What's new

Ever think you turned off your RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
After being away from my Pioneer 53" for a couple of days I went in the Home Theater to fire it up. I turned on my receiver and DVD player first. When I did the TV popped on to it's JVC display coming from the DVD player. I did not touch the TV powere button! What that means is that I left the thing on for about 48 hours straight!

Does anyone know if this kind of thing ccan cause a problem? I don't believe burn-in is at issue because the whole screen was black. But how's the wear and tear? The set is about 15 months old.

Ric

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ric, just this one time I wouldn't worry about it -- especially since the CRTs weren't in use and wearing out. Some amount of -- no offense -- "idiot-proof" (that's the phrase, not a description of you) engineering is built into these things. Sony and other OEMs know that owners occasionally make mistakes and leave the units on without knowing it. As long as the unit is functioning properly, things are fine.

Brent_j

Stunt Coordinator
That is what I enjoy on my 65" Mitsu, with no input signal detected it shuts itself off after 4 minutes. Great with kids who forget to turn off cartoons.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I'm always paranoid about leaving my Sony RPTV on by mistake as it leaves up the green input source indicator when no signal is present. You know, DVD, Video 3, that kind of thing. Always wondered if it would power off after a period of time but don't want to try it.

N

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the reassurance. I gotta say I was a little shocked when I saw the big JVC logo pop up from the DVD player. I had covered up the little power light with black tape, cuz I like complete darkness around the screen. So, its really hard to tell if the thing is on when there is no signal feeding into it. Still, after 15 months... I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Ric

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Unless there was no menus, I certailny wouldn't worry about it. I know with commercial displays, there sometimes can be a benefit in electronics longevity in keeping htem on 24/7. There are other downsides in terms of wear on parts of the tube other than the phosphor though. I certailny wouldn't worry if there wasnt anything frozen on the screen for one night, no problem at all.

scotty

Auditioning
My Hitachi will turn on automaticaly if I have a setting in the menu set to Auto input sensor. It's in the "name the inputs" on my tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks