What's new

EXCLUSIVE: Twilight Time July/August Titles (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ROclockCK said:
So far, my only disappointment in that regard is that TT hasn't (yet) found a licensing point of entry into the undeservedly neglected backlog of lost Canuck classics like Phillip Boros' The Grey Fox, or Denis Villeneuve's early Quebec films such as Maelström. Heck, even vintage Cronenberg seems to be a hurdle for Blu-ray.
how I would love to see them release The Grey Fox, such a gem of a film, and Farnsworth just steals your heart with his performance.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
dana martin said:
how I would love to see them release The Grey Fox, such a gem of a film, and Farnsworth just steals your heart with his performance.
Like the 'gentleman bandit' he portrayed, Farnsworth did not go completely unnoticed for his work Dana...winning Best Actor from Taormina, the London Critics Circle, our own Genie awards, and snagging a Golden Globe nomination (back when that meant more). And yet no DVD. In fact, no home video presence at all either domestically or internationally since VHS and Laserdisc days.

So The Grey Fox is the very definition of a MIA title deserving rediscovery and re-appreciation. But without even a DVD, it's unlikely that an HD master was ever prepared, which limits what a single cottage label like TT could do to rescue it from obscurity. Also, like a lot of Canuck films of that era, I think it had rather complicated public/private financing, so rights could be an issue as well. AFAIK Video Treasures (do they even exist anymore?) was the last company with any home video connection to it, back in 1989.

I just hope I live long enough to see someone - somewhere - resurrect this lost gem because it does have a devoted cult following. I'm always surprised by the number of folks on various boards who have not only seen the film, but love it...ironically, more from the U.S. or overseas than domestically. Usually when I ask Canadian fans about The Grey Fox they just cock their heads quizzically like the RCA dog.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Grey Fox and Farsnworth's rich performance need to be seen and appreciated by the younger generation. The film needs to be made available again. And yet, here we go again, it'd probably go to a boutique label because most people would scratch their heads and pass on this title and its leading man. Farsnworth, who?

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Most younger fans probably know Richard Farnsworth from David Lynch's The Straight Story. But he had long acting history in golden and silver era Hollywood, notably in vintage oaters.

Somehow I think this one will remain out of reach for any single cottage label because of the prohibitive cost of remastering in high-def. Wouldn't it be wonderful though if some of the overseas catalogue labels like Arrow, Carlotta, or MOC could pool their resources with either a Twilight Time or Criterion stateside to fund a new master which they could all share for their own specialized markets?

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Just finished watching Broadway Danny Rose, which looks wonderful, so I'll be buying Radio Days even though it's not a personal favorite. As much as I love Buddy Holly's music, the film is such a glossed over semi-true version that I never liked it. Pass.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Nothing for me looking for Solomon and Sheba, Land of the Pharaohs, Esther and the King, Sodom and Gomorrah, Seven Cities of Gold.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Ernest said:
Nothing for me looking for Solomon and Sheba, Land of the Pharaohs, Esther and the King, Sodom and Gomorrah, Seven Cities of Gold.
You certainly ain't the only one, brother, EVERY ONE of those!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ROclockCK said:
I just hope I live long enough to see someone - somewhere - resurrect this lost gem because it does have a devoted cult following. I'm always surprised by the number of folks on various boards who have not only seen the film, but love it...ironically, more from the U.S. or overseas than domestically. Usually when I ask Canadian fans about The Grey Fox they just cock their heads quizzically like the RCA dog.
yep I skipped a day of college and saw this twice in that one day, and was hooked,

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
ROclockCK said:
You'll find that running list here Lou...everything TT has announced or released to date, including sell outs.

For those who have been wondering about this label's title mix of domestic and foreign titles, that FB page also includes the following comment by Nick Redman:

Of course, I love my U.S. Studio classics and deep vault rescues as much as the next guy, but I trust this label's taste and production quality, so their expanded sourcing Internationally is also very welcome. Unlike during the heyday of video rentals, I just don't get to see enough of the good stuff from other countries anymore...most of these little culture-specific windows don't even get released theatrically here now...just the big buzz festival winners.

So far, my only disappointment in that regard is that TT hasn't (yet) found a licensing point of entry into the undeservedly neglected backlog of lost Canuck classics like Phillip Boros' The Grey Fox, or Denis Villeneuve's early Quebec films such as Maelström. Heck, even vintage Cronenberg seems to be a hurdle for Blu-ray.
Thanks , I checked this list and there are at least 5 I need to order. Sadly ,a couple of other ones are already out of print .

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Tom Stears said:
I'm shocked that The Buddy Holly Story is coming to blu-ray. Gary's performance in this is absolutely amazing.
What?

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
"The Secret of Santa Vittoria" (from the director, writer and composer of "Mad Mad World" with Anthony Quinn and Anna Magnani in a race to who will burst a blood vessel first from yelling at each other -- hilarious movie although many dramatic moments are truly unsettling)

"Brannigan" -- terrific late career John Wayne cop thriller, Duke in 'Crocodile Dundee' mode in 1974 London -- great location filming up and down the streets of London (and notably, Tower Bridge) which will look amazing on bluray. Also, the last bar room brawl John Wayne was ever in on film. A piece of trivia -- the night before he died, Peter Sellers and his son watched "Brannigan" on television and Peter pointed out to his son the stuntmen who worked on this picture (mainly in the bar room brawl scene) would all go on to work with him in the "Pink Panther" movies and knew each by name.

"Violent Saturday" -- one of the great heist movies of all time, amazing cast and will also look also spectacular on bluray.

Those are the three I'm getting -- "Save Your Legs" is a very funny Australian sports based comedy (in this case, cricket) that was a big hit down here last year -- only a matter of time before some big studio picks this up and remakes it -- believe me, in this case, stick with the original!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
lukejosephchung said:
Busey was Oscar-nominated as Best Actor in a Lead Role...deservedly so...for this performance!!! :thumbsup:
Yes, it doesn't matter that Paul McCartney complains it's not exactly the true story -- the performances are resoundingly good.
The Apollo Theatre concert sequence is a mini-classic by itself.
Here's hoping it gets a better transfer than the old Region B Blu ray abomination !

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I'm a big (for which read HUGE!) Buddy Holly fan.

In Buddy Holly/Crickets circles The Buddy Holly Story is generally seen as a complete joke, it is so inaccurate.

For me, I understand that 'based on a true story' is a fairly elastic term, and that films don't necessarily need to be historically accurate to good.

In addition, so much of Buddy's life is still shrouded in a little uncertainty to this day, and new facts/rumours emerge over time, they really couldn't have made a film when they did which was still seen as 100% kosher today.

Busey is great, and the reproduction of the music is extremely good.

Steve W

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Brian McP said:
"Violent Saturday" -- one of the great heist movies of all time, amazing cast and will also look also spectacular on bluray.
Violent Saturday should have highly directional dialog

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
moviefanatic1979 said:
Follow That Dream, as an Elvis fan, is a must buy for me.
It's the favourite Elvis movie for many Elvis fans. In this comedy Elvis plays a character, instead of the card board cut outs he played in his other 1960's movies. And it features the very likable Arthur O'Connell.

Another point is this:
It's never had an anamorphic dvd release in the US.
I've been thinking about buying the DVD for the longest time without ever getting my money out. No further delay! I'm buying this . . . . and yes, you're right. It one of Elvis's best films.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Brian McP said:
"The Secret of Santa Vittoria" (from the director, writer and composer of "Mad Mad World" with Anthony Quinn and Anna Magnani in a race to who will burst a blood vessel first from yelling at each other -- hilarious movie although many dramatic moments are truly unsettling)

I'm surprised that we're not seeing more love for this title. The review from Variety:

The Secret of Santa Vittoria Review

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Robin9 said:
I've been thinking about buying the DVD for the longest time without ever getting my money out. No further delay! I'm buying this . . . . and yes, you're right. It one of Elvis's best films.
Follow That Dream is on Vudu HD streaming and I've seen the first two minute clip (free sample) in 1080p. The titles are over live footage and at the very end of the clip, when the titles are finished, it goes out of the dupe and into the original footage until the sample ends. This looks very nice. It will be great to have a BD and retire the letterboxed DVD!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm in for the Ken Loach double feature(how about 'Bread and Roses" next?) and 'The Buddy Holly Story'.
On the fence about 'Radio Days'.
Not to get burned at the stake talking ill of Woody Allen in a forum for people that love movies, but seriously what is the appeal? I've watched enough of his work trying to force myself into liking his films(I thought Radio Days was pretty good) but I just don't get it. I hated 'Annie Hall'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks