Extended Warranties? Yes or No?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Shane Bryant, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Shane Bryant

Shane Bryant Agent

I just bought the sony 50" wega lcd projection tv from the sony store... got a great deal $3199 Canadian (regular $4000 up here).

Should I get the extended warranty? I've had one on my past purchases, however those were smaller purchases, and smaller warranty prices.

The warranty on this TV is $500 Canadian, includes in home service.

What is everyone's thoughts on extended warranties?

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I guess it depends on how long the warranty is for. I bought an extended warranty for my 65" Toshiba and it paid for itself when the main board went in year four.

3. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I always get the extended warranty, but last year I decided to pass on the warranty for the 27" TV we got. Well a few weeks ago a processor inside the tv failed and it only displays B&W. Took it back to Circuit City and it would of cost $180 to fix. If I had gotten the extended warranty for $40 there would of been no charge. I guess I live and learn.

Paul

4. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

Does the Sony stores warranty include the bulb? If so, then definately. If it doesn't, then I still think it's a good idea on a big ticket like that, but that's just me.

That is a smokin price on that TV.. was it brand new or a customer return/demo?

5. Shane Bryant

Shane Bryant Agent

I think I'm going to go for the warranty... its $500 for 5 years including in home service... its a brand new unit. another store was having a sale.. 10% off all tvs. They also offered a $400 gift card with that tv... i doubt you could combine the two offers, but i was still able to get sony to match it... after a bit of haggling

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Generally they are a ripoff, but on a huge item like a projection TV that can't easily be returned to the store, if in-home service is included it could be worth it. But I've never seen a TV fail within the extended warranty period.

7. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    My Sony XBR400 gave out after two years (D board). Due to the fact that they could not put the TV back in it's pristine condition, they were forced to give me a new XBR800 for free, due to the extended warranty agreement.

In that case, definitely worth it.