EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time September/October 2014 Releases

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    What's so great about it, this is an honest question?

Bryan^H likes this.
  2. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    Yeah, I wondered when someone would get around to mentioning that Allen. Noon Wine is easily amongst the rarest home video scoops of the year! I don't think it has ever been available (legally) on home video, even VHS.

Although I vaguely remember the original ABC Stage 67 broadcast, we didn't have a colour set in those days, so this might as well be a new movie for me. TT is definitely staking their claim as the Peckinpah completist label. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Adam Gregorich, ahollis and SAhmed like this.
  3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think we were posting at the same basic time so you might have missed my post (though you couldn't be blamed for looking for a better answer than what I gave) but I said that

Neil Middlemiss likes this.
  4. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    Brad here. For us:

Audrey Rose (1977): I've read the book but never saw the movie. Was going to put that one into the Favourite 70s thread but no need to now.

La Bamba (1987): Goes nicely with Buddy Holly Story.

The Blob (1988): something tells me this one sells out fast even at 5000 unit print run.

==========
    But no Skatetown USA or Thank God It's Friday???

Drat, drat and it's double drat.

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I remember seeing The Blob 88 in the theaters and loving it. It will be fun to revisit on Blu.

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The kids that see the horror movie are a near duplicate of me at that time and age.

7. John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910 Supporting Actor

John Maher
    I was hoping for another 3D from the 50s.

8. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Good news regarding The Blob. It seems that TT has listened the fans, which is always a good sign.

9. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    Absolutely nothing here that I'd even be remotely interested in. Had hoped for at least one of the the available widescreen 50's-60's adventure or historical films. Guess that only companies like Sidonis in France will be offering those. Still, Sidonis already sold out of the pre-orders for KINGS OF THE SUN which may give the "powers that be" pause. I just love the JANE EYRE that TT released some time ago, but they seem to be abandoning the classic film lovers these days. Too bad since there are so many we're hungry for. It may surprise them how well a film like THE VIKINGS might do.

10. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I had no idea that the remake was that popular.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Neither did I.

atfree likes this.
  12. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

It's clever and fun, a terrific companion to the original, working as an '80's version with fantastic practical effects and a sharp script from Chuck Russell and a post-NIGHMARE ON ELM STREET III, pre-SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION Frank Darabont, both of whom realize how goofy the concept is but treat it seriously. There are a couple of really solid FX action set-pieces that make the most out of the Blob's attacks and it's genuinely creepy in parts. I watched it on cable about a year ago and was surprised how well it held up, save for Kevin Dillon's and Donovan Leitch's mullet haircuts.

13. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    I assume that as TT haven't sold out of a blu-ray title recently they are tuning their releases to those titles and decades which they feel are more popular.

14. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Centennial Summer is a no brainer but that's it.

I may cough up for Noon Wine but I'll never watch the hideous Killer Elite ever again and I hate paying $30 for an "extra" but .....

15. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    ??? Twilight Time has had 3 sellouts in as many weeks Keith...one apiece from the '60s, '70s, and '80s.

If you're referring to the golden era '40s and '50s, then no, nothing has recently sold out. TT just seems to be spreading it around across the decades more now, although this Fall announcement is heavily 80s-biased*.

* 6 out of the 10.

BPullen likes this.
  16. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Supporting Actor

Edmund Lachmann
    As Finley Currie said to Heston in BEN-HUR, "Judah, I have lived too long."

Adam Gregorich likes this.
  17. atfree

atfree Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alex
    Man Hunt!

18. JoelA

JoelA Screenwriter

Joel Arndt
    Great news! I'm on board for Jerome Kern's Centennial Summer (1946). Some gorgeous music in this one. It's a good sign that this is being released through TT as the print should be in good shape.

ahollis likes this.
  19. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    UNDER FIRE! Thanks, people! For anyone who is not familiar with this extraordinary film, I encourage you to research it. Amazing performances by Nick Nolte (at his best), Joanna Cassidy, Gene Hackman and Ed Harris. This is about three journalists in Nicaragua covering the downfall of the Somoza regime circa 1979. It's loaded with tension (political, as the reporters begin learning unpleasant truths and start to take sides, which puts them in grave danger) and emotional (the three main characters are in a love triangle) and has one of the best of Jerry Goldsmith's 1980's scores, which I assume will be isolated. Check it out!

DOGS OF WAR! One of the best films about mercenaries I've ever seen. Christopher Walken in all of his quirky glory, and a funny supporting role for Colin (Watson in The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes) Blakely. John Irvin directed, but it might as well have been John Milius -- the final third of this film is just as macho as it gets, but really well-staged. Hope TT has the 114-minute (rather than 102m) cut.

There are always at least three titles I purchase from every two-month announcement, and this will be no exception.

20. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    DOGS OF WAR is one of my favourites. I never saw it theatrically but I've watched the DVD numerous times and it could ceratinly do with an HD upgrade. The UK DVD is about 104 minutes (converting PAL difference). i didn't realise before but I now see that the R1 DVD has the longer cut, which doesn't make much sense because the long version was shown theatrically in the UK and the US had the cut version!