Ever trashed a BIOS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Gillespie, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I have. Last weekend I had to flash upgrade the BIOS on a Soyo Socket 7 mobo that I got off Ebay. Having flashed the one on my Asus CUBX several times in the past I was confident it would work.
    Oh no.
    I followed the installation instructions to the letter, but the installation app froze half way through the flash, leaving the motherboard as a useless pile of junk. Couldn't even get past POST.
    But I saw someone over on AnandTech mention a small company called BadFlash. Sure enough, on http://www.badflash.com
    "One does not simply walk into Mordor."
    Rob's Place
    [Edited last by Rob Gillespie on August 16, 2001 at 04:09 PM]

2. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

3. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

Yeah the bios chip on your motherboard just pops right out incase ya ever screw one up. I've never fried one *knock on wood* but my bro-in-law has :p He didn't actually fry it his power went out while he was flashing. Never flash a bios during a storm or whenever there is a chance of power-outtage [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Steve,
    DVD Collection

4. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

If you live in california, don't flash your bios unless it is going to be a nice cool day. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I've been lucky so far [​IMG]
    The Soyo AWDflash program is pretty primative. I just flashed my MSI K7T- pro 2a and it was REALLY simple.
    Which MOBO did you get Rob?? The 5-eh(m) is a great mobo, but you can only go up too 500Mhz I think.
    All the jumpers to set...argh!! What bullshite!
    Brent L

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

It's the SY-5EMA+ V1.0. I won it on Ebay for £65 which included an AMD K63-450. Those chips still go for a lot of money so it was a bit of a bargain.
    It's actually a really nice motherboard and will great for a second system.