What's new

Evil Dead... The musical? :) (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The Peter Jackson zombie film Braindead (aka Dead Alive) was turned into Braindead: The Musical back in 1994. never saw it - wish I had.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Is nothing sacred? I guess not. Definately cinematic blasphemy. I even refuse to watch "Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness" let alone a musical version of the best in the series.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Why do you refuse to watch Army of Darkness Chuck? I thought Army of Darkness was better than Evil Dead II which was better than Evil Dead! :)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
"The Evil Dead" is a pure horror film, much in the same vein as "Night of the Living Dead", "Demons", etc. The two sequals introduced waaaaayyyy too much camp into the series, especially Army of Darkness, which had little to do with the original. Don't get me wrong, I have seen the movie a couple of times and just can't get used to the camp. I should have said I refuse to buy the movie instead of see it. Even the second one left me feeling rather let down. I know that sometimes a little camp is necessary in a movie, ala the pie throwing in "Dawn of the Dead", but when I want to see a horror movie, I want just that, not a comedy masquerading as one.

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
"The Evil Dead" is a pure horror film, much in the same vein as "Night of the Living Dead", "Demons", etc.
Interesting, because i always thought the evil dead was hilarious even before i saw 2 and 3. I thought it was intended to be campy and comedic.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Unlike the last two films, the first Evil Dead was meant "to be taken seriously." But once a woman gets raped by a tree, all seriousness was basically thrown out the window. Don't get me wrong, I like the first Evil Dead, but I find it more as a campy horror film than a horror film meant to be taken seriously.

This is why I enjoy the last two films better, while campy, they don't take themselves (too) seriously.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I am a strange case... I was never a big fan of this series...

While I found Evil Dead and Army of Darkness to be ok and passible, I absolutely hated Evil Dead 2 (Which many would consider to be the best in the series)...

I just never liked it... I saw it when I was 8 or 9 and hated it... I saw it a few years ago again and still hated it...

I thought Army of Darkness was better, but not by much...

I guess unfortunatly that I will just never like Evil Dead 2...

I kind of agree with the other guy... I like more serious horror movies... Although, certain campy movies like the Elm Street movies, etc. I was able to enjoy on a fun level...

I dont get it...

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, because i always thought the evil dead was hilarious even before i saw 2 and 3. I thought it was intended to be campy and comedic.
I think it's a case in which the movie was intended to be a straight horror film, but Raimi and his crew were all such Three Stooges fanatics that they couldn't fully suppress their urges in that direction and the movie ended up being darkly comical :)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
When I first saw this film, "The Evil Dead", I found myself cringing from the gore as opposed to laughing. I found absolutely nothing laughable in this film. Unlike the other two which deliberately went after the laughs, especially "Army of Darkness." In "Army of Darkness", the Ash character has degenerated to blatant buffoonery. Hey, I like the 3 Stooges as well as the next guy, but the whole medieval thing, c'mon, and what is up with the damned chainsaw. See I just absolutely hate it when a series degenerates so much as this. I didn't laugh at "Army of Darkness" as much as I rolled my eyes. It seems movies with such sequals end up like this. After the first movie, did anyone notice that Freddy Kruger's face became really rubbery and fake? And wasn't Jason Voorhees a 12 year old boy in the first movie? C'mon, where in the heck did the huge, hulking, hockey mask wearing dude come from? IMHO, horror movies should horrify.....period. That is exactly why most re-makes don't measure up. The recent remake of "The Haunting" bears this out. While the original is indeed a scary movie, the remake turned the story from horror to human interest. Sad, truly sad.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
See, it is the camp factor of EDII and AoD that I love.

It is the reason why I never have seen the original. Gory horror does nothing for me.

Jason

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Although its been a while since I saw either of theses movies (read High School and im 24). Im thinking that The Evil Dead, was supposed to be a normal horror movie and for whatever reasons turned out to be a campy horror movie. Then they just ran with it for II and III.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Yeah, I see what you guys mean. Different tastes I guess. I for one do not own any comedies in my DVD collection preferring to stick with Action, Horror, Sci-Fi, Drama, etc.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The RenPics guys have always been cool about allowing thsi sort of thing. They licensed a great live Xena play I saw in Chicago. (Actually, several, but I only saw the first.)

RyanPC

Stunt Coordinator
Anything should be better than this:

http://www.silencethemusical.com/index.shtml

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Actually, the song "If I Could Smell Her Cunt" is pretty catchy!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Hey, I like the 3 Stooges as well as the next guy, but the whole medieval thing, c'mon, and what is up with the damned chainsaw.
The chainsaw comes from Evil Dead 2, where Ash used it to cut off, and then to substitute for, his possessed hand. Perhaps a takeoff on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies? (Anyone recall the dates?)

Evil Dead 2 also foreshadows (no doubt, deliberately) the whole medieval thing.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Silence - the musical

That was funny.

I remember hearing someone recently making a joke about a song version of "I can smell your c--t".

Apparently, that was no joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks