What's new

Interview Exclusive HTF Interview: Gretchen Wayne on the Blu-ray release of Hondo (1 Viewer)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/321298/exclusive-htf-interview-gretchen-wayne-on-the-blu-ray-release-of-hondo#post_3935221
Presentation in the correct aspect ratio is not only about displaying more picture information- it's about displaying the appropriate picture information and not displaying the inappropriate picture information.
That's fine, but lets not tell the buying public that they'll be getting a widescreen bluray presentation seeing vistas they've never seen before. To me, I wish Paramount would have given us both the faux widescreen and the full screen presentation. This way, you would not have arguments going back and forth let we're doing.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter

Unlike other open matte presentations, I've never seen booms at the top of this picture, or unnecessary picture info in the full screen presentation of Hondo. It sounds to me that you are on a personal vendettta to tell everyone that Hondo should only be shown in wide screen. I personally am not buying it. It's fine if others want to see this film cropped, but I'd like the high def presentation in a full screen frame.

[FONT= 'Times New Roman'] [/FONT]

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
jim_falconer said:
]Unlike other open matte presentations, I've never seen booms at the top of this picture, or unnecessary picture info in the full screen presentation of Hondo. It sounds to me that you are on a personal vendettta to tell everyone that Hondo should only be shown in wide screen.  I personally am not buying it.  It's fine if others want to see this film cropped, but I'd like the high def presentation in a full screen frame.
But the film makers intended it to be seen at the 1.85 ratio (and 3-D).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You've not seen booms or tracks because the early films were protected for 1.37 for those theatres world-wide that could not yet project a wider frame, and there were many.

RAH

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I wish Paramount would have given us both the faux widescreen and the full screen presentation.
It's not a "faux widescreen" if that's the aspect ratio the director and cinematographer were composing for.
From telegrams between the Duke and Jack Warner during production:
Principal photography began in Camargo, Mexico on June 11. The picturesque landscape would provide the perfect visual setting, but the director and cinematographers had trouble adjusting to the new camera. On June 18, Jack Warner viewed three reels of dailies and was concerned about the lack of close-ups, especially in the scene where John Wayne first meets Geraldine Page. He sent a telegram to the Duke and said "Director is not moving you and Geraldine close enough to camera. Everything seems to be too far away. Must have usual over-shoulder close shots individuals and tight twos in three-dimensional pictures so we can see peoples expressions and everything else." On June 20, John Wayne replied: "Farrow has done everything but play music to get camera in for close shots. Seems our lenses are matted for 1.75 or 1.85 screen, plus fact that cameraman is over cautious for fear front office will scream eyestrain. Will show cameraman your wire. Think it will do the trick. He is really working hard but has limited us in making shots because of his fear and reluctance to do a shot that might throw background lines too wide an angle."
For a better understanding of the dawn of widescreen and how directors/cinematographers composed wide while protecting for standard ratio, you may find post #137 in this thread of interest:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/319469/aspect-ratio-research/120
Major theaters throughout the country began installing new screens in the summer of 1953. A 12/5/53 survey of 16,753 operating indoor domestic theaters showed that 80% of downtown theaters and 69% of neighborhood theaters had installed widescreens. In total, 58% of all U.S. theaters had gone widescreen by the end of 1953. The conversion was slow in the Southern and North central parts of the country.
HONDO premiered on November 24 and went into wide release throughout the country in December.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I hadn't realized this before but it's an interesting bit of trivia: HONDO was Warner Bros. first widescreen movie!
Warner Bros. had pretty shut down the studio in April of 1953 for a period of evaluation and testing with 3-D and widescreen. Jack Warner announced the studios all-widescreen policy on May 7, 1953. The All-Media camera rig was first shown to the trades on May 19 and HONDO began filming on location in Mexico on June 11.
Work finally commenced on the lot on July 14 after a three month hiatus. The first feature to begin production in Burbank was THE BOUNTY HUNTER in 3-D and 1.75:1.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
If you're in LA on June 21, here's a rare opportunity to see a screening of the digital 3-D version of HONDO: http://cinema.usc.edu/events/event.cfm?id=12757

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes /t/321298/exclusive-htf-interview-gretchen-wayne-on-the-blu-ray-release-of-hondo/60#post_3938890
I assume you'll be there. If that's correct, could you write some kind of review on what you see? Thanks
What sort of a review are you seeking.

Mr. F and I have both seen this.

RAH

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Robert Harris said:
What sort of a review are you seeking.
Mr. F and I have both seen this.
RAH
I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the 3D version was "restored" in the 1980s, but then it was redone around 2008 because Mrs. Wayne was mistakenly informed that work was needed on the 3D prints. I wasn't aware that the redone version had been shown previously, and I was wondering if it came up to Mr. Furmanek's standards as I would assume that the redone version is the one to be screened on June 21rst and, if there is a 3D blu-ray, will form the basis for that.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I couldn't not have it, so I picked up the Blu-ray yesterday and, per my usual custom, popped it in to spot-check the disc even though I won't be watching it till later I've never seen the film, and it looks so great! What a shame, that this huge lost opportunity had to occur. Really hoping the real thing can materialize at some point.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Got my contest copy from the HTF this week. Looking forward to sitting down and watching the 2D version. May play it a 2nd time with pulfrich glasses to see how well they work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks