Falling asleep at movies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelM, Mar 25, 2002.

1. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

I remember I took this girl out on a date and we went to see the Age of Innocence. Of course it was her choice, but I wanted to please her for more important things later. Wow what a mistake, it turn out we both took a nap 30min in so we had nothing to talk about at dinner. That movie was so boring. Anyone else enter dreamland in those comfy theater seats [​IMG]

2. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

I've never once in my life fallen asleep in a movie theater, and I've only left a film two times (once for a fire alarm and another time for serious bladder issues).
    The closest I came to sleeping was when I saw Rushmore 4 years ago in New York. I had stayed up for the oscars all night over here, had one hours sleep, plane for 7 hours and went to see the movie. I couldn't enjoy it because I was so wrecked and I didn't like it as a result. Fortunately i've got the criterion dvd now and I love it [​IMG]
    In closing, falling asleep in movie theaters is baaaad mm'kay. [​IMG]

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i have fallen asleep once at a theater. ironicly it was called AWAKENINGS. with robin williams and deniro.

i promise you it is the truth. :b

4. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

my dad fell asleep during Space Jam. I took a nap during batman and robin.

5. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

I fell asleep during the original Batman (which I love); I was really tired when I went to see it. When I saw High Fidelity, something in the theater caught on fire, and we had to leave with about 15 min. left. I have never walked out of a movie, not even On Deadly Ground, the absolute worst movie I've ever paid to see--worse than Wild Wild West.

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    The only time I have come close to falling asleep in the theater was just a few weeks ago during Gosford Park. Now, there is much to admire about that film, but I felt the middle section just meandered and I caught myself nodding off a couple of times.
    Altman says his films need to be seen more than once, so I'll try it again on DVD.

7. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    THe only time I have fallen asleep in a theatre was for " What about Bob?". To be fair, I was coming down with the flu.

8. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

When I went to see The Phantom Menace for the 6th time in theaters I was out for a good 40 minutes. It was at my local theater so thankfully I only payed 3 bucks to see it.

9. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i believe alot of people slept in Final Fantasy... seriously, this was mentioned in its discussion thread. just the pointlessness of the story and the facet that it was computer animation (however good), i think, somehow made it more sleep-inducing then most movies...

10. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I fell asleep during Wing Commander. I didn't really want to see it. This was during my junior year of college. I'd finished my exams that evening, but my roommate and all my friends were still studying. I thought hitting the local discount theater would be an okay way to kill some time. On the upside, there was apparently a pretty severe problem in the last few minutes, and we all got free tickets for another showing of whatever movie we wanted. Hooray.

11. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Every so often I fall asleep in the theater. It has nothing to do with the quality of the film I'm watching, it's just that sometimes I get extremely tired around midnight or so. If this happens, I usually attempt to screen the film again. The last time I fell asleep was during Time Machine. The parts I saw were so bad, I decided it's not worth another attempted screening.

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I've fallen asleep in theaters several times, but only because I was working there and watching a movie after work. Here's a list of movies I've fallen asleep watching (most of these I went back and saw the parts I missed later):

Last of the Dogmen (tried TWICE to watch this movie, but fell asleep both times!)

The Postman

Soul Survivors

One-Two-Ka-Four (Indian Bollywood film, 3 hours long in Hindi with no subtitles, screened after getting only 5 hours of sleep in between- parts I was awake for were good though)

There's Something About Mary (watched it again later, but still think this movie's overrated)

My Dog Skip

Final Fantasy (scratched print might've had something to do with it)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (had sound problems)

Whole Nine Yards (the end woke me up, if you've seen it you know what I mean

Smoke Signals (enjoyed this, just was tired- watched most of it again later)

Notting Hill

The Mummy

America's Sweethearts

The San Francisco Chronicle's movie rating system has a cartoon guy in a seat reacting to how the reviewer liked the movie- the highest rating is him jumping out of the seat clapping, one of the lowest is him sleeping, the very lowest is the seat empty.

I'd never pay to go to a movie if I didn't think I'd be able to stay awake through it, and no matter how bad it gets I never leave til the VERY end!

13. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

My friend's dad slept through almost the entire movie of Deep Blue Sea. My said dad he would have liked to sleep during Blade II, but it was "too damn loud"

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

15. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    I do not fall asleep for something that I just paid for. In fact, this weekend when I took my girlfriend to see Blade II I waited unitl Sunday afternoon just so I wasn't paying for her to take a nap!!

Although, when I take my Dad to the movies he just about falls asleep in everyone. But, I figure he has paid enough movie tickets for me, I'm just returning the favor.

16. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

17. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Minddrift from a bad movie? All the time!
    Fall asleep? Well, I live a very busy life, and I will admit that I do get tired spells - and very rarely, they will occur right in the middle of watching a movie. I will admit I did konk out for about five minutes during "Titus" and most recently for about a minute during "Monsoon Wedding" (but I didn't have a long sleep the night before), both of which are great films! I also think sitting close to a screen can do it.
    Fallen asleep intentionally, never have and never will. Like another said, I can do that for free.
    Jason

18. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Michael, was it about the time Jeremy Northam's character went into his 3rd (or 4th, hell, I lost count) song? That whole bit seemed to go on forever. I must say I did enjoy Maggie Smith's comments & insults throughout. [​IMG]

19. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Onet time, the summer before my senior year in High School...I had a meeting to go to regarding an AP Language class. Long story short...I had stayed up 40 hours in a row leading up the the class...and afterwords, a friend and I went to see Episode 1 for the 13'th or 14'th time
    ...best sleep I ever got.
    [​IMG]

20. Benny G

Benny G Second Unit

I dozed off numerous times in the last two movies I've seen on a big screen - Oceans Eleven & Blade 2. That's my own fault, as I keep weird sleeping hours.