What's new

Evil Dead II - Book of the Dead COMPARISON SHOTS (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Actually Jeffrey, Pallet is an acceptable synonym / alternate of Palette:

But thanks for the attempt...you may not be trying to "slam" me but that doesn't mean I won't defend myself from undue criticism. :)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Since that definition references "colour," I'm assuming it refers to British usage. Is that what you guys speak out there in St. Louis? ;)

DJ

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well...that is from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language...so...haggis by way of apple pie I suppose.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
....or did I mis-associate haggis as being representative of the whole of british culture rather than a mainly Scottish stereotype this time?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
as i was reading this and received an email from roger eberts mailing list.

" Here comes the corpse...
"Tim Burton's Corpse Bride" is not the macabre horror story the title suggests, but a sweet and visually lovely tale of love lost. In an era when most animated films look relentlessly bright and colorful, "Corpse Bride" creates two palettes, and not the ones we expect. "

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Just read DVDfile's review...

The Video: How Does The Disc Look?

This Divimax 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer of Evil Dead 2 looks marginally more impressive than Anchor Bay's last one, but there's not a sea of difference. Black levels are particularly rich and dense – that's what is most noticeable here – but the reality of the situation is that Evil Dead 2 succeeds in spite of its technical shortcomings and doesn't necessarily need to rest in the laurels of fancy-schmancy DVD transfers. Color contrast here is as good as it probably can be, the quality of this print is relatively without blemish or grime, and fine detail quality is fairly strong as well. Not a jaw-dropping transfer, but then again, Evil Dead 2 never looked jaw-droppingly great.

Since I never grabbed this before, seems pretty safe for me. :) d

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Is Divimax the new term for reimagined color timing?

AB did it with Halloween, now ED2.

Look at the caption of the girl's eyes... they just morphed from green to blue!!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Divimax seems to be a really sophisticated "paintbox" process. It looks like a large part of the image is kept "frozen" while only moving elements seem to have more movement.

The only problem is that I see occasional "outlines" left in the stationary background. This is only based on the Dawn of the Dead (theatrical cut) DiviMax DVD. It looks great, but individual frames do get a few weird artifacts.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hey Guys! Now This Is The Directors VISION! OK? Now We Should Just Accept It! OK? I Think This Film Was Always Supposed To Be Imagined As A Comic Book, And.....oh...wait, what thread am I in?

Ah, yes..yes.."Ebertatious Palletteatious". :D

Anyway, I still will wait until I can see this new transfer for myself before I totally dismiss or praise it.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Divimax is just a marketing term (ie Platinum Series, 5-Star, Vista). The telecine process is still done by real companies.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
...wait, I thought PatrickMcCart was just joking about the whole "What is Divimax - paintbox" thing, I know Marco was....sort of.;)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Actually, DiviMax refers to the original film-to-tape transfer having been done in High-Definition then downconverted to SD for the DVD.

As for the DVD File review indictaing that EVIL DEAD 2 never looked good, uhm, okay. It was only shot by a brilliant DP (Peter Deming, who went on to shoot several David Lynch films among others) and has some of the most amazing camerawork EVER seen in a movie, regardless of budget or genre...

But yeah, it totally never looked good. Uh huh. Right.

Vincent

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
You know, another thing that some reviewers are saying is that this transfer has much less EE than the previous transfers....I have unfortunately* come to recognize EE when I see it thanks to HTF but I never really saw it much in the previous transfer, I'm not saying that it isn't there but it, IMO, wasn't really that bad compared to various big studio offerings. Grainy yes, but EE wasn't that much of a factor when I watched it.

*Unfortunate because if I hadn't been alerted to it I probably wouldn't have noticed it as much as I do now. ;)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

No one said it was. Anchor Bay, however, only uses the logo when using an HD source. They had not used any HD transfers prior to their first DiviMax release. For Evil Dead 2, this is the first time that AB (and possibly anyone else, for that matter) has done a HD transfer. DiviMax is nothing like "Vista Series" or "Platinum Series."

DJ

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Does the new R1 DVD look like the R2 version? I don't like the new look at all when seing the screen caps on dvdforum.nu

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Divimax is still a marketing gimmick. Just about every dvd release of a studio film is derived from a HD source. I guess "mastered in high definition" doesn't sound as cool as "Divimax". :D

Blake Siefken

Stunt Coordinator
VERY IMPORTANT:

When the eyeball shoots across the room and lands in Bobby Joe's mouth, they've digitally erased the pole holding the eyeball, as well as the string holding it in the next shot. If you don't believe me, watch the documentary "The Gore The Merrier" included on the disc (its also on the old DVD). They mention how you can see it, but now its gone from the actual movie.

Its not the new transfer that took it away, if anything, the improved picture quality should have made it more obvious. It has clearly been erased digitally with a computer.

The obviousness of the pole and then the string made the scene funnier, but now its gone. It reminds me of the glass in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" being erased from the DVD, its a crying shame!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Aw that's a shame, I agree, the cheapness of the...hey don't they mention it in the commentary as well? Boy for anyone who hasn't seen any other version of the film that part of the commentary is going to confuse the hell out of them..."what poll?" -rewind- (rub's eyes) "I don't see any poll!" ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks