What's new

External Amp for DIY Tempest (1 Viewer)

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Hmmm. Double check that the line from the Yamaha to your sub amp is the LFE line and not something else. Its possible that what your getting is just how the Yamaha was designed. 90 Hz is a tad high, and if the slope of the low pass filter is shallow- could have excessive mid bass getting there.

You have the option of trying to use the subamp gizmos to filter the signal. Put the treble all the way to the left and the bass all the way to the right. The "loudness" button may boost the deep bass at the expense of the higher stuff. The inline low pass filter mentioned above is a good idea. Finally, replaceing the receiver with one that crossover in the 60-80 range with a steep slope will take care of the problem.

Theon

Agent
Well, it's not so much a problem as a surprise. As minhG
noted with his sub, the higher frequencies are very faint. Anyway, I am really satisfied with my sub and may get around to finishing the outside of it one day. Thanks everyone for all your help (esp. Brian Fellmeth).

For everyone considering DIY, if you have the space there is no reason why you shouldn't try your hand at it. My DIY Tempest cost me approx. $400 CAD, since I used an old stereo amp to power it (which is working just fine). With a support team here you can't go wrong! DIY is especially a good option for us Canadians who don't have the range of choices that those in the US have.

Dan Magnin

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using a NAD 2200 power envelope stereo amp that is in bridge mode which kicks out more power than you are used to , but it's always a good idea to have extra headroom available when its called for. Do a search on ebay for one of these amps and you'll be able to read more on product description on their incredible power reserves. I have it mated with a tempest and have never had it clip. Good luck with your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks