What's new

Extended Mode for 5.1 movies? (1 Viewer)

Corey Becker

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey Becker
Hello, I have a Pioneer VSX 1015 THX reciever with 7.1 speakers. My reciever has an option to turn the extended mode off for watching 5.1 movies so the rear speakers will be inactive. The manual claims many movies might actually sound better this way because they were inteded to be 5.1. I do notice sometimes when watching movies there isnt a ton of sound coming from the side or rear speakers unless its an action / adventure movie. Any thoughts on if its better to watch a 5.1 movie in 5.1 or 7.1? Thank you!

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
I use Video Essentials and the Radio Shack SPL Meter to set my 5.1 setup speaker levels. Maybe its a personal preference thing, but I find I enjoy movies more when I turn the surround speakers (5.1 setup) up a click or two above what they're supposed to be set at. I love being surrounded by the sounds of a movie!

Pete

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Personal prefference really. What do you prefer? I recommend that you try different settings and, like Bepaof8 suggested, try different levels with your rear and side speakers. I know my old 6.1 setup I had the center +3db and rears +3db above what my SPL Meter and VE suggested as I prefered to have voices a little louder (not lost in the music) and to hear the surround sound effects a little better. Can't wait to install my new 7.1 setup this weekend for hours of calibration :)

How the sound engineer programed the original sound track was their preference, not mine and shouldn't necessarily be yours!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Try it both ways and stick with the one that sounds best to you. IMO, it may depend on the movie in question, so it will vary from movie to movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks