What's new

EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time September/October 2014 Releases (1 Viewer)

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
The Osbournes loved Pat Boone as a neighbor, it was whoever moved in after he left, they couldn't stand. So happy for a legitimate widescreen APRIL LOVE. Immediate buy, for me. Now let's get STAR! with PCM audio and the proper color!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
JoeDoakes said:
Centennial Summer was based on a 1943 novel by Albert Idell. The most common legal complication for films based on other works stems from the case of Stuart v. Abend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_v._Abend), where the issue is whether the owner of the film has the rights to distribute it where someone else owns the rights upon which it was based. I would have thought that Fox would not have licensed this film to Twilight Time if there was this common of an issue with it, but perhaps not. On the other hand, perhaps there's some odd isssue with the music or something.
The issues were not music-related. Which is why Kritzerland has just announced the first-ever world premiere release of the score and all of Alfred Newman's brilliant underscore, which was nominated for an Oscar for Best Score. Seventy-eight minutes of musical bliss. It's moving very quickly - so if you're interested don't wait too long.

http://kritzerland.com/cent_summer.htm

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
haineshisway said:
The issues were not music-related. Which is why Kritzerland has just announced the first-ever world premiere release of the score and all of Alfred Newman's brilliant underscore, which was nominated for an Oscar for Best Score. Seventy-eight minutes of musical bliss. It's moving very quickly - so if you're interested don't wait too long.

http://kritzerland.com/cent_summer.htm
Thanks for the heads up on this title. I just pulled the trigger. I was fortunate to purchase Laura before it sold out.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I was also going to announce this soundtrack this morning, Bruce, but you must have been "up with the lark". Very good news indeed!!!

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Glad to see finally no must-haves because TT has been killing my wallet and it needs a break.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Interesting comments on that thread. TT's Driver is actually missing one scene. Didn't know that.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Jari K said:
Interesting comments on that thread. TT's Driver is actually missing one scene. Didn't know that.
What exactly are you talking about? Really, link to the comment you're referencing so we can have at it.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Oh, I have to chime in. What Twilight Time released in 2013 was the 4K restoration of The Driver, the version that was released theatrically in a country called the United States of America, directed by Walter Hill.

Studio Canal is not billing their disc as the "uncut" version - whether it's longer by a minute or so, or isn't has nothing to do with Fox, who made the film, or its original US cut, which is what is on the Twilight Time disc. If Studio Canal does indeed have an extra minute is not known to me and if there was some extension of some scene that's in their master that has nothing to do with what was originally released. There are occasionally differences between countries' releases, but Twilight Time put out the Fox transfer - you know, Fox, who made the film.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Heres what IMDB says about The Driver.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077474/alternateversions

I wonder if that longer version will ever find it's way onto blu ray, it surely had the directors approval.

At Los Angeles's American Cinemateque, a 131 minute version of "The Driver" was shown. While it does add insights to some characters in the story, this longer version features many more car chases.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I thought Walter Hill himself debunked that as 'urban legend' several years ago???

I mean the director of this film personally signed copies of TT's Blu-ray...you'd think that means it represents his preferred form for it.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
ROclockCK said:
It thought Walter Hill himself debunked that 'urban legend' several years ago???
Dunno. IMDB has been known to be wrong before since it relies on readers for it's information.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
That alleged 131 minute version of The Driver is a 40 minutes longer than the TT cut and 38 minutes longer than the SC cut.

This is from the trivia section of the movie in IMDb

Although the rough cut was over two hours long and included one additional action (but not chase) scene, and even though for years even the VHS tapes had said the length was over two hours, Walter Hill has denied that this version was ever his intended cut and categorically stated that the existence of a longer director's cut is an urban myth. the US DVD includes an introductory sequence that the studio forced Hill to shoot to clarify who the characters are as a deleted scene, but this was dropped from all theatrical prints.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bruceames said:
That alleged 131 minute version of The Driver is a 40 minutes longer than the TT cut and 38 minutes longer than the SC cut.

This is from the trivia section of the movie in IMDb

Although the rough cut was over two hours long and included one additional action (but not chase) scene, and even though for years even the VHS tapes had said the length was over two hours, Walter Hill has denied that this version was ever his intended cut and categorically stated that the existence of a longer director's cut is an urban myth. the US DVD includes an introductory sequence that the studio forced Hill to shoot to clarify who the characters are as a deleted scene, but this was dropped from all theatrical prints.
So i guess my lesson for today is that i shouldn't trust everything i read at IMDB.

I still wish we could get the original theatrical cut of The Warriors on blu ray.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
FoxyMulder said:
So i guess my lesson for today is that i shouldn't trust everything i read at IMDB.

I still wish we could get the original theatrical cut of The Warriors on blu ray.
Well the part I quoted was from IMDb as well. ;)

Anyway there's still a 2 minute (or maybe a little less) scene inserted into the Studio Canal cut, and the mystery still remains as to how it got there.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
It's a 2 minute pre-credit prologue that is used to introduce some of the characters seen later. The only information I can find regarding it is that it was added for when the film was shown on TV, perhaps to make the plot easier to follow? Until it's confirmed otherwise, I'm quite certain the version on the TT disc is both the original theatrical cut and the director's preferred cut.

edit:

Ah, maybe not. Apparently it is this scene, that comes about halfway through the film:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=655156

Who knows then...

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Perhaps we already do have Walter Hill's thoughts on this*. Did anyone catch the following exchange in the comments section of caps-a-holic?
Maggi M
July 20th 2014 06:01:46 PM
It was 91 min when it premiered...so "your" film have been shortened for that robbery in price version from TT

Walter Hill
July 20th 2014 11:27:32 AMThat's like referring to that silly network tv cut of Halloween as the "uncut" version

Walter Hill
July 20th 2014 11:24:29 AMSeeing as the TT blu-ray is my original theatrical version and the additional prologue/whatever else on the Studio Canal editions are just "filler" scenes that were added into some tv airings, I'm not bothered by their omission on the US blu.
* assuming that really is the director speaking, and not some kind of elaborate spoof. Reads as legit though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks