What's new

Ever wonder what is your purpose in life? (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im with Buzz

I took some heat for a thread awhile back when I talked about living a simpler life. Living simply is how I put it. People mistook what I was saying for having no ambition or being against advancement which isnt what I meant at all.

'If you can be happy without money, that's great, but how many of us can really do that?"

No one can live without money, but if you limit the things you want and need you can live with less. If you want the jetski, hummer and 5000 sq foot house (and the bills it includes)well then youll have to work for it. For a long time. And you are accountable for those things - which means maybe a longer commute to make that extra 20K a year or possibly longer hours, depending on raises,etc

Is it worth it? Not to me. Id rather have a 1500 sq foot house and skip the hummer and jetski. Deal with less aggravation, and have more time to myself.

Now for someone who likes their job it may be easier to justify the time spent - but how many do these things without liking their job, but want the "stuff".

"The only way to win is to have no debts and have all of your assets in things that cannot be deflated in value (basically commodities)."

I paid off my debt years ago and even went without a credit card for a few years. I have one now, with a decent limit that I use for emergencies. My only debt is my house which I look at as a investment (w/ my G/F weve made about 50 K in upgrades). Basically with very few exepctions, if I cant buy it outright,I dont need it.

Ive been doing IT work at IBM for 10 years now. I hate it, I hate the company. I could right a book about the shit they do to employees and especially contractors(who they really shit on) every day.When I sell my house Im going to take some time of and if necessary get training for whatever it is I decide I want to do for the next 20 years.

I know one thing,it will be something I enjoy doing.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Mark,

I could not agree with you more. The United States is quickly turning into Pakistan regarding the distribution of wealth. With the government now printing funny money (currency currently on the market is no longer being reported!!!!), commodities are a must. Unfortunately, one of the safest long term investments, real estate, is out of wack right now.

How does this relate with the original topic... I am not really sure. However, if a person is able to knock out their mortgage quickly, a whole world of life's options become available to them when they are no longer tied to their job and making that monthly payment. This goes back to my earlier thoughts that working is not one's purpose in life.

J

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Unfortunately, one of the safest long term investments, real estate, is out of wack right now."

But when the right deal comes along its worth it. But that doesnt mean you need to live beyond your means.I had been living in the same apt for 14 years at $800 a month. The guy who owned it had built the place for about 70K. Thats a pretty big profit(and it was a duplex).

He sells it, new owner comes along and wants to almost double my rent.

I decided to look into houses instead. I was able to get a real fixer upper for 179K(owing 100). Its in a great area but the peopel who owned it were complete slobsand let the place go(in a area when the average home is between 300-400). I invested 50K and pretty much gut the place, and rebuilt it -a back deck, a extra bathroom,all hardwood floors, pavers out front,etc and its worth over 320K now.

I have to split profits with my G/F and brother but Ill still make money. When you rent you get nothing back.

I know people who are struggling to make their mortgage payments becuase they went overboard when buying homes. If they can resell it, its all good, but I have seen some 20 year IBMers who got laid off well before getting their time in,so IBM could save money (at least 20 off the top of my head in the past 3 years.My dept went from 25 people down to 3 including myself)and most were worried about how are they gonna pay their 2500 a month mortgage.

They loved to brag about their toys but never thought getting laid off would happen and suddenly at 50 their looking at "what am I gonna to to pay my mortgage?"

"This goes back to my earlier thoughts that working is not one's purpose in life."

Nope:)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Please don't confuse hard working providers with poor planners.

What about HT? I hear you mentioning Hummers and Big homes, and Jet Skiis, but what about those (especially here) who get into HT? I bet they have to work hard for that money. Are they waisting their lives, working to pay for expensive HT equipment?

Working may not be our 'purpose', but is it considered a waste of life if we're not doing what we believe our 'purpose' is??

And I bet a lot of people would find themselves wondering how to pay for their homes if they got laid off...people with $750,000 homes, as well as people with $75,000 homes.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"What about HT? I hear you mentioning Hummers and Big homes, and Jet Skiis, but what about those (especially here) who get into HT? I bet they have to work hard for that money. Are they waisting their lives, working to pay for expensive HT equipment?"

I can only speak for myself, but I think those expenses are small compared to what Im talking about. Unless you make very little money or your money is otherwise occupied, HT really doesnt cost much - unless your buying very expensive equiptment or constantly upgrading.

Even if you are on a budget, and as a former LD collector who made very littlein those days(mid 20s),I was for years.But again I saved for what I wanted. I had a HT fund I contributed to but I didnt put myself in debt to have what I wanted. I didnt live beyond my means.

I have a 1500 TV,300 receiver, 200 pioneer region free player and about another 800 on speakers(I upgraded the speakers Id had since 97 in the beginning of the year). All spread out over time.TV 2 years old, receiver 4 years old,dvd player 3 years old, speakers this year. I knew what I wanted to spend and none of it went on credit. Isnt that small compared to more extravagant expenses.

E

Eric Kahn

If I was laid off, my 75K house would be gone as I have no savings whatsoever
no problem though, I can always get more stuff, but the important things, my cats, would still be with me, the rest can be sold to be replaced at a later time, or never as circumstance allows

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But again, that has nothing to do with "making money" - that's about stupidity.

I know people who barely make $30K/year and they live beyond their means. I know people who would be facing the same "What do I do now?" situation if they were laid off from work.

But I think I know what's going on here. Most people become jealous of others who make a TON of money, buy expensive things, and then show them off. We view these people as "Soulless" or "Kidding Themselves" because they aren't focusing on the real meaning of life", etc.

It's almost like we condemn wealthy people for living beyond their means, while it's perfectly acceptable for non-rich people to do the same thing.

My brother doesn't make a lot of money, but he goes on several vacations a year, buys homes he can't afford, buys condos in Florida (as investments), etc. - If he was ever laid off, he'd be up shits creek, but because he doesn't make a lot of money, those expenses are seen as "He's just trying to enjoy life"...yet when a wealthy person does the same thing (granted at a larger level because the percentages are higher), it's not seen the same way.

Jon, forgive me if this is incorrect, but there almost seemed to be a bit of smirk in your posts about those people who got laid off and can no longer afford their expensive toys. It's almost like a "You got what was coming to ya" thing. Our jealousy almost takes joy in the fact that they can no longer afford the things they showed off before.

But if we ever did that to someone like my brother, we'd be looked down upon.

What gives? Why the double standard? I think it all goes back to the subject of the thread...Once someone starts making a ton more money than the rest of us, we all of a sudden get into this strange feeling that this 'wealthy' person is no longer connected with the meaning of life and we almost want to route for their demise...or we take pride in the fact that we can live without the money they make.

It's really just jealousy...we all do it. It's what makes us happy, convincing ourselves that our lives are just as good (if not better) than those who can afford the things we can not.

Sorry for the rant, but I never bought into the "Money Makers are too wrapped up in work to really enjoy life" theory.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"But again, that has nothing to do with "making money" - that's about stupidity."

No argument from me there:)

"Jon, forgive me if this is incorrect, but there almost seemed to be a bit of smirk in your posts about those people who got laid off and can no longer afford their expensive toys."

Another thing I live by is you make your bed so you have to sleep in it.As Chris Rock said life is long, especially if you make the wrong decisions. I dont care what others do with their money. However some of those people were very arrogant and didnt treat other people very well. Ive seen them threaten other peoples jobs,often for trifle things. People with families.Ive seen backstabbing,jealousy amongst themselves,powerplays and alot of what was IMHO unethical and basically shitty behavior from them. My lack of sympathy for some of these people doesnt have to do with their money but character. So when a arrogant backstabbing douchebag who tried to get a cleaner fired becuase they didnt vacuum before a meeting(when it wasnt his fault) is telling me about how they got a corvette for their birthday(yes really), buys a ferrari (yes really)or is bragging about their 20K bonus when IMHO they should have spent their money more wisely, no sorry no sympathy for them. Maybe its karma.

Is it jealousy. No, becuase I have no interest in those things. If I won a corvette or ferrari, Id sell it and save the money. Do I think its worth the late hours, working from home,being on call and such to have "better" things. No. Id rather spend my time doing other things.

My wants these days dont really dont go beyond DVDs or CDs.

"Once someone starts making a ton more money than the rest of us, we all of a sudden get into this strange feeling that this 'wealthy' person is no longer connected with the meaning of life and we almost want to route for their demise"

I never looked at the examples I gave as no longer connected with the meaning of life. Just spending their money unwisely(and for those people, learning how to treat other human beings). But as Ive said,its their choice and its a question of personal wants,choices and values.

Mark you and I are speaking about personal reference,ourselves and people we know.

You like your job and find it personally rewarding. Its a positive for you since you like the work you do and it also provides you with the income to get things you like. So its rewarding on both fronts.

Myself(and Buzz) hate what we do. It something I need to do to live, it pays the bills and nothing more. I put in my time, do what I have to and Im gone. Now if say for example I drew comic books (childhood dream) for a living and loved what I did. Well then maybe I wouldnt mind putting in 18 hours a day becuase I did something I loved and found it rewarding. I would enrich my life and the personal sacrifice of time,effert,etc would be rewarding to me.

Im talking about people who work jobs they dont really like in order to have "stuff". This obviously doesnt apply to you.

I know someone who 2 years ago bought a 300K house and is now a expecting father who agreed to be on call,increasing his pay because he now has a kid on the way as well. He hates his job, but its all his choice.

How many people visiting this thread like what they do for a living and feel it really enriches their lives?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

As I have stated before, I love my job. It requires responsibility, challenge, creativity, knowledge, experience and talent. I've worked my ass off in my field (Software Engineering), starting at a measly $17,500 a year in 1994 in a place where I offered to empty waste baskets in order to get in the door. Never got a handout from anyone and always relied on my own wits to get by. Now I get to play with complex systems that cost millions, are responsible for billions, and there is an element of creativity in my work that is usually is not present in most financial applications. I also work with bright, talented people who feel the same as me. I can't say there are not times when I wish I was someplace other than work (mostly during meetings with management), but I'm doing the job I dreamed of having when I was 16 years old and being a type 'A' personality who thrives on stress and challenge, I'm happy as a pig in slop.

I really do not know why people who hate their jobs stay with them. Did those who hate their jobs pick a field which interested them, did you just fall into it or did you pick it for the money? I ask because I knew what I wanted to do since I bought a Commodore Vic 20 approximately 25 years ago and I kept plugging until I found a place I could be happy. That and the fact that I always felt it was better to make the best of a situation than to sit and bitch about it. I figure I have to put in at least 40 hours a week at work, might as well have a little fun while I'm at it. YMMV.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Been away this weekend (hiking in the catskills), but I'm with Buzz on this, but I'm not ready to sell it all and live in the woods yet.

Like Jeff, I am also a software engineer, probably because my father was in the software business (COBOL programmer, IBM mainframe) and I couldn't major in obscurity in college :laugh: Although I like what I do, it doesn't define me, and I don't see any real correlation to my happiness and my job.

Unlike some people here on the HTF, I suspect, I don't upgrade my HT that often, my car is paid for, as well as my bikes, my house I just bought will not be paid for til 20 years, but other than that, I think I have it well off more than many people. Being single w/o kids helps.

As I mentioned before, my job does allow me to buy the bikes and outdoor gear, but I would still be happy with a $50 pair of hiking boots. Hiking is a fairly cheap sport, kayaking, biking, and skiing are generally not. Climbing big mountains is definitely not. But I could live without it, I love being in the mountains, don't have the big drive like some people to have to be on top of it.

Jay

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if it seems like I'm bustin' stones here, but I love a good debate ;)I think, as I mentioned, people aren't concerned with making money. They want to enjoy their time away from work. That's great and all, but it's so hard to live without money, so (IMHO) it's kind of dangerous thinking when you view your job as a "because you have to work" kind of a thing.

A lot of people fall into that trap and just try to ignore those 40 hours per week. I can't imagine trying to ignore such an integral part of my life, but that's what a lot of people do. They live for the time they're not at their job.

I mean, there's a difference between your job being your life and what I'm talking about here. There are definitely those who go to the extreme, but I'm talking a little less of that extreme. I'm talking about incorporating your job as part of your life.

Actually, that just made me think of something. Take those people who DO just work because they have to. You know, the ones who are more concerned with time off to 'enjoy life'. It seems like all they do (when they're out having a good time) is bitch about their jobs. When a group of my friends go out to a bar on the weekends, they drink and complain about their miserable jobs.

People get on my case about me loving my job and how I may work a bit much and I'm always thinking about computers, etc., but at least I'm happy about it. When I'm not at work, I'm not bitching about my job. I can enjoy 100% of my time off...and when Sunday Night rolls around, I'm actually still in a good mood while everyone else is miserable because they have to go to work the next day.

I guess what I mean is, there's a perfect balance out there. Work and life go together, so you might as well enjoy both equally. There's nothing wrong about loving ones job.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

Because I can afford it. If I couldn't afford it, I would still be happy (though perhaps with wet feet? :) because I would still be hiking. Maybe an analogy: When I moved to my new place, I wasn't going to install a landline cause I'd use my cell phone. But since I had dial up, I left my PC with my parents and thought I might go crazy without it. But frankly, I don't miss it at all now and have adapted well. I figure if I ever need internet access at home, I could go to the library which is not far away and closer than my parents. So, I think I could adapt to less stuff with less money, but I will still be hiking.

I have friends with a lot more hiking/climbing gear than me, but I think I am as happy to be out there as they are, maybe I use the 4.5lb summer tent versus their 2lb ultralight, but I still enjoy the hike as much as they do. So, a more expensive boots might provide more comfort and perhaps more happiness, but not necessarily because I think I am adaptable. Many things are more expensive because of the material and not necessarily the function, i.e. using titanium or carbon fiber instead of aluminum or steel.

Jay

David McGough

Second Unit
You are here with no kids to help pay for my kids college.
My tution this year is about 12K , so anti up my friend.
Its you calling

Jim_F

Screenwriter

Sometimes. For today, my short answer is: "To benefit my fellows, take care of my reponsibilities, and enjoy what life has to offer." I like to keep it simple. If I have a higher calling, it'll no doubt be thrust upon me in due time. No rush.

Josh Edens

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Edens
I have carefully read the whole thread and really enjoyed the discussion. I’m glad to see that many people here have given some serious thought to their lives’ meaning. I too spent some time pondering it and came to some conclusions, which I would like to now share.

- First of all, life derives its meaning from its purpose.

- Second, the purpose of life is to learn everything there is to learn about nature ***.

- Third, since we (like all other forms of life) are a manifestation of nature, what’s really happening is that nature is attempting to learn everything about itself. This, I think, is similar to what BrianW was talking about.

*** I know that I need to provide support for this statement. Basically, it’s because nature forces us to study it – our survival depends on our understanding of it.

I know my explanations here are mostly inadequate. I would be happy to elaborate if anybody is interested. I might as well also add that I wrote a book about this very topic (and a few others), titled Religion Society and the Meaning of Life. It’s available in all book stores online and through libraries.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D

Your purpose in life is to make of it what you will. Some make more of it then others but nothing is pre-purposed.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I found out a long time ago (though not as long ago as I wish) that people who search for meaning and purpose from within are far better off than those who search for it on the outside. Inner peace and fulfillment allows us to deal with any "race" we find ourselves in and also allows us to make the best of any bad situation.

As always, other's mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks