What's new

Fall of the Roman Empire to be released on April 29 (1 Viewer)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I say pre-order it. Just go for the cheaper version if quality is a concern.

Let's think of it this way. If these DVD versions sell well, then maybe in a few years time that will motivate the proper restoration - or preservation - of these films from their negatives. Which will secure them for the future, and facilitate exceptional quality blu-ray versions.

I still think these Miriam versions are worth buying, because Anthony Mann remains a completely under rated director, and these films are among his most important works.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

The extras on El Cid were worth it for me.
Did not bother to watch the movie though, my French version is better.

If you are in it for the movie only and want the best quality even if it means getting a PAL DVD you might wait if not go for it.
I want the extras so I will buy mine without waiting for reviews.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
I recently saw a 20-minute documentary called Rome in Madrid which was narrated by James Mason and contained some truly wonderful footage - notably the construction of the Forum Romanum, costume tests, footage of Bronston in his office, with his wife, and loads of other stuff. Had no idea such a thing existed and I'd bet my best toga that it's part of the bonus material. Look out for the shot of the swords and armour being assembled - in the distance still stands the Forbidden Palace of Peking!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mel Martin, who has done the commentary track with Bill Bronson, has confirmed that the James Mason short will be on the disc as will be some educational films that Bronston allowed to be shot on the forum sets, plus many other extras.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I remember those educational shorts!!! Encyclopaedia Brittanica was the sponsor, and they prominently credited Bronston and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE for providing the footage they used to demonstrate Roman life back in the day.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
AdrianTurner said:
I recently saw a 20-minute documentary called Rome in Madrid which was narrated by James Mason and contained some truly wonderful footage - notably the construction of the Forum Romanum, costume tests, footage of Bronston in his office, with his wife, and loads of other stuff.

There's a copy on youtube but that runs about 10 or 11 minutes max. It's fascinating stuff so let's hope a longer version hits the dvd.
Incidently, there was a similar promo for 55 Days entitled, surprisingly,
" Peking in Madrid"

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
If have tried to find what the added material will be for "Fall...", and other then some general comments, there are no specifics. Other then booklets and lobby cards, does any one know what the extras will be on the third disc in the deluxe set, compared to the two disc release?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I see this listed as a two disc set and a three disc set, is this the case? Amazon lists both versions as two disc so is there a three disc and if so what's on the third disc?

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
I speculate that the two disc version will be like the El Cid two disc version, the movie and a commentary. The three disc version will be the shorts and the documentary, previously referred in this thread.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
For anyone interested, I bought a copy of the 2 disc version where I do my dvd shopping ( independent outfit ),I really was not expecting to see any copies on display, but I am not complaining! It was great to be able to find it earlier than usual. I have the Japanese version as well and although I did not initially do a direct comparison it is no contest based on what I remember - the Miriam release is simply superior - it looks like a real winner. And it is definitely a step up from El Cid in color saturation, detail, sharpness etc. I viewed part of it on my PS3 running to a Toshiba 1080 LCD ( 42" ) just to give a basis for the equipment used. Tomorrow I will check the two versions through a Oppo HD 981 setup as a Region free player - not that I really need to confirm the obvious! And the big test for me will be upscaling it on a Toshiba A20 HD player onto the 128" 2:35 screen ( Epson Pro Cinema 1080 UB pj ). If it is as good as it seems the larger image will only add to the enjoyment. I'm hoping it passes the test with flying colors - it will make a Blue ray version a must.

The back of the dvd case lists the running time as 185 minutes, the film is split over the two discs,with the first disc receiving a Commentary (also continuing with disc 2 ) with Bill Bronston and Mel Martin and the 1964 Promotional film " Rome In Madrid" plus Original Theatrical Trailer, Filmographies and a Stills Gallery. From what I can gather, this will be the same as El Cid, if you need the lobby cards, booklet and deluxe case than the "Limited Collector's Edition" is the way to go. It is almost certain this 2 disc version shares all of the extras put onto the two dvds, meaning both have two discs. Guess we will find out.

The second disc, along with the last half of the film also includes these additional features:

The Rise and Fall of an Epic Production: The Making of the Film
The Rise and Fall of an Empire: An Historical Look at the Real Roman
Empire
Hollywood vs History: An Historical Analysis
Dimitri Tiomkin: Scoring the Roman Empire.

I hope this initial "review" helps some of you who are concerned about the overall video quality - the audio is decent as well (5.1) but until I fire up the pj I will not be able to subjectively say just how good it really is. I will also go over the Special Features. If anyone has something specific they would like me to check please feel free to ask!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Brent,

thanks for your report, it seems these always come out very early. I will try to get hold of a copy, but I will get the three disc set..

Regarding the picture quality: Fall has always looked better than El Cid, both in the Japanese and in the French releases, so I would expect this to be the case with the Weinstein, edition, too. And the French release also has much better picture quality than the Japanese version.
So the question for me is: How does it compare to the French version, the Japanese almost looked like black and white compared to the French release.

I guess that when I get it I will do a few comparison screen caps like I did with El Cid.

Oliver

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks