What's new

(exterior) door threshold weatherstriping (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Howdy, the home improvement HTF folks. (you know who you are)... Got another home question...

I recently installed some authentic catskill quarried bluestone in my foyer area of my hallway (big renovation project going on!) and because it's a bit taller than my carpet, I have removed the vinyl runner that was installed underneath my door (seems like the door was built for it because the runner was stapled to the door and actually fit into the slots that run the length of the underside, unlike most aftermarket runners I've seen at Lowes which are made to simply pancake the door between the edges and is installed by simply sliding the edges on the outside of the door's exterior. Anyway, because the runner would scrape alone the stone I bought, I took the door off and removed it. Now I have perhaps 1/3-1/2" gap between the threshold and the door's bottom. I'd rather have the weatherstrip on the threshold anyway.

However, removing the threshold looks to be a serious task as I see no way of removing it without removing the entire trim and door frame. No visible screws or staples on the aluminum threshold and there is a piece of wood in the front that has screws in it that are stuck. Either way, removing it seems too much of a hassle. Do they make some kind of vinyl strip that I could either screw into the aluminum to act as a weatherstrip or perhaps glue there?

I bought a wood threshold with a vinyl bumper on it but I might return it and see if I can just buy the vinly part and then figure out how to attach it to the preexisting threshold there... Suggestions?

Jay

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Chances are you don't live in Kansas City, but here we have a store that carries just about every conceivable door sweep that you could find. All my doors have sweeps that slide into a groove in the bottom of the door. Eventually they wear out. I just take the old one out and go to the local store and they can find what I need.

Here is a link to their web page with door sweeps.

http://www.allaboutdoors.com/index.p...5f86aa9acf56f3

Good luck,
Mike

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hi Mike, nope, not in Kansas, but I can't use a door sweep because it would hit/rub against the stone that I layed down. It was the reason I removed the door sweep that was on my door in the first place. I removed the carpet and installed a piece of stone and the carpet was too tall already for me to lay down a floor mat so my carpet was all dirty.

I was able to find a door threshold by Frost King that is simply an thin 36" aluminum rod with a cutout on the top with a 36" vinyl bumper on it. You cut the vinyl and aluminum to size with a hacksaw and simply screw it into the space between the existing threshold and the door bottom. In this way the weatherstrip is on the door frame and not the door and wont interfere with my tall piece of stone. When I installed it, the vinyl was too high and I wound up cutting the vinyl so that it was much shorter but it works good and without the door sweep, it clears the stone that I put down.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks