What's new

External Firewire DVD-RW (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Any good suggestions on an External DVD-RW? I would prefer Firewire capability (so I don't have to buy a USB hub). The last time I checked 4 speed was the fastest. I will mainly use it on my PC, but Mac compatibility would be helpful (although I assume all firewire burners are cross platform).

I use a SONY 4X (SONY DRX510UL) at work and I haven't had too many issues (except for an incompatibility with Easy CD Creator that was solved through an update) and a co-worker had some issues with burning, but that might have been related to the software she used.

Any suggestions? Any models to avoid? I see IOMEGA makes a DVD-RW Predator, but my experiences with the CD burners (both USB and Firewire) were absolutely hideous - I ended up throwing the damn thing across the room because it made more coasters than Khan Imports :D sorry, little joke there.

I did see this burner through Circuit City - TDK DED440BXN

I guess the only other preference would be a flat top to the case. With limited desk space, I would need to stack the burner between my firewire drive and my DSL modem since the modem has a rounded top and I couldn't stack the burner on top - nor would I want a rounded burner to stack the DSL modem on top of either.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
A firewire drive is going to run you ~$300. Instead, you can buy an IDE drive and buy a firewire enclosure case - total cost should be around $200.

I have the NEC-ND1300A, which I really like - haven't had any problems with it. You can now get this drive for $125 from Live Warehouse (they are reputable). The firewire enclosure can be had for $50, and throw in shipping, and you should be right at $200.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
8x drives are around the corner, if speed is an issue.

Otherwise, because of all the ongoing developments, it is generally better to get a drive from an actual manufacturer, as firmware support is important.

Often times, the drive is by somebody else, but the firmware support usually is by the company that has its name on the drive, which might not be as good as from the actual manufacturer.

From my personal experience, the Sony drive is good, as are the Pioneer ones. The NEC drive mentioned reportedly had some issues on earlier revisions, so make sure you get a current one, should you go for that one.

-Christian

Steven K

Supporting Actor
The Sony and Pioneer drives are good - no arguing that. The NEC drive is on the same level, in my opinion, but it needs a firmware update to be on that level. Firmware 1.05 has trouble burning cheap media (ie, 1x Princos, etc...) Firmware 1.06 fixes this, but it has the potential to ruin your drive during the flashing process. Firmware 1.07 is very stable, will not ruin your drive, and fixes the cheap media problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks