EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time September/October 2014 Releases

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    Might have to add Centennial Summer (1946) to my list as well.

Still hoping for Skatetown USA (1979) "The Greatest Story Ever Rolled"

ahollis likes this.
  2. PatrickDA

PatrickDA Stunt Coordinator

"Under Fire" and "Salvador" are two of the best films about journalism ever made! Great acting, writing, and Goldsmith's score on "UF" is one of his best. James Woods has never matched his Oscar-nominated performance in "Salvador."

Track down Pauline Kael's review of "Under Fire"...one of her best!

3. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    The folks at Twilight Time have very eclectic tastes. If all they were concerned about was selling out they would not be releasing titles such as Resurrected, which as far as I can tell was never released in the United States.

Bryan^H and Twilight Time like this.
  4. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    Oh I agree Richard, which is basically why I took to this label almost immediately...my similarly "eclectic tastes". I mean, TT's first 4 Blu-rays were an ancient Egypt 'Scope epic, a Jules Verne animated fantasy, a modern cult horror comedy, and a black and white Euro art film...you can't get much more diverse than that!

My comment was only in reference to the expected rate of sellout...as well as a previous poster's perceived shift in product to more recent pop-oriented titles likelier to sell out faster. As you noted though, the same month TT has released The Mechanic and The Train they're also releasing Resurrected, Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison, and The Man From Laramie. So that funky mix of new and old, mainstream and obscure, is still there.

I simply regard it as luck of the draw that 'TT Goes to War' happened to include a higher than usual number of underappreciated 80s films. ;)

5. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    My post wasn't intended to be critical of your comment. My intent was to add to what you said, as I agree with you entirely!

ROclockCK likes this.
  6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I'll be getting most of the titles listed-A lot of good stuff there.
    Isolated scores are going to be great with these, and I hope Twilight Time continues with the audio commentary on at least a few titles. It is a feature that is sorely missed on most Blu-Ray releases these days.

7. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    "Centennial Summer" is certainly a delightful, unexpected surprise. I may buy 2 copies. Its an adorable film.

centennial_medium.jpg
    CentennialSummer.jpg
    darnell-wilde-centennial_opt.jpg
    crain-makeup-centennial.jpg

Matt Hough likes this.
  8. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, right now of all the announced upcoming releases over the next three or four months, it's the one I'm most looking forward to. My memory of it is so vague as to be absolutely useless, so August can't come soon enough for me.

9. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    Re: The Blob 1988: Big mystery to me. I was 25 when it came out, very disappointing, typical modern remake that tries to be more graphic than the original. It was a huge flop, bringing in less than $10mil on a budget of almost $20mil. Review were mixed at best, but it played incessantly on HBO etc after its theatrical run. Big shrug from me., just my opinion.

10. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    We of a certain age have issues with movies we saw a long time ago. Just like Matt, my memory of Centennial Summer is vague, but I do know I saw a Technicolor print of it. I'll just have to sigh over what was lost, and feel like Proust remembering times past while biting into his madeleine.

AnthonyClarke likes this.
  11. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Maybe a November/December release. If not, we still have The Bubble, Dragonfly Squadron and 3D Rarities later this year.

12. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Somebody uploaded "Centennial Summer" on the 'Tube a while ago - from one of its airings on AMC. This title was probably amongst those which had their original colour elements junked by Fox in the 1970's, but I'm expecting great things from TT.

Very disappointing that only a handful of us here on the forum seem to be excited for this title, which I believe has been quite scarce to find on home video up until now.

13. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    This is one of my favourite songs in the film, "Up with the Lark". You can see Fox's nods to "Meet Me in St Louis" in this sequence especially.

14. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    I've often wondered ... was Madeleine Proust's girlfriend?

bujaki likes this.
  15. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I noticed some of the score from "Under Fire" in Tarantino's "Django Unchained"
    'Nicaragua' from Jerry Goldsmith:

I think Tatrantino's "borrowed soundtracks" are pretty neat :)

16. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Only Within a Budding Grove, Anthony, and only there.
    Way OT by now.
    So, yes, any movie with a score by Jerome Kern is worth owning; and one that was shot in sumptuous Technicolor, though the original 3-strip elements are missing, will still allow enough of the original beauty to shine through. And Jeanne Crain and Linda Darnell in color? What else could you wish for?

17. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

The CHE poster displayed in post #1 is from Steven Soderbergh's modern epic, not the older Fox production that Twilight Time is putting out.

18. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Just heard that Twilight Time is going to have to postpone Centennial Summer due to rights issues. So sad about that. I was really looking forward to it.

19. Twilight Time

Twilight Time Insider
    Insider

Twilight Time
    Twilight Time regrets to announce that our planned August 12th release of the Jerome Kern classic musical CENTENNIAL SUMMER on blu-ray has been indefinitely postponed. This is due to ongoing and unresolved rights issues that prevent the film from being made available to home video at this time. It is hoped that one day in the not too distant future this situation will be rectified, but in the meantime we will adjust and revise our schedule accordingly. Along with many of you we are disappointed that the wait for this long out-of-print film will continue for that bit longer....

20. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Thanks for reporting your announcement in this thread. I just found it in the July/August Twilight Time thread which had flopped onto the following page of forum posts.

Fingers crossed for a quick resolution of these problems.