What's new

everyone's favorit...new ht pics..... (1 Viewer)

Kevin George

Stunt Coordinator
hi hter's....
the last 2 months i havent really been around to much. i bought my first house in november and have been pretty busy getting moved in and setup, especially the theater area. my girlfreind wishes my priorities were a little different but what kind of guy would i be if i worried about how to store the pots and pans before i worried about how to setup the ht ;)
some of you may remember the setup i had in college when i was living at my parents house...in case you want to see it though here is the link:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28628.html
well, things have really changed for the better with my new setup. im using better equipment, the speakers are placed more correctly instead of positions which were dictated by working with a small room. also, the front projection setup looks bettter than ever becuase i have more viewing distance now and becuase i didnt have to rig anything up, such as the mirror setup in my first theater. Lastly, becuase the house is mine and i dont have to hear family members complain...the spl levels are up...way up;)
truthfully, this new theater is pretty much how i imagined id set it up when i first starting thinking about buying the house a year ago. Thank god i was able to make some money my first year after college and make my dream of buying an ht freindly place a reality.
here is the link to my new setup. i completed it last night by having the shelves in the rear of the room installed.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...t/28628-3.html
i hope you all enjoy the pics, and perhaps they even give you some good ideas to use in your own ht setups.
i also want to thank ron,parker, and the mods for running this good forum where one can come and get a free and extensive education in the art of ht and all of it's aspects :)
Terry C and Lewis B, thank you guys as well for all the help you have both given me over the past couple of years with the "low end" of things....bass never sounded so good! you should see the faces of my freinds and neighboors when they come over and feel for the first time what true seismic, kidney jarring, clean, deep bass is all about. women seem to really like it as well...they often seem to take the seats closest to the subs....hhhhmmm......
if any of you have any questions or comments please feel free to fire away

Kevin George

Stunt Coordinator
bhagi,
thanks for the compliment. i dont have a problem with the bricks since they are on the other side of the home theater room.
it's kinda hard to tell from the pics though i guess...
basically on one side of the room is the dinning area and dvd storage, and on the other side is the ht room which contains all of the furniture and the equipment. in addition both of the rooms are separated by a wall which runs half way into each room....

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Wow, how tall is that sonosub? it looks at least 6 ft tall in the pics. Looks Great BTW, I wish I had a house. I guess my apt will have to do for now.

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
YOU HAD THAT SYSTEM IN COLLEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOWZA

excuse me while I go yak up my lunch

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Very Nice Setup :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Questions:
Have you noticed any timbre issues with the Infinity mains and Polk center?
Have you considered getting/making an actual screen?
(or maybe the wall is treated?)

Kevin George

Stunt Coordinator
jeff,
the sonosub is right about 7 ft. terry c of the forum built if for me. the sub uses 2 12inch shiva drivers and is pushed by a mackie amp. in my entire ht setup, in terms of bang for the buck, this is it.
even still, sometimes after a bassy seen in a movie ( matrix comes to mind when neo is shooting that insane gun into the high rise, from the hellicopter) ill pause the movie to recover and me and my freinds / company will just sit there for a sec with these speechless looks on our faces...grinning stupidly....you know what im talking about right?
bottom line, the words holy sh*t and f%ck do get uttered alot when it's reference level time;)
evan,
yeah. i did have that system in college, what you don't see though is the fact that pretty much my last 2 years at ucla i was carrying 20 units a quarter while also woking about 60-65 hours a week at lax, busting my a$$. i had to pay for this addiction somehow;) unfortunately....i was so tired back than i barely got to enjoy it. it worked out for the best though...now i put in a honest 40 hour week and it's feels kinda like im vacation due to all the free time i still have left in the week.
richard,
i havent noticed any timbre issues and ive really tried to to see if i needed to make a change. truthfully i thing that the speakers just really match up well together...
also, in my old setup i used a screen. a dalite model b about 60 inch by 90 inch or so. the truth is that the screen in this new setup was more of a pain than benefit. for example id always have to zoom up or down the image to fit the screen. now i just zoom up or down till the image is the size i want. also, the room looks cleaner with out the pull down screen. i breifly did consider making a permanent screen but than id run into the whole issue of making the image match the constraints of the screen which adds to the setup time to watch a movie. maybe this sounds kinda lazy...but when i want to watch a movie..i want to fire up the equipment, and get it started...know what i mean?

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
My god that sub's big!! You could probably launch supplies to the spacestation with it! Think about it, the first truly reusable launch vehicle. All it takes is a few explosions from a movie to build up enough pressure to launch! :laugh:
Pete

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
How did you mount the drivers? One on each endcap? Ports?

7 ft is HUGE!!! I wish I could hear that monster.

Kevin George

Stunt Coordinator
hi jeff,
the subs are mounted on each end cap. the ports are about 9 inches wide , 15 or so inches long, and there is one per end cap. hell, if your ever in ca and wanna hear it get in touch...i love demoing it. my neighboors afectionately, at least id like to think, have come to call it the tube of doom;)

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh good, I'm glad that you too have to work for it. I have to save my ass of too!

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Looks good. :emoji_thumbsup: Are you just projecting on the wall now? If so, do you notice a difference in picture quality?
Jon

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Hey, great looking setup. It looks like, due to the staircase in the back of the room (is that right? hard to tell from the pics) that this room leads upstairs. During the day, do you have lighting problems with the projector? I am thinking about going FP in my new setup, but I dont have light control for the rooms upstairs (living, dining, kitchen) and there is no door to close off my HT room. During the day, even though the room I am in is halfway under ground and only has one blocked out window, I am worried about ambient light from up the short (only four stairs) staircase. How does your setup work?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
That is a most interesting setup you have there with the rear and front projection. Nice selection of equipment too.

Kevin George

Stunt Coordinator
guys,
thanks for the kind words...
about the screen...i used a screen in my past setup and to tell the truth i really dont see much of a difference right now by projeting onto the wall. even still i think i may investigate screens becuase if anything im thingking that a screen would make the room look more finished.
does anybody know a good material to use for a diy screen. also, if i make one i may try to make it grey. ive heard good things about grey screens. anyone have any ideas...perhaps a material that i can buy that is already a good shade of grey. or can someone reccommend a good materail and paint combination.
thanks!

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Cool setup! I like it!

I don't generally looked at other HT picts, because I'm a renter. And I no desire to get depressed by the great setups home OWNERS have. Once I leave the Bay Area maybe that could change. Once I own, I'll check everyone's setups for ideas.

Kevin, maybe it was someone elses idea for the screen mounting, but I really like it. That's a great idea to put it right there in front of you, it almost hides in the cabinet. Very nice, I might be borrowing that idea someday.

Kevin George

Stunt Coordinator
jeff,
thanks alot. youre right, in my old setup the screen worked very well that way. you could still watch the big screen just fine and than when it was movie time you simply pulled the screen down for the right aspect ratio and you were done.
fwiw, people would tell me they didnt even notice the screen until i pulled it down sometimes. i guess i just like for things to have a very simple clean look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks