What's new

Examples of "warm" speakers from online stores. .. (1 Viewer)

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
If I was looking for "warm" speakers from an online retailer, which would you recommend?

Another question: I listen to all sorts of music but a lot of heavy metal. Can a "warm" speaker handle it?

Thanks.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Cambridge Soundworks MC500 and MC300. Not sure how loud you listen to heavy metal, but if you've got the juice a "warm" speaker can handle it.

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
Would warm be the same as laid back?? :frowning:

I'm real sensitive to the highs of a lot of speakers. I think I want something laid back?? :confused:

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yes laid back, warm, rolled off, mean pretty much the same thing. Some speaks are "warmer" than others that are considered warm. That makes sense right..? ;)

Mirage

Energy

Mordan Short

B&W-->most models 6/7/8

Wharfedale-->Diamond, Pacific, Pacific Evo, possibley the new Opus line also

Quad-->"Cone driver" speaks

Most of the Britt brands lean to the warm side, but NOT all certainly..

Many consider the brands mentioned above to be more toward the warm/neutral side to some extent. I'm sure some might disagree depending on the speaker & front end driving them.

Sure you'll get other recomendations for speakers considered more toward to the warm or laid back side.

Metal Music:
Any speaker, warm, bright, neutral, etc, sent "clean power" and power rated accordingly, will handel most anything you throw at it music wise. "Will you like the sound", well thats a different story.
So you should try and listen to as many models & brands as possible.
A speaker rated at 150-watts continous will easily handel 200 watts of clean power. Pumping garbage "Distorted Power" into that same speaker and it can be blown with as little as a 25 watts or (less), regardless of it's power rating..

Happy hunting
Geoff ¥
Edit: Sorry missed the online stores part.:b

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Alex,
Warmth to one person is not warmth to another. Mordaunt Short, Energy and Mirage are certainly not speakers I'd call "laid back" or Warm. B&W's were very forward to me and always have been. Not bright but overly agressive in the top end.

If you are more leaning towards online stores, then I think Onix Rockets would be the closest thing.

But as you can see, there are several opinions regarding all of this, I think you should take your favorite music and check out a bunch of speakers locally and see what you prefer.

Alex_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to also consider non-online retailers. I'm going to listen to some acoustic energy and PSB speakers tonight. Don't know if those are considered laid back or not.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Alex
Speakers are very very subjective.

The speakers placement, the recording used, the trasport feed, the front end (Amp/Receiver)-driving them, and the "room" can also have a "huge bearing" on their sound. Combine this with how we all hear/percive sound differently, and well, you get the idea...

As Shane mentioned, take your favorite music with you and listen carefully. Even if you find something you like, don't be surprised if it's sound/flavor changes slightly to even drasticly once you set it up at home in your room using your electronics.

Take your time and look for retailers online or B&M's that offer good return programs. Any decent B&M will usual let you test your liked/picked out speaks at home. There are always rules one might say, so be sure to get all the info on in home trial/demo/usuage and what happenes if you don't like..! This goes for both B&M and online retailers.

I agree with Shane on the online
Onix/Rocket speaks & might also mention the older Swans if the line is still available..

Cheers
Geoff ¥
Edit: Try to run simalar electronics when demoing speaks, simalar to yours if possible.

Mike_Cif

Stunt Coordinator
Athena F2's.

Which are owned by energy :)

I bought a pair of these online for a great price of $350 shipped. I bought them unheard, and wow am I impresed. They have dual 8" woofers on each speaker, and the tweeter is extremely natural. The speakers have a huge sound stage, and the clarity and dynamics of these speakers are wayyy above what you pay. I've heard speakers in the 1-2k range that have small 6 1/2 drivers that just don't get the type of dynamics that these speakers get. Handle ?, these babies can handle up to 250rms and down to 30hz on the low end, they'll dish out more then most towers. Give it a try, I honestly don't think theres another set of speakers under 1k that are this good, considering these are much less then 1k !

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't say that the term "warm" and "laid back" are the same.

Laid Back means the actual soundstage is somewhat pushed back opposite of a "forward" sounding speaker. A speaker can still be a "laid back" souding speaker but not be "warm" sounding. A perfect example would be B&W's. They are by no means a "warm" speaker. They are very detailed and crisp but they are NOT in your face. So I would say they are "laid back" but not warm. They aren't considered "bright" or "harsh" either. There are many others in this range. Swan's have a very similar sound to the B&W's. They are detailed but somewhat laid back. The sound isn't right in your face and ears.

I used to own Paradigms and I would consider them on the bright side, but fairly nuetral when it comes to soundstage. They were neither forward or laid back.

Basically you just have to listen and try to find the sound you like. For me, I cannot stand a bright in your face speaker, but I don't want an overly warm sound either. I like the middle ground.....the nice clean, crisp highs with the somewhat laid back sound. Thus the reason I bought the Swans!

Good luck!

Dong Rodriguez

Auditioning
David:

Which Paradigm series you used to own that you considered bright? Actually I included mini monitor as one of my choices ( PSB image 2b is the other one) based on conceptions that it is a bit on warm side.

Thanks.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
I had an all Paradigm system before I changed them out to Swans. I had Mini-Monitors up front along with the CC-370 and Atoms for surround duty. I think they are a tad on the bright side. The highs can be a bit harsh to my ears. They are not a forward in your face speaker, but they do have a harsher high end IMO. They don't sound bad by any means, just not what I was wanting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks