half price for this awful movie. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
First time falling asleep was on "The Grinch". While the Chinese food dinner helped, the movie and the environment was definitely conducive to sleeping.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I fell asleep during "Hamburger Hill" but it was the 3rd movie my friend and I hopped to and it was late. We hopped from La Bamba to Lost Boys to Hamburger Hill(I think) and I was out like a light about half way in. I was only like 13 so one would figure I could of made it but I woke up to my friend knocking my arm out from under my head.

ShawnF

Stunt Coordinator
A film I've never been able to get through at home without a snooze is Apocalypse Now. All is fine until we get to the Kurtz compound, and then I start to nod off. I will admit it's always been late at night when I put it on.
I love the film bu I have had the same experience when watching Apocalypse Now. Once they hit Kurtz' compound, my lids get heavy.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
I remember when I caught Fellowship of the Ring with Dan B when I came back from Christmas holiday there was a guy in there out cold, snoring pretty loud as well.

There was a loud bit and an audible fright when it woke him, quite funny.

John Lloyd

Second Unit
I actually feel asleep while watching the Matrix (twice).

The first time was at the theater and I dropped off for about ten minutes. I thought I owed it another shot so I bought the DVD and watched it at home on my comfortable couch. Apparently I dozed off again but I was able to see the part I missed the first time.

I normally don't fall asleep during movies so I am amazed that it happened twice for this one.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
I had been awake for somewhere in the area of 48 hours or so, but my ride that was going to finally deliver me home to my comfy comfy bed was not going to arrive for aboiut 2 hours. So I popped into the cinema and took in Mortal Kombat. I fell asleep during Johnny Cage's fight with Goro and was woken up by an usher who needed to sweep the row I occupied. Very embarassing. I have since seen the movie all the way through, and it remains a guilty pleasure of mine ;)

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
I have fallen asleep in a theater during two movies, "Death Becomes Her" (it would have become me at that point, too) and "Dune". I started getting drowsy when they handed me a dang sheet of "Dune" terminology in the lobby. OK, I'll try to read this in the dark when one of these words comes up. Funny, I didn't see "truncated" or "incomprehensible" on there. As a matter of fact, I'm getting pretty drowsy right now just thinking of that movie......g'night....

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Never did it myself, but a friend of mine did. It was in the old Glenwood Theater in Kansas City, we were sitting in the middle of a 900 (or so) seat auditorium for the theatrical rerelease of the original Fantasia. So just after all of the doom and hellfire of the "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence, just as it's quieting down into the hymn as dawn is breaking, the entire audience is silent watching this masterpiece unfold on screen. That's when my friend's infamously loud snoring began. He's also an infamously heavy sleeper, so he kept sawing logs for what seemed like a looooooong time as we attempted to wake him up!

ChrisV

Second Unit
Last summer I fell asleep during Planet of the Apes. I still can't get up the courage to rent it and find out if it was the movie or just general tiredness on my part (I have a feeling it was a little of both).

I also fell asleep during Eraserhead in college, but it was the third feature and it was the middle of the night so I don't feel so bad. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks