What's new

Ever wonder what is your purpose in life? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
ya know, whatcha doing here? Is there some existential reason you are here on earth?

Me, for example, what on earth am I here for? I'm single, no kids, working in software, doing nothing to better society, not advancing our lives in any meaningful ways... Makes me wonder if there is a purpose to all that. Kind of living the rat race, working a job, just to put all the CEOs into 140ft yachts so I can eat frozen pizza and shriek at the property tax bill.

Ho hum! Get born, grow up, get cancer, and die, makes me wonder what is the point?

So, do you think we are all here for a reason or is it like entropy-just filling up space?

Jay

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The meaning of life is whatever meaning you give it.

Quit your job,sell your home, sell all your possessions you dont really need,live simply,get a job in the tropics somewhere and... well what Dave said:)

Youll be alot happier

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
More I think about it, I really think it's entropy. We are here to fill up space... Imagine the earth without people.... The horror!

:crazy:

Jay

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I've done my job as a proud member of our species: I reproduced. Since I don't plan on repeating the exploit, I've evidently outlived my usefulness in the grand scheme of things. Feel free to kill me whenever.

--
H

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Since I dont and will never have kids should I just kill myself now then?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
See the aliens and ghosts thread. Apparently, aliens, who are only understood by rejection of western concepts of reality, use us for studies via anal probes after jumping dimensionally via chakra stones and crystals and blahbitty, blah blah, or something like that (the thread lost me at "rejection of western concepts of reality").

Oh yeah and chicks. Chicks is how the aliens keep us complacent.:D

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
My best determination so far is that I am a worthless blood bag, and there is no meaning whatsoever...only a chaotic, and eventually endless, downwardly spiralling treadmill of despair.

But I could be wrong. There are motorcycles.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
You mean its not to watch Bladerunner in an perpetually quality-increasing experience (VHS, Laserdisc, dolby pro logic, directors cut, 5.1, HD, hologram*, in-situ mega-stimula-node movie placement*) while at the same time spending more and more money to achieve the next level supplied by a stress inducing and ultimately unfulfilling capatilistic money slave cubicle world which can only be beset by watching repeated escapist movies like Bladerunner, thereby rendering the entire closed system as a cyclical nightmare ?

Damn, I thought I had a grip on this stuff...

* note: technology not yet invented.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Whoever said reproduction gets a ribbon.

Saw my doc yesterday and she mentioned that there must be some force in the universe that put everything together. After I left, I thought, "how curious, sounds like she believes in intelligent design, but, as a scientist, how can she disagree with evolution?" Now, I don't know for a fact that she doesn't believe in evolution, but it would seem to be a bit of a contradiction.

Back to topic; nature's only interest is propagation of the species.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm only here until Control lets me return to my own world.

J/K: I fill them important "consumer" role in our society.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea I pretty much agree with Buzz (except for the motorcycle part)which is why I say its important to find happiness where you can.

I basically live for the 3 hours of band practice I have each week :)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Jay, take your bike and use it to ride ... ride far, far away. When you finally stop, that's where you will find your purpose in life.

~T

mylan

Screenwriter
If reproduction is the reason, i'm screwed! My wife and I can't have children so I guess we're on that work, get money, consume, work some more, repeat, endless cycle kind of existence.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
This is a hard question to answer without treading on the religion rules. With out my christianity, I would be wondering what my reason for living is also. To answer "why am I here" you need to know where you came from and also where you want to end up in the future.
Dave

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

The point of the journey is not to arrive. :P

Sounds like a good idea, but all my vacation is shot...

For those of us that haven't reproduced, maybe we are to serve as a control for the great experiment known as the human race.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks