What's new

Everwood Season 3 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
IF, and this is a big IF, Ephram does get into Julliard, what will become of Everwood? Would he go, and the rest of the cast remain? Will Amy go to the Ivy League school (Harvard? Yale? I forget which one Harold was really keen on) that Ephram sent in the application for for Amy earlier this season.

Could Everwood withstand both Ephram and Amy leaving the show? I think it could, but new characters would need to be introduced (plus, you have to wonder if both Irv and Edna will leave, or just Irv).

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I thought it was Princeton. They can't really get away with what they do on The Gilmore Girls. I'm guessing he doesn't get in.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Princeton. I'd imagine they'd go the "Dawson's Creek" route, with storylines on both coasts. Doesn't really fit with the name "Everwood" but oh well. I know they signed Hannah - who's a junior on the show - for two seasons. Bright will be sticking around so they could probably shift the primary teen storyline to them. The period episode showed the beginning fissures between Delia and Andy, so maybe the latter seasons could have Andy's home moments focus on that relationship.

If they had balls, they'd move Ephram and Amy from the forefront and return it to being a show about that town, with them becoming recurring characters. But I'm sure the WB will make sure their pretty leads stay at the forefront, whether they're still living in Everwood or not.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I know the episode isn't even over yet, but...
Irv's back!!!
How cool is that? "A Moutain Town" is Irv's novel, presumably composed of all of the narrations from two years and one episode! Made my day, too! It's "Everwood"! As great as last week's episode was, I forgot what that "Everwood" feeling feels like.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This was such a cruel, cruel cliffhanger (probably about 6 weeks long).

The way the writers weave the familial connections between Andy and Ephram, only to blow it up once Ephram finds out what Andy did, was pretty heartbreaking stuff. Rocky road ain't just an ice cream flavor.

I didn't like that Madison just happened to be in NYC at the precise spot where Ephram decides to show off his chops to burn off his nervous energy. The laws of happenstance were stretched with this bit of "coincidence" to amp up the dramatic overtones of the new situation.

I was very happy to hear Irv's narration again, and finally the writers tie the earlier seasons of narration with Irv's book. But he can't have finished the book, can he?

Speculation: I am guessing Ephram blows the audition once he finds out what happened, and that blows any chance of Andy returning to NY.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There's a fascinating article on contemporary shows using NYC as the city of tragedy since 9/11. Here's the "Everwood" bit:
Also, apparently my post following the episode didn't make it through. Here's what I had to say, disregard the overlap with what Mr. Sun has already covered:
This episode is a perfect example of why Everwood still needs narration, even as it served as a perfect justification for doing away with it. Irv's narration during that rooftop scene kept us on our seats right to the very last moment. I kept waiting for him to say, "Wait. I have something to tell you." But it never came.

And for the first time, I'm okay with that. Letting Madison tell him is the only apology he could really give her. For the first time, I see their relationship as strong enough to survive it.

This episode WAS season one Everwood. Clearly the sweeps episode of the season, and yet the focus was entirely on the intimate. When Edna starts to crack a little, it just breaks my heart, since she's such an old warhorse. Irv is the last of the troubadours, I swear. What a beautiful scene of reconnection; thinking that all of what we've heard across the first two seasons is in there made me damn near cry. I love that Bright loves Hannah, and I love even more that the show isn't turning it into a soap opera story thread. And as much as I love Hannah, I'm glad she wasn't in this episode. This episode needed to focus on the Season One regulars (with the obvious necessary exception of Madison herself). I love that Harold invited Irv over when he hated him when we first met his character. I loved Edna tearing Irv's editor apart with a whole slew of words you'd never expect out of a grandmother. I loved Andy's look of sadness and pity when he heard the other surgeon say that he'd missed his daughter's birthday party. I love that Andy didn't ask for forgiveness from Madison.

I HATED the cliffhanger, but I knew it was coming. And honestly, if not waiting a month and a half for the resolution would have meant losing ANY of the rest of the episode, I'm more than happy to wait. Bravo Everwood. Was I the only one who caught the violin Everwood theme at the end? This is an Event episode done right. Bravo.

Beau

Supporting Actor
Didn't notice that was what it was. Good catch.

Really good episode. Good to see Irv's narration back, even if it was only for this episode. I hate cliffhangers(they are so cruel), but the episode was really good so it's alright. Not gonna be too long of wait.

Chuck_W

Second Unit

I've missed Irv's narration this season as well. Maybe we are the minority though...I think I remember TV Guide ripping on the narration last season.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Great episode, although I agree with Patrick that having Madison and Ephram run into each other in NYC is too coincidental (and yet predictable).

Cliff-hangers are annoying to me. I just hope they don't wrap this up in one episode after the haitus. If Madison tells Ephram everything and reveals she didn't keep the baby only to have Ephram blow his audition so that we end up with everybody except Madison back in Everwood and Ephram and Andy's relationship "reset" to where it was 2 years ago, I will feel that the writers took the lazy way out.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
I happy for the return of the narration. I am afraid it is just a tease and won't be on the next episode. Oh well, I will take what I can get. Bright had some really funny lines last night. A little more graphic than I remember in the past, though.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget, back from a six week hiatus, Everwood tonight!

4/18/05

Episode preview:

On the morning of his Julliard audition in New York, Ephram (Gregory Smith) makes plans to meet up with Madison (guest star Sarah Lancaster) for coffee, only to have his entire world come crashing down around him when she tells him that she was pregnant with their child. This devastating revelation causes Ephram to make decisions that will altar the course of his life. Meanwhile, back in Everwood, Amy (Emily VanCamp) can't quite make heads or tails of what will happen to her relationship with Ephram once he learns the truth about Madison, and Dr. Abbott (Tom Amandes) counsels a man (guest star Chris Penn) whose son may die as a result of a hunting accident.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Gah, the final scene got to me.

Sarah Lancaster did some really good work in her scene with Gregory Smith.

Fathers and sons: for now, the Chris Penn character has lost his son permanently, Andy has lost his son for the time being, and Harold does his best to re-connect with Bright (but Harold should never be allowed to say "Boo-yeah" ever again).

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I gave up on 24 after last week, and thanks to a generous friend with a TIVO DVD-R, I was caught up to tonight's episode.

My head is spinning. My wife cried twice. I think I cried, too, but you'll never prove it.

My wife was cursing the show for 20 minutes after it ended since it involved her so much that she felt horrible for ephram and Andy.

Ephram will try to find his son, I am sure. He has a legal right to due to the deception. But to me the most tragic moment was walking out of the audition. You don't get a second chance at Julliard. He'll be nothing more than a piano man now. So much has built up to that audition, and it was gone.

Amy must live with the worms in her stomach, knowing that she knew about the secret. And yet, she must help Ephram through it.

And fuckin' A, Irv was back narrating again! Woohoo! I guess we are all supposed to think that Everwood is just his book playing out, that he is narrating his book and has been the whole show? Or did they just finally give that storyline the respect that it deserves and provided the reason for ending Irv's narration?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What I think I loved most was that, within the spoilers we'd already gotten, the episode played out with the least morally filthy characterizations of Madison and Andy possible. I would have prefered Andy tell Ephram, but since Madison was going to, I'm damn glad he lived up to his role in things straight out of the gate when he found out Madison hadn't revealed his part in things. I also liked the way Madison's probes revealed her figuring out how much she should reveal - she clearly did still care for him and what would happen to him. The show's in a really surreal, decentralized place right now. Considering the theme of fathers with sons, it was nice to see one happy ending, within the Abbott household. Harold's starting to realize what he has to lose now. Beautifully done.

Ivan: Where was the narration?

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I swear both Irv's character and Edna's narrated part of this episode. Or am I confused with the previous one? I watched them back to back Monday night.

Irv writing his book and narrating parts of it at the same time. Ringing any bells? If not I need to get my medication adjusted!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks