Experience with J&R Music World

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JoshMa, Jul 31, 2005.

1. JoshMa

JoshMa Auditioning

I recently ordered a Harman Kardon AVR-635 from J&R music world online. My order just arrived Friday. It came out of the box looking like someone took a hammer to it. I promptly notified customer service and received a RA#. She said that they would schedule a UPS pick up that should occur no later than Tuesday. Does anyone else have any experience returning/exchanging merchandise with J&R that they would share? I'm just trying to determine what I'm in for, and how long this is going to take. Thanks for any help.

2. Mitch G

Mitch G Agent

I bought an MP3 player from them which subsequently failed a couple of weeks later. They no longer carried the model I had bought so they gave me one that was a bit more expensive in exchange.
    Overall, it was a good experience, all things considered.

So, I wouldn't freak out - yet.

Mitch

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    I've ordered small things from them (e.g. CDs, DVDs) many times and found them quite good to deal with.

4. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I ordered a HK 435, the box was in decent shape, a bit "rounded" on the edges, but the box that actually held the 435 was in great shape. The unit has worked perfectly since I have received it.

FYI, if the box looked like a hammer had been taken to it I guarantee it was UPS's fault of throwing it and not J&R.

5. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

J&R is a first rate company to deal with. You'll have no problems.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I actually go to the store often and I purchased one of those DVI to HDMI cables adapters and when I learned that it would work because of HDCP issues with the Zenith DVD player, I returned it for Die Hard Trilogy Box set and no questions were asked. I'm happy with their service.

7. JoshMa

JoshMa Auditioning

Thanks for the responses everybody. It wasn't the box that looked like it had been worked over by a hammer, it was the actual receiver. I was a little dismayed to find that J&R shipped a piece of electronics that heavy, in such a flimsy outer box that contained only a bag of air on one side for protection.

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

J&R has very good customer service.

The quality of their double boxing leaves a good bit to be desired. As Josh said, they now (at least for receivers) simply put a very hastily inflated (if at all) clear plastic bag of air under the manufacturers box. The outer box is just adequate.

The sloppy bag of air does next to nothing. This is a clear decline from their double boxing from perhaps, 5 years ago, when they might have been using plastic peanuts.

I have never received anything where the unit itself was beat up, but they will make good. Unless the manufacturers box was messed up, they would have no way to know the unit was messed up.

Buyers expect sealed manufacturers boxes, so they can't open every box to see if the unit is ok.

9. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Heh, I bought my 635 from them, too!

Arrived quickly and unharmed.

I am literally listening to it as I type!

10. JoshMa

JoshMa Auditioning

Thanks for rubbing it in Kenneth. [​IMG]

11. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

[​IMG]

He he he...