What's new

EVITA on Blu-ray - Finally! (1 Viewer)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
So I got my EVITA Blu-ray at the amazing price of $12.99 from Amazon.com. I can now retire my anamorphic Japanese DVD from long ago (the only US release was non-anamorphic widescreen from 1999).
All I expected was a new HD transfer and DTS-MA 5.1 audio, but the disc also has a teaser trailer, music video, and an abridged version of "The Making of Evita" documentary. I haven't read anywhere online about the documentary being edited, but I can confirm that it is when compared to the version on the Criterion Laserdisc. More on that later...
I have read some reports online expressing disappointment regarding the Blu-ray transfer, something I don't understand. I think it is marvelous (with reservations regarding the compression - a lot of blockiness can be seen in the dark backgrounds if one is looking for it). Even one of my friends commented that it looks "very soft focus, grainy, and low contrast," though he was only looking at screen captures. I think revisiting the DVD and comparing it is in order.
I made the following comparisons by upscaling the anamorphic Japanese DVD and compositing it against the full 1920x1080 Blu-ray captures (all captures made in VLC with the same settings). DVD on the left, Blu-ray on the right. Any softness can be attributed to the original photography, I think. And if people think the Blu-ray is soft, they should check out the DVD! The images are downscaled for posting here, but I think the resolution is still high enough for people to easily discern a difference.
12849554_EVITADVDBLUCOMPARE_1.jpeg

fe7bad60_EVITADVDBLUCOMPARE_2.jpeg

30b4c0ca_EVITADVDBLUCOMPARE_3.jpeg

7371c30c_EVITADVDBLUCOMPARE_4.jpeg

1c1a37d0_EVITADVDBLUCOMPARE_5.jpeg

f0800995_EVITADVDBLUCOMPARE_6.jpeg

c51e6726_EVITADVDBLUCOMPARE_7.jpeg

The sound is great and the voices don't sound as wholly removed in tone from the rest of the soundtrack as was evident on the previous releases.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I watched Evita on blu-ray this past weekend and thought it looked the best I have ever seen this film look. It has been a long time since I could lose myself in this film without being constantly distracted by the poor quality of the dvd. Some of those early Disney non-anamorphic DVDs were pretty sad, but especially Evita. For $12.99 I thought this was a huge bargain and I am totally satisfied with it. It's a great feeling when you can just relax into a movie and the technology becomes secondary.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I never even bought the DVD, I'm sure my Criterion LD would have put it to shame. Interested to hear more about the edits to the doc...

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Moe Dickstein said:
I never even bought the DVD, I'm sure my Criterion LD would have put it to shame. Interested to hear more about the edits to the doc...
The sound on the Criterion Laserdisc, yes, but not the picture. Even it being non-anamorphic, the same video transfer was used for both the DVD and LD, and the higher resolution and greater image stability of the DVD effectively trumped the Laserdisc in the video department.
Here is the footage cut from the documentary on the Blu-ray. It is present in the documentary on the Criterion Laserdisc, which is where I culled this excerpt:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Already being discussed here (where the consensus is the new Blu is excellent in both video and audio quality):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/319181/evita-bluray-5-22-12

Maybe a mod can merge these threads??

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
What does everyone think of the segment cut from the documentary on the Blu-ray that I posted? Such a shame to lose that casual, bonding moment with Madonna and the cast.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by Chuck Pennington /t/321773/evita-on-blu-ray-finally#post_3942325
What does everyone think of the segment cut from the documentary on the Blu-ray that I posted? Such a shame to lose that casual, bonding moment with Madonna and the cast.
After watching the YouTube video above, first thought was that it's a music licensing issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks