What's new

EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time July/August Titles (1 Viewer)

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Bryan^H said:
Not to get burned at the stake talking ill of Woody Allen in a forum for people that love movies, but seriously what is the appeal? I've watched enough of his work trying to force myself into liking his films(I thought Radio Days was pretty good) but I just don't get it. I hated 'Annie Hall'.
What's the point of asking it? You don't get him, let it go. Nobody is forced to like what other people like. Besides, each person might enjoy his work for different reasons.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Cremildo said:
What's the point of asking it? You don't get him, let it go. Nobody is forced to like what other people like. Besides, each person might enjoy his work for different reasons.
The same point as asking any question. He's looking for guidance and insight as to what makes his films so special, from someone willing to provide it. I had the same question about Citizen Kane, until I listened to the Ebert commentary. Greatness can be staring you right in the face but you miss it because you don't know where or how to look.

I don't know what the fuss is myself (and I have a bias against anything New York, which doesn't help), but I bough Crimes and Misdemeanors anyway, and got the signed The Front. So I really want to appreciate his work as much as I can.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Cremildo said:
You're right.
I will just go with my impression that he makes really bad movies. Severely neurotic talk fests, that don't amount to a hill of beans in the end.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Regarding Woody's appeal, this is just so subjective. Something that makes a lot of people fall down laughing uncontrollably will make other people roll their eyeballs.

Beyond that, the man can write. There is Jewish humor that might pass over a lot of us, but there is also a lot of insight into what makes people neurotic and awkward in our society. Further, the man can write for women. He is one of the best writers of female characters out there, and most any actress who has worked for him would tell you that. He has evolved from an erratic but often brilliant purveyor of nutty, slapstick humor into an erratic but often brilliant writer of modern relationships, often with humor but sometimes not. His films are not all good. Some are pretty awful. But Allen turns out a movie a year and perhaps one in three of them is a real gem, and another is at least entertaining. How many writer-directors with forty-five films in his resume could say that?

There are almost no pretense or bombastic sound and image in his films. His opening and closing credits almost invariably occur as white text black background. He uses (sometimes redundantly) jazz and classic music rather than overblown, wall-to-wall orchestral scores. His directors of photography know he wants simple camera setups and he hold shots of the actors longer than most directors, allowing their performances (rather than a lot of quick cuts and jerky camerawork) to shine.

There are maybe fifteen movies of Allen's I do not care for and will not own, but the other thirty already are or will eventually be in my collection on Blu-ray.

As for the nay-sayers, maybe you really like Michael Bay movies...? :)

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Yorkshire said:
I'm a big (for which read HUGE!) Buddy Holly fan.

In Buddy Holly/Crickets circles The Buddy Holly Story is generally seen as a complete joke, it is so inaccurate.

For me, I understand that 'based on a true story' is a fairly elastic term, and that films don't necessarily need to be historically accurate to good.

In addition, so much of Buddy's life is still shrouded in a little uncertainty to this day, and new facts/rumours emerge over time, they really couldn't have made a film when they did which was still seen as 100% kosher today.

Busey is great, and the reproduction of the music is extremely good.

Steve W
That's ultimately the hook for me Steve...music and performance.

I agree with you though, they made that movie at the wrong time with the wrong approach. Screen Bios can still work despite liberties taken with the source (e.g. Saving Mr. Banks, The Eddie Duchin Story etc.), but I think it's a pointless exercise whenever controversies still exist that haven't at least been reasonably addressed (e.g. The Fifth Estate, The Iron Lady, plus numerous others).

I love bio in print, but always approach screen adaptations with extreme wariness.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, it's the music performances and Busey's amazing take on the Holly persona which make 'The Buddy Holly Story' a must-have. I've seen Paul McCartney's doco on the real BH and read a lot of material, but that doesn't take away from the essential strengths of the story -- any more than the niceness of Jimmy Stewart doesn't destory his take on the often downright ornery Glenn Miller!
But to make a point again .. I just hope that Twilight Time doesn't get suckered into accepting the same source material which got onto Blu ray in Region Two. Did anyone else here suffer with that? I bought it from Amazon.co.uk and unloaded it at a loss immediately as it was so hugely inferior to my existing DVD. Soem word of reassurance from TT wouldn't go amiss here, so that I could pre-order with confidence!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The Buddy Holly Story is also on my to-buy list, though I confess I have not seen the movie yet. In other words, a blind buy.
AnthonyClarke said:
But to make a point again .. I just hope that Twilight Time doesn't get suckered into accepting the same source material which got onto Blu ray in Region Two. Did anyone else here suffer with that? I bought it from Amazon.co.uk and unloaded it at a loss immediately as it was so hugely inferior to my existing DVD. Soem word of reassurance from TT wouldn't go amiss here, so that I could pre-order with confidence!
I'm sure it will be a proper blu-ray release. Sony (and TT for that matter) is very good about not letting garbage transfers hit the streets, and that extends to its MOD line. Almost everything that comes out of Sony these days is freshly remastered from quality elements.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Dick said:
Regarding Woody's appeal, this is just so subjective. Something that makes a lot of people fall down laughing uncontrollably will make other people roll their eyeballs.

Beyond that, the man can write. There is Jewish humor that might pass over a lot of us, but there is also a lot of insight into what makes people neurotic and awkward in our society. Further, the man can write for women. He is one of the best writers of female characters out there, and most any actress who has worked for him would tell you that. He has evolved from an erratic but often brilliant purveyor of nutty, slapstick humor into an erratic but often brilliant writer of modern relationships, often with humor but sometimes not. His films are not all good. Some are pretty awful. But Allen turns out a movie a year and perhaps one in three of them is a real gem, and another is at least entertaining. How many writer-directors with forty-five films in his resume could say that?

There are almost no pretense or bombastic sound and image in his films. His opening and closing credits almost invariably occur as white text black background. He uses (sometimes redundantly) jazz and classic music rather than overblown, wall-to-wall orchestral scores. His directors of photography know he wants simple camera setups and he hold shots of the actors longer than most directors, allowing their performances (rather than a lot of quick cuts and jerky camerawork) to shine.

There are maybe fifteen movies of Allen's I do not care for and will not own, but the other thirty already are or will eventually be in my collection on Blu-ray.

As for the nay-sayers, maybe you really like Michael Bay movies...? :)
Nobody, and I mean nobody in the U.S.A.can write dialogue as brilliant as Woody Allan can. Just concentrate on the dialogue when watching his films.Good scriptwriters in the USA are very very rare. This is why most American films suck big time.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
AnthonyClarke said:
Yes, it's the music performances and Busey's amazing take on the Holly persona which make 'The Buddy Holly Story' a must-have. I've seen Paul McCartney's doco on the real BH and read a lot of material, but that doesn't take away from the essential strengths of the story -- any more than the niceness of Jimmy Stewart doesn't destory his take on the often downright ornery Glenn Miller!
Yeah, I have the R2 Buddy Holly Story BD. It's bad. I am hopeful the TT will be a much improved version.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Cremildo said:
ANNIE HALL fully deserved the Oscar for best film. Maybe you would have appreciated it more if you had seen it when it was originally released. It was a massive hit Really massive! Woody Allen is the supreme filmmaker in the USA and one of the best in the world. Maybe some people are unable to concentrate when they see films today - using mobile phones - talking and making a lot of noise eating popcorn..Popcorn should be banned from cinemas, like it is in one of my local cinemas. Thanks to today's audiences and their behaviour, I rarely see a film in a cinema. I have only been a few times in the last seven years.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
TravisR said:
I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of good American movies is the same as good movies out of any other country.
How many foreign language films have you seen in the past year as against American ? have you seen any Korean (they make some of the best in the world),Japanese or French films lately?.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
cinerama10 said:
How many foreign language films have you seen in the past year as against American ? have you seen any Korean (they make some of the best in the world),Japanese or French films lately?.
I've seen a handful of lousy Japanese horror movies but what I've seen is irrelevant and not the point that I was making. In terms of percentages, I can't imagine that American movies are any worse than French, Korean, Saudi Arabian, South African or any other country's movies. In terms of numbers, it seems like there's more bad American movies because America makes more movies that are seen on a global level (and the dumb ones are the ones that the foreign markets eat up). Meanwhile, the vast majority of bad movies made in, say, India don't get seen outside of that country while the good ones do get seen internationally and that creates a false impression that American movies are somehow substantially worse than what's made in other countries.

All that being said, if you want to think that only the Japanese or French, etc. know how to make good movies while Americans have forgotten how to do it, I really don't care.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Robin9 said:
I've been thinking about buying the DVD for the longest time without ever getting my money out. No further delay! I'm buying this . . . . and yes, you're right. It one of Elvis's best films.
I'm hoping that Elvis's other Mirisch film Kid Galahad will follow.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Violent Saturday,and The Buddy Holly Story for me. Gary Busey was, at one time, a FINE actor.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Richard V said:
Violent Saturday,and The Buddy Holly Story for me. Gary Busey was, at one time, a FINE actor.
I love his performance in Under Siege. He's hilarious.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Some good stuff here, Violent Saturday, The Secret of Santa Vittoria and Born Yesterday are definite purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks