Fall of the Roman Empire to be released on April 29

Discussion in 'DVD' started by flagbrothers, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

Thanks very much for the preview.

If you have a computer with a DVD drive I'd love to see some screen captures! It is very easy to do using VLC, just play the movie, then select SNAPSHOT at the bottom of the VIDEO menu.

VLC media player - Overview

2. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    Thanks for the response Harold. I'm thinking Brent is correct and based on his breakdown of the features that there will be no three disc version of this. What is left to put on the third disc? I think all of the features mentioned in relation to this title that would be on the discs are listed spaced across two discs. The only reason I've held back from buying this is the mysterious third disc (cue the music and we'll do a The Third Man parody here) and my fruitless search to discover if it exists and what may be on it. I'm Joseph Cotton and you're not.

3. AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner Banned

And here's another question for Brent. Does it have the lovely Overture? And what about the famous/infamous "trilemma" scene which is the continuation of the "dilemma" dialogue between an increasingly blotto Livius and Commodus. If this print doesn't have that, I might be cancelling my order. Hail undoubted Caesar!

4. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Simon - I would like to add some screen shots! Problem is, I have too little experience doing it. I downloaded the VLC player and took a few snapshots - it is just getting them attached to my posting. Any ideas?

Adrian - there is an Overture which lasts 35 seconds as well as an Intermission, and Exit music.As for the "trilemma" scene I need to know what to look as I am not familiar with it! Sorry to say Brian, there is no Entre'acte at disc two's beginning. I noticed the Feature " Rome In Madrid" is 22 min. 18 sec. I'll have to watch it later.

I managed to go into the Advanced area and tried downloading two snapshots here - I don't see them yet. I'm obviously doing something ! OK, I see the file size limit is exceeded, slowly getting somewhere. Does the VLC player have the ability to do this?

5. AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner Banned

Dear Brent -- The "Trilemma" scene would be about 30 minutes in from the start. Boyd and Plummer are on a little wooden staircase, both a bit drunk, and Boyd describes a "dilemma." If they run up the stairs and there is an awkward cut to Plummer with a slave girl that is the cut version. If they talk about a "trilemma" that is the version aficionados have been waiting for.

6. Brent Avery

Well Adrian, it appears to be the cut version as they discuss a dilemma and after climbing the stairs as you mentioned - the next scene is Plummer struggling with the slave girl. What have they done? What HAVE they done? ( scene of a growing man crying ). I suppose it remains to find out about the missing footage and what if anything will happen in the future. It would have been nice to include some of them if possible as "deleted scenes".

7. jack phillips

The soundtrack?

8. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

Brent, what ratio is it in, 2.35:1 or wider?

9. Brent Avery

Mark, it appears to be framed at 2:35 and looks fine to me!

10. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

Brent,

regarding the screenshots: You can open them in paint and save them as JPEG instead of bitmap, that should should make them small enough to be posted here or first at imageshack.

Oliver

11. Brent Avery

One of these days I will actually learn how to download some screen shots. Thank you for the suggestions but I basically need to be talked through it! Maybe a pm off site would help. Terribly frustrating not to be able to post any images.

12. john a hunter

john a hunter Supporting Actor

Brent,
    does the overture have some of the brass fanfares on the surround track as in the original 6 track mix ?
    Thanks.

13. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

VLC would've saved them as PNG files. You need to compress them to smaller JPEG files so they can be uploaded.

As OliverK wrote, assuming you are on Windows, just drag them into Paint (Start, Accessories, Paint). If you can't find Paint, try Irfanview which is completely free: IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

Then go file SAVE AS, but change the SAVE AS TYPE to JPEG.

You can get VLC to save images as JPEGs automatically by going SETTINGS, PREFERENCES, clicking on VIDEO at the left then OUTPUT MODULES and IMAGE FILE, then changing PNG to JPEG at the top right corner. See here:

[​IMG]

You can't directly attach the image to a forum post, instead you just need to upload the JPEG files to a free hosting site such as:
    ImageShack® - Image Hosting

That will upload the file, and create a page with a series of links to the image.

Copy the very bottom LINK to the hosting site into a new post. Take that link and paste it between the image tags:

[​IMG]

The IMG tags tell the forum software to load the linked image.

Send me a private message if you want me to go into more detail (including pictures of each step).

14. Brent Avery

John, in regard to the brass instruments during the Overture - they are clear enough for sure but their presence in the surround channels are quite muted. I have the volume for the surround channels set fairly high and it was not very distinct. Still, the score and dialog are clear enough with some lower notes filling in when present but nothing outstanding. No surprises there given the age of the recording.

I have been watching some of the film on my projector and the colors are quite nice, closeups have very good detail for a SD dvd ( I'm becoming spoiled by HD!) whereas medium to long shots are definitely softer, losing a fair amount of detail the further back you go. This is something very common of course with many films projected to a size like a 128" screen at 480 resolution. I am using the Sony PS3 at the moment and hopefully the Toshiba A20 will yield a better picture. Despite this it has good depth and an overall pleasing look, but I have to admit, I do wish it was more defined in the back ground shots. The scene for instance where the Romans first battle the Germanic barbarians had a lot of haze from mist or smoke and purposely had a softer look but was quite good looking overall. And the entire chariot fight between Plummer and Boyd was very good. Unless you are up around a 100" screen size the film does look better - I thought it was great on the 42".

15. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Regarding motion picture audio from the 1950s and 60s...

It could be incredibly full, deep and rich, with brilliant frequency at all areas of the spectrum. Listening to original recordings from that era can be amazing.

16. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    So, Harvey and Bob release the second film in their version of "The Criterion Collection" and already before it even hits the shelves there are a list of very valid issues with this presentation. The biggest (probably) that there are cut scenes and I'm sure that list will grow once more people get their hands on this.

Oh well, I'm going to get the film but certainly just the plain two disc set as it seems this will once again be a set to tide us over until someone does a better job.

So, baseball now being back, I guess the count against them is 0-2.

17. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

With the short time between the El Cid release and the release of Fall I am pretty sure that there were not too many changes possible with regard to the betterment of the picture quality of the transfer, the time was too short to do it all over again.

Keeping this in mind it is best not to set one's hope too high.

Oliver

18. AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner Banned

Thanks Brent for all your splendid work and responses to my queries and those of others. In years gone by I worked at the National Film Theatre in London and unearthed a pristine print of Fall which we ran a couple of times. It had the "trilemma' sequence and was quite possibly the finest 70mm presentation I have ever seen. The quality of the imagery was astonishingly clear and beautiful. That print was last shown at the NFT about 3 years ago and the colour had all but disappeared. At the same time I discovered a 70mm copy of El Cid (in a suburb of London called Heston, would you believe) and the colour on that had gone completely. Thanks again.

19. Brent Avery

I read Robert Harris' thoughts on audio recordings during that era and have to wonder how thrilling it must have been - properly set up listening to it in the theater. I still enjoyed the present recording on this release and will try the volume at a louder level just to hear how it holds up. My current system is definitely capable enough. Perhaps if the original audio still retains it's dynamic range it would be more faithfully reproduced on a Blu ray release. It would be interesting to find out where they sourced this sound track.

Adrian, your recollection of that 70mm print makes me sorry I have never had the opportunity to actually see any of the big Roadshow films during the '60's when I was barely old enough to comprehend any of it! There is the Cinerama theater in Seattle which I should endeavor to visit one day, it is only approx. two hours from where I live. How those original presentations must spoil those of you that have to see a hint of what they once were on most of the releases we see on dvd. Still, there is hope with the Blu ray format and I will buy any decent film that is released. Apparently the Passage To India BD has previews in 1080 of Lawrence Of Arabia, Bridge On The River Kwai,and Passage as part of a David Lean Collection that will be celebrating his 100th birthday. ( posted over at AVS Forum )

20. john a hunter

john a hunter Supporting Actor

I saw that print every time the NFT ran it up to 1980 when I emigrated to Sydney. It was indeed magnificent and I still recall it as the best 70mm I ever have seen.I always thought it was the original Astoria world premiere print as I seem to recall when I saw it there,that just after the persian battle there is a 180 degree pan or so and in the background the walls of a city were out of focus as though it had been printed that way. That shot was in the NFT print.
    If only that print as it used to have looked, could have been used for the transfer!!!