What's new

F.B.I. from WBA (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm just about done going through S2 (good transfers), and I noticed a funny moment that shows how Quinn Martin would look for ways to save money. In the episode "The Hostage", Edward Mulhare and Diana Hyland are spies from an unnamed East bloc country who kidnap anti-communist self-exile Paul Lukas to try and spirit him back to the homeland. When they realize Hyland, a doctor who is there to monitor Lukas's heart condition, a wanted poster of Hyland is circulated.
Now here's the funny part. I freeze-framed the wanted poster of Hyland with her picture at the top and in the brief glimpse of the info at the bottom, realized this was a recycled Richard Kimble Wanted poster from "The Fugitive" because in distinct type it said this East European woman was born in Stafford, Indiana and is six feet tall (which Hyland most assuredly wasn't, but that's what it said about Kimble!)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Sweet, thanks for the heads up Guy. Just placed my order too. Now, if I could only find this price for the 1st season

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, at least it's finally available at a reasonable price.

Gary "got mine for even cheaper via a pricing mistake at B/N" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Well, at least it's final available at a reasonable price.
Gary "got mine for even cheaper via a pricing mistake at B/N" O.
rlx0d0.jpg
on that Gary :). I got the same deal. Nice to buy a WBA TV/DVD set in the price range where all of us (well almost all of us ;)) admit what we've been paying for typical TV/DVD sets for the past several years.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Now if only Paramount would do the same for Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Have Gun Will Travel, Rawhide and many others with their premium priced split season sets. After all if Warners can release Maverick in a complete retail season set for a list price of $39.99, then Paramount can surely release their westerns in a complete season for a list price of $39.99 or $49.99 (depending on the number of discs). Then maybe I would consider buying more seasons of Have Gun Will Travel and Rawhide.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Korstick /t/309795/f-b-i-from-wba/150#post_3913657
Now if only Paramount would do the same for Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Have Gun Will Travel, Rawhide and many others with their premium priced split season sets. After all if Warners can release Maverick in a complete retail season set for a list price of $39.99, then Paramount can surely release their westerns in a complete season for a list price of $39.99 or $49.99 (depending on the number of discs). Then maybe I would consider buying more seasons of Have Gun Will Travel and Rawhide.
Fortunately, since those are retail pressed disc releases they can always eventually be found at great discounted prices (usually 50% or more fairly soon after release), so it's never deterred me from purchasing any of them.

Gary "just happy for the low prices" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
     Quote:
Fortunately, since those are retail pressed disc releases they can always eventually be found at great discounted prices (usually 50% or more fairly soon after release), so it's never deterred me from purchasing any of them.  :)
Gary "just happy for the low prices" O.
But they would be much lower for the full season if it was one set like Maverick. For something like Gunsmoke or Bonanza where they have been restored and look excellent the higher price can be somewhat justified but for other unrestored shows like Have Gun Will Travel and Rawhide for two sets even at 50% off makes it $39.99 for season too much for something of barely average quality. If they were $49.99 for the season set and you could buy the season for $25.00 it would be worth it.
And by the way the less than 50% price for FBI season two is fairly soon after its release and its not a retail release so another bad mark for Paramount.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Korstick /t/309795/f-b-i-from-wba/150#post_3913665
And by the way the less than 50% price for FBI season two is fairly soon after its release and its not a retail release so another bad mark for Paramount.
That's obviously a pricing glitch/mistake. We all know the WBA doesn't discount their material that much - E-V-E-R. So it's a moot point in my book. And that's all I'll say, so feel free to have the last word.

Gary "I'm fine with paying $40 a season, maybe a tad more, for a series I like - I'm just not keen on paying $70, $80, or more (WBA prices on some shows)" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I don't have any regrets for paying full price for a show that is a Grail title for me when it comes out. Yes, I would have saved a bundle if I'd waited to hear of this, but I would have denied myself the viewing enjoyment I've had the last two months and sometimes the intangible of being able to enjoy something you've waited a while for right away can more than outweigh the savings factor from a much later date that you can't predict.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Weird how the WB site has The FBI Season 2 in the Movies & TV section, not the Archive section.

Will Green

Grip
Real Name
Will
Thanks, Guy. Even if it means dealing with the dreaded Best Buy, it's a heck of a deal (though obviously a pricing mistake, as Gary noted).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P /t/309795/f-b-i-from-wba/150#post_3913684
I don't have any regrets for paying full price for a show that is a Grail title for me when it comes out. Yes, I would have saved a bundle if I'd waited to hear of this, but I would have denied myself the viewing enjoyment I've had the last two months and sometimes the intangible of being able to enjoy something you've waited a while for right away can more than outweigh the savings factor from a much later date that you can't predict.
I can appreciate and understand that sentiment, Jack. No disagreement from me on that one.

Gary "take care" O.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
jim_falconer said:
Sweet, thanks for the heads up Guy.  Just placed my order too.  Now, if I could only find this price for the 1st season   :)
Ebay's the way...for season 1 part 1.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Although their site said both volumes were "on backorder" when I placed my order a few days ago - they just arrived today.
It also appears that the online price still hasn't changed either

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Been saving the two part "The Executioners" up until now with Walter Pidgeon and Telly Savalas, and when I started Part 1, I got a pleasant surprise. For the first time, the original ABC "Next The FBI in Color" promo was left in, and also left in was the complete opening with the "Ford Motor Company presents" part that is always snipped (and thus truncates the theme just a bit, which will become more evident starting in S3). While it would have been nice to have seen this left intact on all episodes, it was nice to see it on one episode for a reminder of what it was like.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And an even bigger surprise in Part 2 of "The Executioners". Not only is the "In Color" and the "Ford Motor Company Presents" part of the opening left in, so is a promo of Zimbalist at episode's end mentioning that "The FBI" will be pre-empted the following week for the network TV debut of "The Robe." A very nice item!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks